Need a digging tool now

soughtseven1035

Forum Supporter
Hey,
I have been dumbfounded with the amount of digging tools they have out. The Lesche seems to be the one of choice, but $43 for a simple hand scoop.:shock: Anyways, I was looking at the Garret Edge Digger and some people like the Lesche better still. I saw a few videos of the Edge Digger and it looked like they were having trouble digging with it, even after it rained for the previous 3 days. So that turned me away. I was looking at the Lesche Shovels (ball and T-shape) and those look extremely nice. How large are these exactly? Are they annoying to carry along the way while metal detecting? I usually pick apart the ground with my hands anyways and having a shovel would be nice and save my knees. Can you guys help?

IMO the 18 inch Sampson-T handle shovel and Lesche combo

The smaller 18 inch Sampson-T Shovel is very easy to carry and does not look like your out there remodling the landscape. People pay less attendtion to your digging. Plus the Sampson is extremly strong and durable, cuts plugs like in hot butter ! Best 50-60 bucks you can spend. Remember ":you get what you pay for" there's cheaper and thats exactly what you get, Cheap bending and breakable junk ! Now along with the Lesche digger this is a great combination for just about any open digging.:yes:

I bought a sharpening stone for the one I have now. When I think about it, I can pull up a hole in about 15 seconds max with the tool I have. It's just a basic digging tool but works good. Im going to sharpen it so it can move into the ground easier. It has tackled mulch and everything pretty well. I think if I can sharpen it, it will make easy work out of the ground. The ground here is not like clay, it's basic green grass.

The Lesche is good quality but I don't care for the straight blade it has, makes is hard to scoop dirt out of the hole.

The Lesche is good quality but I don't care for the straight blade it has, makes is hard to scoop dirt out of the hole.

I agree, that's why I don't have a lesche. I use the old style gator digger, it is more shovel like. A lesche in this so called soil would be worthless for actual digging. I have the lesche style gator digger, and only used it once before going back to the older gator digger.

I suppose it depends on where you're digging. In indiana I could dig with a spoon. Down here, you need a jackhammer and a prybar, and a shovel of some sort. :)

Sampson. No other tool needed the rest of your life.

I too like the Sampson,, I've got the MNI and the 31. But in schools and most parks I use the lesche but I like to modify mine.

Attachments

• x5.jpg
    x5.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 715

yep, i totally agree. the ames tool actually digs far superior to the lesche, but it isn't as robust and the tip isn't nearly as cool. in wet grass, though, it wins hands down.

I've been using the same 3-in-1 knife for over thirty years. The only difference is that it's shorter from numerous sharpening's and I padded the handle when I first got it to keep from getting blisters. And no, my hand has never slid down onto the blade. The current wooden handled Hori-Hori knife looks about the same. It is dished so dirt removal is easy. I have even pounded it into rock hard clay with a hatchet. Try that with your Lesche. It has never felt like it was going to break. If it was, it would have years ago.
KF3.gif

I've been using the same 3-in-1 knife for over thirty years. The only difference is that it's shorter from numerous sharpening's and I padded the handle when I first got it to keep from getting blisters. And no, my hand has never slid down onto the blade. The current wooden handled Hori-Hori knife looks about the same. It is dished so dirt removal is easy. I have even pounded it into rock hard clay with a hatchet. Try that with your Lesche. It has never felt like it was going to break. If it was, it would have years ago.
View attachment 230304
That is dedication.

You can find the lesche for about 37.00 on Amazon. They seem hig but excellent quality. I havebroken several cheapo's from the usuall discount stores. But never come close to breaking my lesche now in over two years.

People on Amazon are saying the Fiskar breaks easily. It looks like a high quality tool. I was going to get one, but then I saw the design up close and I do not think it would cut into soil as good as the digger I have now. I am sure it would be fine for most people. Those people who talk about it breaking are probably fan-boys of another brand. They probably tell you that it broke off, but they fail to mention they were trying to dig into a rock at the time. I was going to get it. I still might. I bought a sharpening tool and if I can sharpen the blades I have now, I will be good to go.

Silversmith, what did you wrap your handle with? I like my AM Leonard, but the handle gets uncomfortable after a while. I'd like to wrap it with something to pad it, but can't figure out what to use.

I was thinking about using bicycle handlebar tape. I have bought some of that stuff to use on my bike and it does a good job. Look on Amazon, it is cheap. You can get a huge roll of it for like $10. Comes in all colors. A bright color like bright pink or orange will make it easy to spot and less likely to lose.

I was thinking about using it to replace the grip on the detector itself. Don't know if that would increase or decrease re-sale value.

Silversmith, what did you wrap your handle with? I like my AM Leonard, but the handle gets uncomfortable after a while. I'd like to wrap it with something to pad it, but can't figure out what to use.

First I used pieces of scrap leather, mainly at the end where I push it into the ground. Then I covered it with several layers of electric tape pulled tight, and finished by coating it with liquid rubber. Once in a while I will reapply the liquid rubber when it wears through. The Leonard has basically the same blade but I do not know if it goes clear through the handle like my old 3-in-1 knife. I also have one of them as a backup but I have yet to need it.

Back
Top Bottom