Got the Boot from an Arkie

NevTrac

Forum Supporter
Today I decided to hunt a spot that I hit a few months ago. The site is a National Forest Servece office that just so happens to have an older house on the property. Before I hunted it the first time I got verbal permission from a Forest Service agent.

So there I was swingin away when a man approached me and identified himself as a NFS archeoligist. He told me that I was on federal property, (I already knew this:lol:) and that detecting was prohibited on ALL federal land.

Now I am aware of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) and I'm not allowed to remove artifacts over 100 years old, but why did he tell me detecting was illegal on federal land? He also told me they were really going to be cracking down because of the recent TV shows about treasure hunting. I agreed with him that those shows were not only bad for archeoligists, but the average hobbyist as well.

If I'm not allowed to hunt on federal land (this includes BLM) I just lost about 90% of my hunting grounds. Park hunting sucks so call me an outlaw!:pirate2:

Keith

I can't find anything in NHPA about a 100 year rule. Any idea where this is stated. I believe you, I just can't find it.

The NFS has always had a very fair stance when it comes to coinshooting on the land, sounds like that is about to end in a maelstrom of hysteria.

It's also worth mentioning that ARPA specifically excludes coins from it's restrictions unless it is in an archaeological context, including the 100 year rule. I'm sure by the time they're done the parking lot will be in an archaeological context.

Today I decided to hunt a spot that I hit a few months ago. The site is a National Forest Servece office that just so happens to have an older house on the property. Before I hunted it the first time I got verbal permission from a Forest Service agent.

So there I was swingin away when a man approached me and identified himself as a NFS archeoligist. He told me that I was on federal property, (I already knew this:lol:) and that detecting was prohibited on ALL federal land.

Now I am aware of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) and I'm not allowed to remove artifacts over 100 years old, but why did he tell me detecting was illegal on federal land? He also told me they were really going to be cracking down because of the recent TV shows about treasure hunting. I agreed with him that those shows were not only bad for archeoligists, but the average hobbyist as well.

If I'm not allowed to hunt on federal land (this includes BLM) I just lost about 90% of my hunting grounds. Park hunting sucks so call me an outlaw!:pirate2:

Keith

outlaw!:laughing: I agree with ya

Truthfully, I'm getting REALLY agitated with some of the attitudes of Archaeologists, when it comes to MDing. I went to college for my Undergraduate in Anthropology, and havent decided on either Archaeology or Forensic Anthropology as a specialty. I had a taste of the elitist attitude portrayed by some of the professors, but had to endure it to pass the class. This was also before I got into MDing. I hadn't formed an opinion for either side in the beginning, and I guess I really shouldn't "pick a side", but after witnessing some of the underhanded and (borderline) illegal practices done to procure specimens and sites by the "professional" shovel-bums, I have found it increasingly more difficult to not. The fact is, there have been MAJOR finds (historical and otherwise) that were made by amateur Detectorists and by Junior Undergraduates that go unpublished and unrecognized by the academic world simply because they (institutions) would not receive the grant money. I just wish they would be as transparent as the MDing community is and not hind behind a veil of altruism when it comes to historical and monetary finds. Sorry I went off on a tangent, but it is very disheartening for me to hear the vitriol the academic elite are spewing about our community, when they know very well that without our contributions (and our manpower, time and effort) we would be well behind the curve in learning about our history and culture. I'll step down from my soap-box, now.

OK, y'all can blast me now...

BUT I HAVE HAD IT! You break a law knowingly by your own admission and then you get on here and whine about it when you get caught. Re-read the code of ethics. If you would work with the Archeologists and offer your services you might get further.

BUT I HAVE HAD IT! You break a law knowingly by your own admission and then you get on here and whine about it when you get caught. Re-read the code of ethics. If you would work with the Archeologists and offer your services you might get further.

I admitted to knowingly being on federal land. Show me what law I was breaking. I am very familar with ARPA amd was doing nothing wrong.

As far as working with archeologists, I have no problem with that. He told me about a couple of upcoming digs they are going to be doing. They are going to be looking for volunteer detectorists to assist them so we exchanged contact information.

I am not whining about anything BTW, I just thought it funny that he twisted the law on his behalf.

Keith

Last edited:
I always laugh at the Archies in the U.S! They always act like under every rock is a priceless treasure and they stick their nose up at all of us MDrs. Here in Europe I have walked onto 2 different Archaology sites and they welcomed me with open arms and even let me use my detector to help them find some Roman relics. The Archies in the U.S could learn a couple things from the ones in Europe if they would drop their nose a bit to pay attention.....sadly they never will.....

I always laugh at the Archies in the U.S! They always act like under every rock is a priceless treasure and they stick their nose up at all of us MDrs. Here in Europe I have walked onto 2 different Archaology sites and they welcomed me with open arms and even let me use my detector to help them find some Roman relics. The Archies in the U.S could learn a couple things from the ones in Europe if they would drop their nose a bit to pay attention.....sadly they never will.....

Very true. I have been on two digs and have an anthropology minor, and they simply view us as 'pot hunters' and basically think we are uneducated scum who don't 'provenience our finds'

Disconnected had verbal permission... I see nothing but honestly in his post.

Very true. I have been on two digs and have an anthropology minor, and they simply view us as 'pot hunters' and basically think we are uneducated scum who don't 'provenience our finds'

Also, they look at even Graduate students that aren't in the "click" with disdain. Sort of like the way Astrophysicists look at UFO hunters with degrees.:roll:

Why not ask one of these altruistic archaeologists if they would do any of their digs if they didn't get compensated for it, be it in cash or recognition? I seriously doubt it.

I understand what you all are saying there is alot of arks that are puting it lightly Butt heads. i for my self can say i have been very lucky an the historical arks in my area are not this way the ones here in my area have accually givin me tips and propertys but. not knowing when i started mding in my area like everything is listed historical. my area was founded in 1642 an has prior history back to 1430. so i did my research an accualy spoke with the head of my township the code inforcer the historical socity and cheif of police to check the laws an was givin the go ahead for any property owned by the township. by doing this i became aqwatinces of them all an they all are constinly giving me tips,maps,stories,and info. so we cant just say its all of them cause there is a few that are nice. just depends on how you prosent your self an handle your self. ok im done with my rant and good luck on your sistuation.

Back
Top Bottom