New guy from Iowa

Howdy from a Texan now living in north central Iowa. I have both a Garrett and Whites machine. Both work good just got to know your machine and what it's telling you. Still lots in the ground but you got to walk over it with your coil to the ground and your ears open.

Senior Deacon

Hi Roger . . . regarding the choice of detector, I won't recommend any specific brands or models (because I've only used one) but I will give you my experience by telling you what I did. Not because it was right or wrong, I'll just pass on my experience and you can do with the information what you will.

So about two years ago give or take, I jumped into the hobby by purchasing a White's V3i, which in retrospect was kind of like putting a 5.7 liter Hemi into a 1976 Chevette. The detector itself was WAY more machine than I needed or even knew how to handle as a beginner. I tried to use it a few times, got completely overwhelmed, and put it away for almost a year and a half and basically quit the hobby out of sheer frustration, because I was having zero success.

Then about two months ago I dug it out again--but this time, I did my homework first. I found a great place near my house to practice (a really large but trash-filled public park next to a boat ramp) and I dug everything I found for about three weeks. I learned what the green / red / blue bars meant, read articles about VDI, kept a book of notes, learned about Polarity Plotting and Sizing Grids, read a few books on detecting, basically absorbed myself in it. Two months later I'm having a blast, and this past weekend I dug almost 80 coins (including 9 from the 50s and 60s) out of a local park and playground in 4 hours. And now that I know the detector better, I'm actually able to visit places that are absolutely hammered by other people and still do well.

So what's my point? That you can either get a really complex detector to start, or a really simple one. Bottom line if you're not willing to fail for a month straight right out of the gate, get something simple. But if you're ready to immerse yourself in the hobby thru reading, experimenting and really going hard those first few months, get something more complicated. For me, in retrospect I'd probably do it the same all over again, for no other reason than my machine feels like a magic wand now that I know what I'm doing.

Your call, but either way good luck!

Ok, guys.....Here comes the first question.
There's a local C-list ad for a Garrett Ace 400, asking $250. I can see that the price is good, and what on-line reviews I've read are decent. Owner says he bought it new in April of '17, and there's still warranty left. (This suggests he didn't send in the registration card.)
What I haven't read is real-world use by everyday hobbyists.:?:

What say the experts?!

Roger

Well, the Ace 400 didn't work out. Seller never responded after I queried what he meant by "warranty left", and whether he had sent in the warranty registration card.

But; In my favor, I picked up an Ace 350, for a nice price, from our very own "Pastor Bob" over in Nebraska. Hasn't arrived yet, but now it's time to start gearing up.

My childhood grade school, junior high, and neighborhood park is calling my name.

Roger

Well, the Ace 400 didn't work out. Seller never responded after I queried what he meant by "warranty left", and whether he had sent in the warranty registration card.

But; In my favor, I picked up an Ace 350, for a nice price, from our very own "Pastor Bob" over in Nebraska. Hasn't arrived yet, but now it's time to start gearing up.

My childhood grade school, junior high, and neighborhood park is calling my name.

Roger

I am from Ankeny and I would have bet a million dollars I was on here back maybe 5 years ago. Roger nice to see you get started. I sold my big Whites a while back and now have a new Whites (easy to learn) Treasure Master on the way. The Whites has a two year transferable warranty and I am sure the other brand you found on CL did also.

Back
Top Bottom