Mint error

zimmer

I found this 1970 D penny this weekend. It appears to have an error on the S int States. It is blurry and not sharp like the rest. Is this an error and would it add to the coin value?

Attachments

• 20161114_181344.jpg
    20161114_181344.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 779
  • 20161114_181358.jpg
    20161114_181358.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 734
Nope..Thats what happens when oil gets on the die while minting...You can find many coins like that...its a common occurence during minting

It's called a "Strike Through Error" "Missing Element Coins" or "Filled Dies". Another name is "Grease Coin". Grease is added to the machine allowing quicker production. Some of the grease ends up on the die resulting in lightly pressed or missing lettering. Fairly common error. It's worth about a $1.00 to the collector that wants one. The coin price would be worth more if it was an extreme type of error.

It's called a "Strike Through Error" "Missing Element Coins" or "Filled Dies". Another name is "Grease Coin". Grease is added to the machine allowing quicker production. Some of the grease ends up on the die resulting in lightly pressed or missing lettering. Fairly common error. It's worth about a $1.00 to the collector that wants one. The coin price would be worth more if it was an extreme type of error.

Or if was in mint or near mint condition.

I just found a nice greaser in a roll of cents. A 19?? with "LIBER" and "GOD WE TRU" ... on the reverse is "LURIBUS UNUM".

I just found a nice greaser in a roll of cents. A 19?? with "LIBER" and "GOD WE TRU" ... on the reverse is "LURIBUS UNUM".

That would be a more extreme error....missing numbers on dates are a little more collectable (Hunted/Prized). Depending on the grade, that coin can be worth much more. Nice find, got a picture?

Back
Top Bottom