Tot lots rule but...

Detectingman

Been having some good luck in the tot lots lately.

However, I feel like a creep searching them for some reason. Usually try to go at the crack of dawn to avoid being seen in them lol.

Anyone else feel odd searching them?

Been having some good luck in the tot lots lately.

However, I feel like a creep searching them for some reason. Usually try to go at the crack of dawn to avoid being seen in them lol.

Anyone else feel odd searching them?

Yes! I only go in the cold weather when the kids aren't out there at all. If I had little kids I don't think I'd like grown strangers hanging around in their playground no matter what they were doing there, so it does make me feel weird to hunt them. :lol:

Nope. I think I would if I were a guy, but being a very young-looking female, it doesn't bother me at all.

It's helpful I think, to be a woman when it comes to tot lots. No one assumes the worst of you. I've never had a negative tot lot encounter with a parent. Usually they are very nice, especially when they see the hazardous objects I'm pulling out of the ground. I've even been thanked by some of them.

Well, it might make you feel more at ease if you wore a reflective safety vest, that way people might assume you are simply a worker doing a job. You're not telling them that, but they might get that impression.

You know you're not there to do anything wrong, the vest might help them feel that way too.

safety vest.jpg

I've never had any luck in tot lots. I do hit them, though. Usually at the crack of dawn, and I vacate the tot lot area if any parents or kids show up.

Meh. I guess having kids it doesn't really bother me. I avoid them when there are a lot of kids around but that is just to keep them from bugging me.

BCD

I've never had any luck in tot lots. I do hit them, though. Usually at the crack of dawn, and I vacate the tot lot area if any parents or kids show up.

In my area, if you hit in the early mornings only...the evening/night tectors likely gathered in the days good. I myself tend to always hit the chips or gravel in tot last thing before dusk before quitting the park or school I am already hunting.

.... Anyone else feel odd searching them?

No. But ... then again .... I don't feel "odd" searching any place. And I lack any caution level or risk-threshold when it comes to where I'd hunt. So .... I'm probably the wrong person to ask :D

I used to hunt them while kids were playing there.....till one time a bunch of 3 year old's ran me out of there and chased me all the way to my car!:laughing: vicious little tykes I tell you!!! I never did that again:laughing:
I kinda solved that problem though, having over 30 grand kids myself I just pic
up a few of them, take them to the totlots and they have fun, I have fun and the folks there have been ok with it so far.:yes:

I always go after a rain so the parents won't bring their kids to get soaked.
Marvin

If you feel "weird" hunting a tot lot, it's because of how the news and television shows present creepy adult males skulking around them. You've been sucked in to the guilt trip that they've been feeding you for decades.
(It doesn't help that it does actually happen.)
Be content in knowing that YOU aren't going to harm any kids, and there's no reason for you to feel guilty or "weird".
Besides, that digger you're carrying just might come in handy in stopping the creeper that does try something with a kid.

Roger

I had a cop stop once while I was digging in a tot lot, just to ask me if I found anything. I showed him all the garbage I found and he laughed and said, "good thing you're out here doing this" and drove away.

I am a parent of small kids and I am suspicious of anyone who looks out of place. To some, a man swinging a detector looks out of place and I feel as a COURTESY the detectorist should leave if kids/parents start showing up (this includes me when I am without my kids). The exception to this is if you can engage the parent (hard to do when most of them have their face buried in their phone) and let them know who you are, what you're doing and that you're on trash patrol. If the number of kids gets too high, just run for your life! LOL!

I hunt totters, but only super early and NEVER when there are kids around...Its the most efficient and fast way of Hunting...jewelry, lots of clad and foreign coins, maybe some old key dates robbed from poor old grandpas coin collection, certainly Dollar and JFK half 'Birthday' coin drop hotspots....A guy can run a fleet of them in short order, easy...

...Being a prudent Outdoorsman, the general rule.....Wheres there are cubs/piglets, theres generally a big mean old Sow Bear/Hog close by!...:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom