First decent find

Poppacap

Im fairly new to detecting, bought my Gamma a few months ago and have primarily just practiced in my own yard getting to know the machine, finding plenty of bottle caps, pull tabs and some clad. Over the last week I have been venturing into the woods and walking trails adjacent to my hood, finding mostly shot gun shells, bullet brass and bullets themselves. The area must have been a prime hunting spot before the neighborhood was developed in the mid 60s. However today in those same woods I found my first coin.. About 6" deep in very hard packed soil I dug the high pitched tone and to my delight in the bottom of the hole was a 1892 V nickel in decent shape. Pretty cruddy by in good enough shape to see the date with minor rubbing. So im pretty stocked for my first 'real' find. In the process of cleaning it up. Will post pics when I get it to a point that is presentable.. Thanks for reading.

Congrats! Well, before taking a break, I detected for 5 years, still waiting on a V and still haven't dug the 1st buffalo. :?: :lol:

Good work Pop!

Deep nickel signals can often warrant the question to dig. Shot lead and pull tabs can tend to come up in this Nickel and small flat button range.

If there is light wear it may have been dropped early in life. Be sure to try and find any place that kids might have used for a swimming hole. Those places are seldom hunted if they are deeper in the woods. Many of us find these places and have come up with some fun finds. Before air conditioning, these small secluded ponds often had a lot of people using them to cool off.

Keep us posted on the excitement!

update

Upon further review after a day of cleanup, it looks as though my V nickel is from 1898 not 92. Makes no difference to me, I got into detecting to find old stuff in the ground, to pull something out of the ground after 100 plus years and ponder the story behind it is worth every minute. Its not in the greatest shape but it will be the first coin for the display case....

Attachments

• v-nickel.jpg
    v-nickel.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 167
I have no doubts it was beginners luck, I will say I worked for it though, 2 days ago and 20 yards from the nickel find I got a good signal so I took my size 13 and moved the leaves to the side to get a better sweep only to unearth hell with a swarm of yellow jackets! 3 stings and still had 3 of them down my shirt when I got home! Lol

I hunted heavily for 5 years before finding a V. I don't always include nickels in my pattern so maybe that's the reason...:lol:. Great find Poppy,be careful of your surroundings! If you've always been an outside guy I don't need to tell you there's all kinds of pitfalls that can ruin your day!
Great find,let's see the next!

Back
Top Bottom