first crotal

bobac

Elite Member
Had a permission from a friend to hit his dad's 1900 house with a huge yard.
After 2 minutes I knew it had been swept before.....I still had fun hunting it....
I did manage a first for me....Looks like a crotal bell. I would've just tossed it in with the scrap copper but upon a closer inspection I see there is a patent number/date stamped on it.....So I guess we'll see if I can get any more info on it.
It appears to say PAT 001.24 MAY 14.78. Can I assume 1878 ??
Not much else to speak of other than a couple wheats.....
This is some info I dug up from the patent office:
So this is a TUCKER bell
No. 203,675. Patented May 14. 1878.

Jim/[0 N-FETERS. PHOTO-LITHOGRAPHER. WASHINGTON. I10v UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.

GEORGE W. TUCKER, OF WATERBURY, CONNECTICUT.

IMPROVEMENT IN THE MANUFACTURE OF SLElGH-BELLS.

Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 203,675, dated May 14, 1878; application filed January 21, 1878.

of Waterbury, in the State of Connecticut,
And apparently only the earlier made bells had the dates stamped on them...

Attachments

• 20170813_211032.jpg
    20170813_211032.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 20170813_211358.jpg
    20170813_211358.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 20170813_211159.jpg
    20170813_211159.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Scrap a crotal bell? And it's not even copper!! Blasphemy lol

Also I might add that finding a crotal bell, a very hard target to miss, may mean that the yard in fact had not been done, or at least not very thoroughly. Those fall of sleighs or wagons or oxen so maybe that part of the yard didn't used to be part of the yard a long time ago. I would be very happy to find a crotal bell, that to me means that there should be more finds in store soon!

GL happy hunting

Chef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

love me the crotals, would take them over alot of other finds i make

crotal

Scrap a crotal bell? And it's not even copper!! Blasphemy lol

Also I might add that finding a crotal bell, a very hard target to miss, may mean that the yard in fact had not been done, or at least not very thoroughly. Those fall of sleighs or wagons or oxen so maybe that part of the yard didn't used to be part of the yard a long time ago. I would be very happy to find a crotal bell, that to me means that there should be more finds in store soon!

GL happy hunting

Chef

Its not copper??!! :roll: What are they typically?
And is it common to have Pat dates on them/ and does that necessarily imply the date it was made?

Its not copper??!! :roll: What are they typically?

And is it common to have Pat dates on them/ and does that necessarily imply the date it was made?

In the photo you posted it doesn't look like a Pat date unless the pat part was left out of the photo and it looks a little crudely made to be a machine stamp. I'm thinking that a person hand printed that date on it. I have never seen one with any markings besides a number of what size it was, looks like a cool find to me! I would be happy to put it in my collection that's for sure! Good work ;)

Back
Top Bottom