Best detector for hunted out parks?

I reckon the X-Terra 70 does a good job too. It definitely isn't as good as the CTX 3030, but I have found a lot of deep targets with it. Last Saturday I had a really nice signal but it turned to be a small stainless screw (probably from an old toy) that was around 8-9in deep.

I think $1000 for a used e-trac is on the high side, personally.

If depth is the deciding factor, look at the Blisstool line. They are deep machines.

I use an Explorer SE Pro, and find the depth to be excellent. I'm regularly pulling pennies at about 10"+, and I would expect the same with an e-trac. The other night at the beach, I had 3 dimes that I measured at 9"+. But if I ever want more depth, I'll probably go to the Blisstool. The president of my MD club uses one, and it's insane. There was also a thread recently (here or on another MD site) with a video from Scotland where a guy buried a hammered coin in a field where they were having a group hunt. All sorts of detectors were used to see if they could get solid hits, and only 2 machines could hit it, the Blisstool, and one that I can't remember the brand/model.

Seems the etrac would be it...

The last four years of finds I've seen made by them are the real deal..

In the last four years, the etrac might have accounted 50% of the silver coming from parks, maybe more.. Against all other machines..

<°)))>{

To answer your question I would try the ETrac although it has a learning curve..

My second machine was the Eagle Spectrum.. Loved it, miss it..

Depth at this point is dictated by physics,not price,brand loyalty or some other thing. There are 2 keys to "deep". Large coil(WIDE!) and as high as the sensitivity can be set and the operator still be able to interpret the information. This does not take into account masked targets,etc. This is RAW DEPTH. To go DEEPEST, you need a big ass coil, and highest manageable sensitivity. All other skewed or masked targets are a different issue...and they could be quite shallow.
That being said, I've had my best success with the EX2 and CTX, both with 13" WIDE coils...

If you have the money go with the CTX3030. Great Machines AND Waterproof and wireless. Unless something unknown at this time comes along you will never have to upgrade.

2. X P Deus

3. Etrac

Call us at Antiques Detectors 620 856 5190 for special offers or if we can answer any questions.

The Detech Chaser with stock 9" Ultimate coil was shown in a You Tube video getting a freshly planted coin down 13" with full volume, unbroken high tone on every pass. They did on top of ground nail tests in video. A nail over the coin or 2-3 nails touching the coin was no problem. They had a very large rusty nail on top of ground & demonstrated it could be completely rejected.

If people aren't satisfied with full volume beep on 13" deep coin they can buy the 13" Ultimate coil for the non-discounted price of $179.95. DetechUSA.com price is $779 while they wait to get dealers. It has mixed mode so one can hear all metal & disc mode at same time.

I'm really surprised last time I checked You Tube there were no American videos of this detector. It operates at 14 kHz. I can't afford one right now or I'd be giving you my own review. Best wishes.

I would like to try a detector that will go a little deeper than my whites eagle spectrum. The deepest I find Indian heads is about 6 to 7 inches.
I'm sure there has to be older deeper coins in this park. Thank you

Last edited:
I had a v3i, didn't like it went to some of my old sites and wasn't impressed at all. So I sold it after 3 years, recently went back to old site with spectrum and found old Wheatie. I was watching that guy on YouTube Tony two cent and was impressed.

Thank you! I do a lot of park hunting and I wouldn't trade my E-Trac for anything.

Tony what happened to your YouTube channel? Miss watching your vids ma !

It's still there, although I'm not detecting as much as I used to. A couple of years ago I moved to a different part of Illinois and there aren't as many good sites here. I am looking forward to more hunts this fall after we get some rain. It is really dry here right now. More videos coming!

Gotta go with a etrac/ ctx. If you can get a nice used etrac with the 13" nel storm you'll be set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deus,,but you gotta have patience and put the time in,expect to dig junk but that's the only way to the good stuff hidden

I agree 110%. i hunt spots that i hunted to death with at pro and etrac and one park in particular has turned out a bunch of stuff this summer including a civil war bridle rosette at almost a foot. it took me twice as long to really know i was on top of my settings and i'm still fine tuning them, but i know for sure i'm getting a lot more than i was with other detectors

I too use a Whites Eagle Spectrum, and would love a lighter weight machine, that hits deeper, with better rejection. My 8" blue max coil does work better in trashy areas. The stock 9.5" coil hits dimes to maybe 8" or so, in clean park ground, in my experience.
I don't have the budget for a pricey upgrade, or it would be a Deus or 3030 or one of the other recommendations in this thread.
I am currently trying to sell my Whites Goldmaster Gm4b, and plan to use some of that $ on a new pinpointer & tumbler for clad.
Is there a bigger coil for the Spectrum that would be worth having?

For me the easy choice is one of the FBS's like the E-Trac or CTX. The Deus is good as well, but my experience it just wasn't quite as accurate on the really deep stuff for target ID. There are some other good ones just as deep but I felt the target ID wasn't quite up to par with the E-Trac/CTX. The Whites MXT, Fisher F75 LTD and the Racer 2 come to mind.

My 2 cents, playing with a few different machines. CTX at $2,500 or so for one of the package deals from bigboyshobbies.com gets you everything you need for trashy, pounded out parks. It's what I use in Pittsburgh and have loads of YouTube videos pulling goodies. Still takes a lot of time, and I have the $399 add on of the 17" coil, which adds depth but sacrifices discrimination a bit. Others right next to me with a stock coil do just about as well. I think they get targets masked by the big coil pretty often. The biggest benefit of the CTX over the etrac is the available 17" coil, wireless module, and waterproof so good for beach or park. In terms of ability, the etrac with stock coil will find 95%+ of what the CTX with stock coil will find. There are now wireless modules with low latency that you can just attach to your detector (Z-link from Garret will work or WM-8 or ProSonic from minelab). So you can make the etrac wireless. Also some other coils are available for the etrac to get more depth as well. As far as I know, you can't make the etrac wireless. I would say that a group of MDs mixed with CTX 3030 and Etracs hunting for a day in the same pounded out park, compare the finds and there likely would be little or no difference. Individuals with experience to swing the right speed, in the right areas, with the right angles will get more. It is true, with the minelabs, gotta swing real slow in trash. You can do just as well and save a lot of money if you get the Etrac. Personally, I use my CTX but just because I had the coin at the time to pull the trigger. If money isn't burning a hole in your pocket, get the etrac.

Edit, you can't make the etrac waterproof. Autocorrect changed it to wireless.

Back
Top Bottom