Old detectorist...new AT Pro

diggergirl

So....my Ace 350 went coil up, and instead of fixing it, I decided to trade in on an AT Pro.
Besides reading the manual, reading the forums, and practice, any immediate tips for me, or differences I should note?

So....my Ace 350 went coil up, and instead of fixing it, I decided to trade in on an AT Pro.

Besides reading the manual, reading the forums, and practice, any immediate tips for me, or differences I should note?

What dealer took a trade in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard the Garrett express.

I made the same move 3 years ago, but my 350 still has a heart beat.

I would recommend starting off working in Pro Zero. Just go out and get as much swing time as you can to learn it. Do not bother using the Iron Audio feature. Depending on the ground conditions, you might run the Iron Discrimination in the 20 to 30 range.

I use both the stock coil and a 5x8. The stock coil is great in the large open spaces like fields. The 5x8 shines in the trashy areas.

Let us know how you do. :cool:

PS - remember to change your signature. ;)

I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Being seasoned and coming off an ace, I'm sure you will have it mastered in no time.
I found the vids that GKL recommended helpful as well. That said. Given my luck so far, I think I'll watch them again! :lol:

Get used to running it in promode! That was the biggest thing for me but now that's all I run it in

I own 9 machines and 3 are ATPs. They get 95% of the use.

First get a 5x8 coil. Two of mine have that one and I use them almost every time. It's lighter,better in trashy or confined areas, pinpoints better and less resistance in water.

The difference between standard and pro is that in standard all audio signals sound the same. A dime at 2 inches sounds the same as a dime at 8 inches. In pro, that dime at. 8 inches sounds fainter.

Unless I am relic hunting I want to knock out all the iron signals so this is what I do. I set my machine in BOTH standard and pro at custom full 40 iron disc. I then start in standard custom so I get that solid audio signal. When I get a signal I home in on it and hit the iron audio button. Why? Big rusty metal can ring up like a quarter or higher (87-99). If the machine grunts its iron and and keep hunting. If it's still a good signal, I switch to Pro custom for a depth check before digging.

This system is nearly foolproof. In pro, you might miss hearing a deep deep target especially in a noisy environment.

Interesting, I'll have to try it!
What I have loved is that I dig up very little trash comparatively. That has been really nice!!!!

I'm back to a permission near an old fort this weekend...gonna really stretch its legs :)

Use pro mode, and you gotta use the headphones to hear all the scratches from junk and solid signals from the goodies.
Alum bottle caps can fool you
Steel bottle caps you can hear with iron audio on.
Happy detecting!

Good luck! Never used a 350. AT Pro was my first machine. I used it for a couple years before it went on the fritz. I loved it so much that while it was out for repair I ordered a second AT Pro so I would have a backup! :-D

I second the recommendation to run in Pro Zero mode. The proportional audio can give you all kinds of information that you can build your heuristics on.

I generally run my iron disc at 40, and I notch out 40-49. I hunt very trashy areas and I'm sick of digging foil (note, nickels sound scratchy with these settings.)

Also, I strongly recommend the 5x8 coil. It's such a nice coil!

I went from a 350 to an ATPro, too. Sorry Garrett, but I just never liked the bell tones of the ACE machines. I started with the Pro running in the Standard mode then checking each target in the Pro mode, before digging. It didn't take long until I was running in Pro mode all the time. Watch the DVD several times, go out and practice, then watch the DVD a few more times. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom