Any Advice on Beach Hunting???

wvdave107

Elite Member
Heading South in a couple of weeks for a long weekend with the wife. I'll be in the Surfside/ Garden City area of SC. Plan on doing some fishing and of course detecting. I'm still learning the hobby and my machine, ATP, and was wondering what to expect while beach hunting. Also, any tips to make my beach hunts more productive? Any tips on settings? Doubt I'll be in the water, maybe in the shallow surf, if anything. Any tips and/or advice is appreciated....HH

Heading South in a couple of weeks for a long weekend with the wife. I'll be in the Surfside/ Garden City area of SC. Plan on doing some fishing and of course detecting. I'm still learning the hobby and my machine, ATP, and was wondering what to expect while beach hunting. Also, any tips to make my beach hunts more productive? Any tips on settings? Doubt I'll be in the water, maybe in the shallow surf, if anything. Any tips and/or advice is appreciated....HH

Dry sand will be find; wet sand and water will make it chatty. Adjust the sensitivity as needed, as well as always keep your eye on the ground balance. Don't rely strictly on auto-gb, either; manual adjustment is key.

Each of the three environments (dry, wet, water) require a new auto ground balance to start with.

When swinging on the water's edge, be sure to NOT swing into and out of the water; either keep the coil out of it or keep the coil submerged.

Watch out for sand fleas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely check the tide charts for that area before you go! If there's going to be a good low or even a negative tide, then definitely plan to do some shallow wading. Some of the best stuff on a touristy beach can be found in the shallows of a swim area at low tide.

As mentioned, you will be combatting some chatter, so adjust your machine accordingly. ATP isn't optimal for salt water, but there are plenty of guys who do exactly this sort of hunting with it. Make sure your control box is secured to you, though. You do not want to dunk that puppy in the water!

If the tides won't cooperate, you can still hunt the dry sand as intelligently as possible-- look for areas with lots of human activity (or evidence of it). There are lots of tips for dry-sand hunting here in the Beach and Water section so gather some ideas here and you'll know what to look for.

Also- enjoy the beauty of digging sand! It's sooooo much more friendly than dirt! You might want to pick up a cheapo sand scoop at walmart or something, just to make sifting and target recovery easier.

:shock: Oh! I didn't realize. I thought I'd seen other ATP users advise not to submerge the control box (I have a cheaper unit for dry sand-- mine is not even slightly waterproof).

Looking at their advertising, indeed-- waterproof up to 10 feet! Thats cool!

Maybe others using ATP in the surf can say whether or not they'd be comfortable letting it get dunked?

I just know you definitely don't want to risk submerging a control box unless you're 100% sure it's ok. Just a little salt water inside can be enough to mess it up badly.

Why not? It's waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
:shock: Oh! I didn't realize. I thought I'd seen other ATP users advise not to submerge the control box (I have a cheaper unit for dry sand-- mine is not even slightly waterproof).

Looking at their advertising, indeed-- waterproof up to 10 feet! Thats cool!

Maybe others using ATP in the surf can say whether or not they'd be comfortable letting it get dunked?

I just know you definitely don't want to risk submerging a control box unless you're 100% sure it's ok. Just a little salt water inside can be enough to mess it up badly.

I've dunked mine plenty, in both the ocean and freshwater. In fact, my AT Pro is a world traveler in that regard. Only thing I double check before a dunk is to make sure the battery compartment seal has a bit of silicone or petroleum jelly on it (to ensure a good seal), and the headphone/coil connectors are lubed (very light amount), as well.

EVERY time I do the ocean, the battery compartment seal will have sand on the edge, when I clean it, but the seal operates perfectly, preventing any contamination and water from entering the battery box. Just keep your equipment maintained, and washed off with freshwater, when you're through!

Skippy

Wash it with fresh water after every use. Sand will get inside the shaft if you get in the water.

Ground balance is a very important key to success. You will lose depth on the wet sand but all targets are not a foot deep. I found a 14k 3/4th carat diamond ring that was about 4 inches deep.

The towel line where people lay is usually a productive area. More clad than anything else but still fun digging.

Beach hunting is a quantity for quality game. Move fast and scoop/flip/kick as many targets as possible until you collapse from exhaustion.

Plan on a lot of junk, that is part of it. Occasional spectacular finds is the good part. Good Luck! :cool: :grin:

WV Dave

I dont know if you came down, but we got a hell of a storm.

It eroded much of the sand down about 3 feet in the myrtle beach area.

Finding 50 cc Casings from WWII again, ( MB was a training beach for planes back then) also, better gold rings and a few silver coins too!

I use a ATP too, so my wet sand setting is NOT PRO mode, coin, with the Discrim down to 3 notches.

You wont fine much beach left right now so plan on low tide detecting. If you can go to the lower south end of Garden City beach at the Inlet point, I think you might find some good targets there, because the wind was driving the waves toward the inlet.
ps. Let me know if the beach is showing the old ship wreck by the inlet.

Keep in Touch and Happy Combing!!! :cool:

Mike in Myrtle

I dont know if you came down, but we got a hell of a storm.

It eroded much of the sand down about 3 feet in the myrtle beach area.

Finding 50 cc Casings from WWII again, ( MB was a training beach for planes back then) also, better gold rings and a few silver coins too!

I use a ATP too, so my wet sand setting is NOT PRO mode, coin, with the Discrim down to 3 notches.

You wont fine much beach left right now so plan on low tide detecting. If you can go to the lower south end of Garden City beach at the Inlet point, I think you might find some good targets there, because the wind was driving the waves toward the inlet.
ps. Let me know if the beach is showing the old ship wreck by the inlet.

Keep in Touch and Happy Combing!!! :cool:

Mike in Myrtle

Mike. I really appreciate the advice. Haven't made it down yet. Heading out Thursday PM. Staying for a long weekend. Be in the Ocean Lakes, Surfside area. The inlet is a great idea!!! Have some friends that are staying down that way...May have to pay them a visit...LOL. I didn't realize MB area was a training site in WWII. That's awesome!!! This will be my first each hunt and I'm pretty excited!!! Thanks again for the info. I'll keep you posted on what I find...If anything....LOL

Mike. I really appreciate the advice. Haven't made it down yet. Heading out Thursday PM. Staying for a long weekend. Be in the Ocean Lakes, Surfside area. The inlet is a great idea!!! Have some friends that are staying down that way...May have to pay them a visit...LOL. I didn't realize MB area was a training site in WWII. That's awesome!!! This will be my first each hunt and I'm pretty excited!!! Thanks again for the info. I'll keep you posted on what I find...If anything....LOL

Anytime Dave,

One other thing about Surfside and Garden City is the lack of beach width after the hurricane, they are replenishing next year i think, if not now, it they are then drive up to 2nd Ave pier in south MB, really high traffic during the summer, Look for the Sand bars and hunt in the dip in between. just remember the settings and ground balance between wet and dry sand.

Yeah, Myrtle Beach also had a German internment camp up by me on 79th ave north, and they helped build the MB state park and part of the old air force base, now called MB intern airport. Heck George Washington stayed here and the movie about the Patriot (Mel Gibson) was based on the Swamp Fox in Georgetown 30 miles south. Lots of relics around here!!:yes:

Mike in Myrtle

Anytime Dave,

One other thing about Surfside and Garden City is the lack of beach width after the hurricane, they are replenishing next year i think, if not now, it they are then drive up to 2nd Ave pier in south MB, really high traffic during the summer, Look for the Sand bars and hunt in the dip in between. just remember the settings and ground balance between wet and dry sand.

Yeah, Myrtle Beach also had a German internment camp up by me on 79th ave north, and they helped build the MB state park and part of the old air force base, now called MB intern airport. Heck George Washington stayed here and the movie about the Patriot (Mel Gibson) was based on the Swamp Fox in Georgetown 30 miles south. Lots of relics around here!!:yes:

Mike in Myrtle

Wow!!! I didn't realize the history. That's really cool. The wife's dad lived in Georgetown, Murrells Inlet now. We're down that way several times a year. What are the rules about the park? doubt detecting is allowed...LOL. Going to hit the beaches pretty hard....wish me luck. Thanks again, Mike. If you can think of anymore useful tips give me a shout

Hey Dave,

Myrtle Beach State Park has No rules against "Beach" detecting at the park, but just in the park is a no no.. like around the campgrounds etc.

Let me know what you find !!

Mike in Myrtle Beach

Hey Dave,

Myrtle Beach State Park has No rules against "Beach" detecting at the park, but just in the park is a no no.. like around the campgrounds etc.

Let me know what you find !!

Mike in Myrtle Beach

Mike. Are there any rules/ regs I should be aware of while in your neck of the woods? Don't want to step on toes of get hassled by beach patrol or local PD's. Thanks again for you help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom