Korean society isn't bad when there aren't enough lockers at the subway so people just leave their things. (water festival)

jackdaniels

Forum Supporter
Bet you don't see this kind of public trust anymore. :cool3:

Attachments

• New Phototastic Collage.jpg
    New Phototastic Collage.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 986
Neat, wish we could have that level of trust of the general public here in the U.S., long ago people in the U.S. used to be able to leave their doors unlocked most places, nowadays there are "porch thieves" taking people's deliveries, and the home security camera business is likely doing very well here in the U.S., you don't even want to leave your car unlocked even if you're running into a store for just 5 minutes and that is sad it is that way.

Neat, wish we could have that level of trust of the general public here in the U.S., long ago people in the U.S. used to be able to leave their doors unlocked most places, nowadays there are "porch thieves" taking people's deliveries, and the home security camera business is likely doing very well here in the U.S., you don't even want to leave your car unlocked even if you're running into a store for just 5 minutes and that is sad it is that way.
Why do you think that is?

We never locked the door to our home when I was growing up. People had respect for themselves and for others. Today it is get what you can while you can and it does not matter if you are stealing.

How about the home deliveries, where you can leave the stainless steel dishes outside for later pickup. Although, everyone has a front & rear black box / crash camera in their vehicle.

My guess would be that stealing something in North Korea would win you a free ride on the next missile launch...

My guess would be that stealing something in North Korea would win you a free ride on the next missile launch...

Good point, but got me wondering where the "water festival" mentioned by the OP was at and what it was, kinda surprised me what it was - "The Water Gun Festival" :lol:
……..and it is in Seoul, South Korea, here is a link I just found about it -

https://www.gowherewhen.com/event/the-water-gun-fight-festival/

the above link has a picture and here is a quote from the above link:

"First held in 2013, the Water Gun Festival sees the streets closed to traffic to allow visitors to participate in an initially well organised ‘battle’ with a different theme each year.

In reality most of the water gun toting participants are there solely for the novelty value in being part of the most enormous water gun fight.

The festival reserves special areas for families and children to take part in the fun in at a more leisurely pace so the event really does cater for all ages."
(end of quote)

……..a giant water gun fight festival ? …….wish they had that here when I was a kid …….and even now as a big kid :laughing:

1. the Korean society is mostly an homogenuos population unlike the US.
2. look at the Korean laws:

Article 333 (Robbery) Printed articles
A person who forcibly takes another's property or obtains pecuniary advantage from another or causes a third person to do so through violence or intimidation, shall be punished by limited imprisonment for at least three years.

Article 334 (Special Robbery) Printed articles
(1) A person who commits the crime as prescribed in Article 333 by trespassing upon a human habitation, managed building, structure, ship or aircraft or occupied room at night, shall be punished by imprisonment for life or at least five years. <Amended by Act No. 5057, Dec. 29, 1995>

Compare that to the US where they often don't bother even arresting or looking for thieves much less locking them up in prison like the Korean's do.

I remember when the Turks were in Korea in the mid 1960's when they caught a thief at their military compound in South Korea they cut off the offenders head and put it on a pike near the main gate. They gave the headless body back to the family.

Bet you don't see this kind of public trust anymore. :cool3:

You do in Smaller-town America.

People still leave their doors unlocked where I live. It's slowly changing, though, the more folks from California move in. We have many thieves starting to roam through neighborhoods and open cars and steal stuff. 10 years ago, this didn't happen.

I can only imagine, for folks moving from a place like LA, if they have any sense of self-entitlement to other people's stuff, it's probably like a gold rush, moving here. Sad, really.

Every time I can recall them catching the thieves... they've always been 20-something transplants. People from big cities seem to think that if something is unsecured its the fault of the person not-securing it, if it gets stolen. They move here for the idyllic lifestyle, and bring with them their baggage.

The world would be a nice place, if people would stop being idiots. *hows that for deep* LOL

At my local gym, everyone puts their keys in a tray at the entrance. I've seen Mazarati keys, Porsche keys, and Cadillac keys galore. Nobody ever takes other people's stuff. People will put their phones down, and they'll be there 2 hours later. Why? Because people here are genuinely honest folks. Leave a gym bag on top of the locker? Nobody will touch it. Heck, most folks don't even use locks on the lockers.

Last year, I dropped $40 out of my pocket at Texas Road House (accident), when getting out of the car. I discovered it when I went to pay. Ooops. Came out, and someone had picked up the two twenties and put them under my windshield wiper.

THAT is why I don't ask for a reward or charge folks for finding their rings (if I get the chance). Life is pretty good here. We all do our part and the city is a better place for it.

Skippy

5 yrs ago in L.A , a crew was breaking into gym lockers. A family member , who is in law enforcement , had stuff stolen out of one. Somebody is walking around with his I.D , badge and gun.

1. the Korean society is mostly an homogenuos population unlike the US.
2. look at the Korean laws:

Article 333 (Robbery) Printed articles
A person who forcibly takes another's property or obtains pecuniary advantage from another or causes a third person to do so through violence or intimidation, shall be punished by limited imprisonment for at least three years...…..

You do in Smaller-town America.

People still leave their doors unlocked where I live. It's slowly changing, though, the more folks from California move in. We have many thieves starting to roam through neighborhoods and open cars and steal stuff. 10 years ago, this didn't happen...…...
Skippy

5 yrs ago in L.A , a crew was breaking into gym lockers. A family member , who is in law enforcement , had stuff stolen out of one. Somebody is walking around with his I.D , badge and gun.

……...maybe they need to pass a law in the U.S. where convicted thieves are sentenced to live in South Korea for 6 months with the laws they have there, maybe they'll get out of the habit of stealing by the time they can return to the U.S. :lol:

If high school students had to spend 90 days in a third world country of their choice right after graduation they'd understand why people from around the world want to come here instead of leave here and better appreciate what freedom really means.

……...maybe they need to pass a law in the U.S. where convicted thieves are sentenced to live in South Korea for 6 months with the laws they have there, maybe they'll get out of the habit of stealing by the time they can return to the U.S. :lol:

Personally, I believe we need to get a little more....barbaric with the method of punishment. I suggest a .22 bullet through a kneecap, and let it heal "naturally" without any medical "assistance".
Make the criminal walk with a limp for the rest of his life, and he just might stop his less-than-desirable actions.

Roger, just another grumpy, old, opinionated SOB.

Very similar culture in Japan. Part of their monoculture is respect for others in their culture and their stuff. On the street if you look at a Japanese policeman as he rides by on his motorcycle, he will come back and question you...what you are doing and why. The proper action is to look down while in sight of a policeman, out of respect for the law he stands for.

Try to go into any country (other than the U.S.) around the world illegally and see how long it takes to get arrested, we're talking a matter of hours, not days weeks months or years. Your butt will be in jail quick and in some places shot.

Back
Top Bottom