Scammed?

BluegrassJames

On Vacation...
About a month ago, scuba and I met a Detectorist that lived about 10-15 miles from us. We scheduled a hunt for the following weekend at an old church.

That weekend, we met up, introduced ourselves, and started hunting the church. After about an hour of finding nothing, but junk, The guy we just met (Not mentioning names) noticed that my Pin Pointer was falsing (When you touched it to something, it sounded off, even if it was not metal). He explained to me that he fixes stuff like that and asked if he could bring it home to fix it for me, I agreed. He told me he would have the problem figured out that week and would tell me what needed to be fixed.

A few days later, he called and told me there were a few problems, but he could fix them. He said he was going to go to Radio Shack and get some parts for it. I said OK and to let me know when he got the parts.

A few days pass, so I send him a message and see if he ever got the parts, He tells me that he contacted a worker at Whites Metal Detectors and she told him she was going to send him some replacement parts. I said OK and to tell me when the parts got to his house.

A few more days pass and I message him to see if the parts came in. He said that he contacted the worker at Whites again and she told him to send Whites the Pin Pointer and they would try to fix it and if they couldn't, they would send me a new one (No Charge). I tell him to tell me when Whites contact him about it being fixed or if they were sending me a new one.

About a week passes and I still haven't heard anything from the guy, so I send him a message. He says that he hasn't got it back yet. I say OK and I will check back soon to see if he got it.

Another week or two passes and still no word, so I send him another message. He says he has the Pin Pointer (I don't know if he has the same one I had or new one) He says he asks for my address, so he could mail it to me.
I give him the address and he says he will mail it asap.

About 2 days go by and nothing has came in the mail, so I send him ANOTHER message. He tells me that he went to Missouri to deal with some things, I ask if he mailed it and he says no.

Now we are here, about a month without a Pin Pointer, a month without hunting. He says he won't be back until June/July. Here are my thoughts -

Why didn't he tell me he was going out of town BEFORE he said he would mail me the Pin Pointer. I think the whole story is CRAP and that something else happened to my Pin Pointer. If he does have a new one, I bet he bought it because he couldn't fix my other one. I don't think he sent it to Whites and I don't think he even talked to Whites about the Pin Pointer.

I haven't been able to hunt (Alone) for a month. I have to go with scuba and share his Pro Pointer. I don't mind that, but I hate walking back and forth from getting the Pro Pointer and to my hole and bringing it back to him.....

So now I have to somehow get money for a Pro Pointer or something similar.

What are your guy's thoughts? Is he full of crap?

It sounds like BS but if the member is on the fourm that you are talking about it is better kept between you guys via message. I realize you are ticked (i would be as well :)) but you might unintentionally stir up more trouble. If he or she is from the forum you could talk to one of the moderators and they could probably help you out. just my thouhgts bud I know it is a crappy crappy situation. It is sad you can trust folks anymore

I don't know if you've been intentionally scammed or not, but if the guy with your Pin Pointer only lives 10-15 miles away, I think I'd head over to his house and see if he's actually out of town or not... He may have come back already, or never left, no telling...

I don't know if you've been intentionally scammed or not, but if the guy with your Pin Pointer only lives 10-15 miles away, I think I'd head over to his house and see if he's actually out of town or not... He may have come back already, or never left, no telling...

He lives on a Military Base and I do not think I can get in the gates :p

It sounds like BS but if the member is on the fourm that you are talking about it is better kept between you guys via message. I realize you are ticked (i would be as well :)) but you might unintentionally stir up more trouble. If he or she is from the forum you could talk to one of the moderators and they could probably help you out. just my thouhgts bud I know it is a crappy crappy situation. It is sad you can trust folks anymore

He's only on Tnet I believe.

That sucks. Sorry for your loss. Sounds to me like a bunch of BS. If I had a pointer to spare i would give you one.

Hopefully Karma strikes soon.

If he is in the military, contact the base and ask who is supervisor is, trust me...they will get your stuff back.

Once his CO gets word of this his posterior will start growing grass and the CO will be the lawn mower. You will get back what he took and he will
probably face disciplinary charges as well. What you describe is theft.

In the mean time just set your coil next to the hole and grab a hand full of soil then wave it across the coil, and if it beeps then the target is in your hand. Easier than having to keep walking over to your friend to borrow the pp. Good luck with getting it back.

His son is in the Military, he just lives with him on the base.

Well that is even better his son is his in charge of his every move. You woud actually get the son in trouble. I think if that started to happen then his son would light a fire under his but to give you stuff back. What branch of military is it. I can look him up for ya...

Well that is even better his son is his in charge of his every move. You woud actually get the son in trouble. I think if that started to happen then his son would light a fire under his but to give you stuff back. What branch of military is it. I can look him up for ya...

Not sure.. Just know they live on the base and his Son is in the Military :p

Not sure.. Just know they live on the base and his Son is in the Military :p

This is just the same as if it were him in the military, except he will have to live with the fact that if he doesnt get you your pointer back, his son will be paying for it out of his paycheck and getting a LOR (Letter of Reprimand- at the least) for what his dad did. The military doesnt like things like this, they take it very seriously.

Let Kolby get the information for you...inform the guy what information you have and that you will be contacting his commanding officer...trust me, you will get your stuff back!

and, if it is broke worse, he will have to buy you a new one.

I'm in Missouri.. I guess if I meet someone detecting I'll know not to let them try and fix anything for me..:lol: Hope you get your pointer back soon..

Back
Top Bottom