Church of the Compadre...

Being on a fixed income the price for his internet connection finally got high enough that he had to drop it and so he left all the forums a few years ago.
Hope he's still out here swinging and his health is decent.
He inspired many, all the accolades he received in the past, now and in the future he deserves.
Entertaining and helpful he is one of the good ones.

Last edited:
I was hoping someone had info. Tabdog was my mentor and THE reason I have a Compadre. I feel a personal debt as he stood up for me and was banned on another forum- simply a misunderstanding-but if you knew Tab, he would not mix words. I felt helpless to remedy the misunderstanding-but being the person he was he told me no problem. It wasn't just the forum's loss, but many friends were completely shocked and said so. His career dealt with high tech locating devices and he was expert at the different tonal responses and this carried over into his use of the Compadre. He could listen to the responses and tell size, shape, and in some instances, composition of the object. His pics captivated most viewers. Humor was abundant as he "invented" a dollar bill locator for his Vaquero, and dug up a "treasure" of cash. And how could anyone not laugh at the April fool's "Prehistoric" coin he found. Hope he's fine.:yes:

Re: Missing those Tabdog tot lot posts & photos !

Attached is a post Tabdog did on Friendly Metal Detecting Forums back on 07-26-2011 11:25 AM that I printed a copy of at that time. As you can see in the upper right-hand corner, it is a 2-page print-off, but the only thing on the second page is his sign-out at the bottom "Tabdog / TabDog in Arkie Land".

I thought some of his fans might be interested to know what he was going through in the summer of 2011.

ToddB64

Attachments

• Re ; Missing those Tabdog tot lot posts & photos ! 002.jpg
    Re ; Missing those Tabdog tot lot posts & photos ! 002.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Addendum to my post #840 on page 84 of this COTC thread re Tabdog.

As an afterthought, I decided to make it easy for viewers interested in reading Tabdog's post on Treasure Quest Metal Detecting Forum dated 07-01-2010, 12:13 AM and Titled:"Trouble in 2010 But Counting my Blessings". So here it is, attached below.

Sorry the picture isn't sharper and easier to read.

ToddB64 :tiphat:

Attachments

• ''Trouble in 2010 But Counting my Blessings'', Tabdog 001.jpg
    ''Trouble in 2010 But Counting my Blessings'', Tabdog 001.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:

Hello,

I will be swinging a compadre in Japan in a week or two.
I will when it arrives, be letting everyone know what, and if I find anything.

My skill level is zero, so it might take some time for me to post anything interesting, but I'll preach the compadre in this corner of the world.

Hello,

I will be swinging a compadre in Japan in a week or two.
I will when it arrives, be letting everyone know what, and if I find anything.

My skill level is zero, so it might take some time for me to post anything interesting, but I'll preach the compadre in this corner of the world.

Welcome!
It should find just as much metal as we can in the dirt and beaches over here.
You just have a ton more targets hiding out down there by far than we do.
Quite an advantage to hunt in a country where 99.999% of the people never picked up, understood or did this hobby for the last 50 years like over here and in Europe.
Many hunters there have told us of hunting trips to some beaches where they typically come home with between $50 and $100 dollars worth of your coins or more.

Plus in that country anything less than 22k gold is pretty much considered garbage, even 18k is usually only worn by the, "poor people", so your chances of finding even shallow high karat gold on the beach or in the dirt is pretty good.

Looking forward to your pics of your finds.

A basic primer for starting out using this fun tool here...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=77822

At first that one tone might sound the same on all targets.
Over time you will come to know there is way more to that one tone than many can believe.

Good luck their in Japan. I know you will do good with the compadre. New members have to bring donuts to church. That is the gospel.
Take your time with it. It will find great things. What coil did you get . The 5.75 or the 8". KEN

A basic primer for starting out using this fun tool here...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=77822

At first that one tone might sound the same on all targets.
Over time you will come to know there is way more to that one tone than many can believe.

Thank you for all your advice. I've been reading up on the compadre while in wait. I haven't received the md yet so I'm yet to try it out.

Good luck their in Japan. I know you will do good with the compadre. New members have to bring donuts to church. That is the gospel.
Take your time with it. It will find great things. What coil did you get . The 5.75 or the 8". KEN

I'll be hard pressed to find good donuts here :D
I can however, offer some outstanding mochi!

I got the 8. Not sure if it was the right choice considering the large amount of junk I'm expecting to sift through here, but I'll make it work? :p

Well I ordered a Compadre this morning. So the church awaits. From what I have read and watched the Compadre looks like a great first metal detector. I ordered a coil cover for it, and I just recently picked up a Viking digger from Ironclad tools. Next on my list is headphones and a pinpointer.

Thanks to all for this great thread.

Jason

Well I ordered a Compadre this morning. So the church awaits. From what I have read and watched the Compadre looks like a great first metal detector. I ordered a coil cover for it, and I just recently picked up a Viking digger from Ironclad tools. Next on my list is headphones and a pinpointer.

Jason

Congrats and many finds with the Compadre. It is a great machine.I don't like the headphone jack location for over the ear head phones.I use a set of skull candy ear bud type head phones, you'll need an adapter as well but they aren't expensive to buy.

Jason

Welcome!
A very productive and surprising machine...sometimes even shocking.
Dollar for dollar, pound for pound one of the best values out there as a starter unit or for the more experienced, too.

If you want to count in the fun factor...priceless!

bibelot...I have an adapter but do you find the volume is to loud with ear buds ( no way to adjust the volume)

Jason

Jason

Congrats on a great choice. I love my compadre. I'll go over the same area I just covered with my F70 with my nel hunter coil and I'll pick up stuff that was missed with that big coil. This with the 8" doughnut coil on the compadre. I found an old beaver tail pulltab in my yard the other day with the compadre...nothing remarkable about a pulltab, but this one was 6" down and still got a strong hit.

bibelot...I have an adapter but do you find the volume is to loud with ear buds ( no way to adjust the volume)

Jason

I never did.
Don't turn it on with any kind of buds or headphones on however...you will not like it at all if you do.

I didn't find it too loud but as Digger said, don't plug the headset into the adapter until after the start up has started. I leave the adapter in so the neighborhood isn't listening to the start up and then just plug into the adapter and go. The start up is annoying but the machine works so well, it's easy to forgive the stupid start up noise.

Church of the Compadre...evilpenguinj's post #850

Hi evilpenguinj ! :tiphat:

Re your post #850 01-27-17, 10:59 AM , regarding a pinpointer I can whole-heartedly recommend either the Garrett Pro-pointer AT (aka orange "Carrot") or Treasure Products Vibra-Probe, both waterproof.

I've had the Vibra-Probe 570 model for years and it worked perfectly until about the fifth year when the vibrator motor slowed down. However, the company replaced that component free of charge, even though out of warranty ! It has operated like new ever since and serves as my back-up (Why "back-up"...see next paragraph.)

Last year my brother ask what I would like for my 75th B-D. Well, I had been reading all the positive reviews on the Carrot and had been thinking about saving money for one. When I mentioned that to him "glory be" he offered to buy it for me ! At first I declined, not wanting him to spend that much on a B-D present, but he insisted !

I really like the performance of the Carrot with all the different operational features, so it's my "go to" pointer now ! If you get this one, you may have to develop your sense of timing when pressing the button to change settings, but don't be discouraged; with a little practice it will come to you and IMO you will be happy with it ever after ! (Some folks catch-on right away !)

Hope this helps you make a decision on your choice of pin-pointer.

As for head phones, I've been using a set of over-the-head "Ratphones Max" head phones since July, 2008, made at Detect USA, by Rick Viola. He was offering some new headphone technology at the time and I went for it.

Re the sound produced by the Rats, this has been good. The only negative I have is that the leather ear pads started to show cracks after a few years, despite the fact that I always wiped them clean of sweat with warm water on a paper towel and blotted them dry after every hunt before storing. However, now that I think about it, maybe I should have finished-up with a good leather oil product ! :dash2: Ouch!, why didn't I think of that before!

I tried contacting Rick Viola when the ear pads first began to show some cracking, but couldn't reach him; he had gone out of business I guess ! So, I've been using these headphones ever since "as is" and will buy some generic replacement pads when I get the urge. I'm satisfied well enough with these headphones right now, ear pad cracks an-all ! :ewink:

So that's my 2 cents and hope it helps.

Happy Hunting !

ToddB64

OK I am sure this is a really stupid question, but is putting the Compadre together a simple thing? Are the instructions straight forward? Is there a video of someone assembling one? Looking forward to getting mine, even though it is winter and I can't really use it. I plan on trying to practice with it somewhere in my house where I can find a spot with no metal.

Thanks guys!

Jason

OK I am sure this is a really stupid question, but is putting the Compadre together a simple thing? Are the instructions straight forward? Is there a video of someone assembling one? Looking forward to getting mine, even though it is winter and I can't really use it. I plan on trying to practice with it somewhere in my house where I can find a spot with no metal.

Thanks guys!

Jason

There is an instruction and operation manual included with every one.
Complete, intensive and jam packed full of information.
Or at least as full as a silly one page manual can be.
In actuality it is pitiful, a poor excuse for a manual but there is way more info on these forums about how to use it.

Here it is...
http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/current/compadre/

Basically insert one pole into another, spring pins can be adjusted to several holes for different lengths...I have mine set to be the longest possible.
Cam locks tighten it up so there is no wiggle.

Coil "ears" are placed on the bottom rod...line up the hole and insert pin to lock in.
If the pin is plastic, great, if it is metal don't worry about it, that is normal for all the old models and maybe some new ones.

Messing around in your house might be problematic.
Could be lots of EMI, nails in floors or rebar in concrete can be picked up along with other targets you place down there if you want to practice swinging and pinpointing...but try it anyway, it could work.

I gotta say, you guys seriously have me wanting a compadre. I'm just not a huge fan of cults though. May get one for my son and just pretend to borrow it once in a while... :laughing:, but I'm not joking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom