Draped Bust Large Cent

diggin4clad

Elite Member
I was able to hunt a site I've been wanting to hunt for quite awhile and dug 41 clad coins worth $6.17. One of the pennies was a 1945 Wheatie but the best find of the day was a Draped Bust Large Cent which were minted from 1797 until 1807. Unfortunately it's badly corroded and I can only make out some of the design and can't read the date. I've got it soaking in olive oil so when I get it to the point that it's readable I'll post a picture.

Congrats! I know I've dug some the same condition, and some that are in good shape. Some ground, and fertilizers are harder on them than others.

Nice! But get it out of the olive oil, pronto! Olive oil is acidic, which also means that it's corrosive.

Nice! But get it out of the olive oil, pronto! Olive oil is acidic, which also means that it's corrosive.
Really? Everything I've ever read says to soak old copper in olive oil. HMMM......now what do I do? Either way the coin is not collectible in my opinion. Any suggestions for cleaning it?

Is it corroded or is there just a crust on it. I have dug some I thought were toast only to have the ugly crust carefully come off.:yes:

Typical east coast lies. We here on the west coast are not buying it. :aok:

Really? Everything I've ever read says to soak old copper in olive oil. HMMM......now what do I do? Either way the coin is not collectible in my opinion. Any suggestions for cleaning it?
Mineral oil might be the better choice. I have ruined several copper-type coins, especially a beautiful crisp 2 cent piece, by soaking in extra-virgin olive oil. It really darkens them to the point that basic details are difficult to see. Now, I use petroleum jelly and the soft end Q-tip 'roll'.

Mineral oil might be the better choice. I have ruined several copper-type coins, especially a beautiful crisp 2 cent piece, by soaking in extra-virgin olive oil. It really darkens them to the point that basic details are difficult to see. Now, I use petroleum jelly and the soft end Q-tip 'roll'.
Thanks.....I'll try that

Typical east coast lies. We here on the west coast are not buying it. :aok:
That's OK.......We here on the East Coast aren't buying those typical West Coast "gold nugget" lies:nono: But seriously speaking, we Easterners have an advantage regarding Early 1800's coins or coins from the 1700's. Thanks for the reply, I enjoyed the humor.

That's OK.......We here on the East Coast aren't buying those typical West Coast "gold nugget" lies:nono: But seriously speaking, we Easterners have an advantage regarding Early 1800's coins or coins from the 1700's. Thanks for the reply, I enjoyed the humor.

Diggin, they tend to dig more actual gold coins than anyone.

The poor Yankee farmers couldn't even afford gold wedding bands.

Back
Top Bottom