Silver thingamabob

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
Any idea what this came off of? Its about the size of a nickel and even though its not marked its definitely silver. Has the word "PALLAS" on it, which according to Wiki refers to Greco-Roman mythology.

I'm guessing it came off of a piece of jewelry. Using Google image search, I found a few items that were similar but none that were identical.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 253
Yeah those are pretty similar. Thats exactly what I searched for. I think it probably came off of a ring.

Thanks for the reply! :cheers:

Nickle-sized would be on the large side for a ring. Plus the 2 "dobs" on the backside gives the impression it was attached to a backing of some sort where 2 holes were drilled through the backer and 2 pieces put together. I'd imagine that's why the piece you have is hollowed on the back, to cut cost (of silver).

Nice find! I didn’t make it down your way thanks to the Hurricane. I was suppose to go to the FSU/Miami game and was going to drop by for some digging on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickle-sized would be on the large side for a ring. Plus the 2 "dobs" on the backside gives the impression it was attached to a backing of some sort where 2 holes were drilled through the backer and 2 pieces put together. I'd imagine that's why the piece you have is hollowed on the back, to cut cost (of silver).

The back side looks like it might have been a pin of some kind.

Thanks guys. You're probably right. Little too big to be mounted on a ring. Might have been a pin. Appreciate the help!

Nice find! I didn’t make it down your way thanks to the Hurricane. I was suppose to go to the FSU/Miami game and was going to drop by for some digging on the way.

Thanks buddy! No worries, just give me a shout the next time you're down this way and we'll do some digging. :cheers:

Yeah, no idea on the use, but in Greek mythology Athena was best friends with a girl named Pallas. At one point Athena accidentally killed Pallas and was so distraught that she took her name as an epithet, hence why you'll hear Athena referred to as Pallas Athena.

Yeah, no idea on the use, but in Greek mythology Athena was best friends with a girl named Pallas. At one point Athena accidentally killed Pallas and was so distraught that she took her name as an epithet, hence why you'll hear Athena referred to as Pallas Athena.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info Donney. :cheers:

I don't know... it's all GREEK to me ;)

Great find

Congrats on the silver

Thanks bud! :cheers:

Always liked watching those old mythical shows with all sorts of creatures. Kind of made wand to do a little reading on the subject (of Pallas). Now I'll have to dig-out some of those old DVDs and have a marathon weekend :lol:

Athene parents were Zeus and Metis, story has it Zeus convinced Metis to turn herself into a fly, and he ate her while she was carrying Athene.

I'd ran across one that said Pallas was a guy, but sounds like Pallas was like Smith or Brown :lol:

http://www.myastrologybook.com/Athena-Athene-Pallas-Athena.htm

There are also many gods with the name "Pallas":

1) the Titan son of Crius and Eurybia, husband of Styx;
2) a Giant killed by Athena when he tried to rape her, an act also
attributed to Pallas 1 who is sometimes Athena’s father;
3) Athena’s sister, daughter of Triton whom Athena accidentally killed;
4) the goddess Pallas Athena, so named in honor of Pallas 3, or after
Pallas 1 or 2 with whose skin she covered her shield, the Aegis;
5) the son of Evander and ally of Aeneas;
6) the son of Lycaon and grandfather of the same Evander;
7) the father of Selene and the son of Megamedes; and
8) one of fifty sons of the Athenian king Pandion.

Back
Top Bottom