Medicine Bottle Cache

Icewing

Elite Member
I ran across these medicine just outside the back steps of an old house while digging a nearby target. The top layer was broken from cows stepping on them, but these survived. Unfortunately only one has the name embossed on the glass.

Attachments

• KIMG0244~2.jpg
    KIMG0244~2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 676
  • 22516.jpg
    22516.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 691
  • KIMG0245~2.jpg
    KIMG0245~2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 680
Now you know why it was in the biggest bottle, while her husband's heart meds were probably in the little brown ones.

Medicine bottles have some of the best names I saw one swamp root oil , now that sounds like it would work
HH

That's the one , bottles around here go fo $15 - 75 , name color age condition and size determine $ , how is the market out your way
HH

That's the one , bottles around here go fo $15 - 75 , name color age condition and size determine $ , how is the market out your way
HH

Actually. here in my area of N. Indiana there evidently aren't that many bottle collectors that go after old meds or food bottles. At auctions, I can pick 'em up pretty cheap, like a boxful for $5 at auctions. All the action seems to be in "local" milks, beers, mineral waters. Those can get some good $$, especially if it's a rare one. I have to fight for those at auctions. I think local bottles are what the bulk of collectors look for in any given area of the country. As you would expect, local bottles are worth the most in the area they come from for that reason. I sell all the locals I dig, the others are harder to sell.

The farther east and south you go in the U.S. the more interest there seems to be in old bottles. And way out west also.

HH
I set out a local amber 'Webb's Improved Stomach Bitters' just for kicks, along with about 10 other more common Bitters and old patent medicines at a yard sale. No one blinked and not a single bottle sold at $1 ea!

Back
Top Bottom