Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 09-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Supporter

Default Bye Bye Velcro Ties

Just thought I'd share this bit of awesomeness I picked up from Dankowski forums. They are rubber tomato plant vine support ties. go on and off in a second, and I think hold more stable than the velcro. I went with 70mm which are perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by ChrisMD; 09-02-2018 at 09:14 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Just thought I'd share this bit of awesomeness I picked up from Dankowski forums. They are rubber tomato plant vine support ties. go on and off in a second, and I think hold more stable than the velcro. I went with 70mm which are perfect.

great idea! Thanks, I'll probably order me a set.

My Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSilverFiend
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/detecting_silver/

Old 09-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Elite Member

I got some after seeing the post from Keith on the forum. They work well. The salt water and sun will probably take their toll, but you do get a nice supply in the bag. Better than the Velcro? Much!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Supporter

Getting ready to order for next season now. Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Supporter

Thanks for posting the suggestion - looks like a fantastic alternative! I ordered a set of the 70mm. These look like they might be much more "easy on, easy off" than the rubber twist ties I've been using, which is important to me because I'm constantly switching coils to suit my sites.

I've been using 12" rubber twist ties originally intended as cable organizers. Like these tomato ties, the rubber twist ties are better than Velcro ties because they cleaned up easy - just hose them down right on the machine - and they don't get mucked up or wear out like the velcro ties. Downside is that it takes a little time to wrap them such that the cable stays secure without being unsightly or in the way. And they are pretty expensive in comparison - I paid more for a two pack than the 24-pack of tomato plant ties! Upside to the twist ties is that they specifically mention that they aren't damaged in salt water, and they're UV resistant, so they're safe for extended sunlight exposure as well. But as goodmore noted, with a 24 pack and the price of the tomato ties, that might not matter so much.

Here's a link to the rubber twist ties in case anyone is interested: Nite Ize Gear Tie, 12"

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1861 Seated Liberty Dime
Oldest foreign coin: 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Large Cent

Garrett AT Max, Pro Pointer I & II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

Old 09-04-2018, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the tip. Just placed my order for Henrich Anchor Bands -Tomato plant vine support rubber band ties.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the tip. How many times are you wrapping the tie around the shaft?

Old 09-09-2018, 01:28 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by tbw View post
Thanks for the tip. How many times are you wrapping the tie around the shaft?
Just once.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Just once.
Thanks for the response.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Here's a couple of close-up pictures of the bands on my Nox. I ran the coil cable straight up the shaft without wrapping it around. I had one small coil of cable just below the control box.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 AM

Word, thanks.
Stay away from Glen Burnie. Place is a hole.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by mdmike01 View post
Word, thanks.

Stay away from Glen Burnie. Place is a hole.

The couple times Iíve sampled around Glen Burnie were all a bust.

Bowie is turning out to be awesome. Itís almost like Itís never been detected before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 AM
Supporter

Received mine, and they work great on my AT Max- thanks again for the tip, ChrisMD!

Just a heads up for anyone else who might order them: Shipping took a little longer than expected. I ordered mine on Sept 3, and got notified by Amazon that they had shipped on Sept 5, with estimated deliver between Sept 7 and Sept 12.

Well, Sept 12, 13 and even 14 came and went, and no delivery. On the 15th, I was getting worried and sent a message to the seller to ask for specific tracking info...and of course they ended up arriving with the mail that day. The envelope indicated that it was truly mailed on the 5th just like Amazon said, and it was only coming from Iowa (I'm in Ohio).

Maybe my mail is slow, but I just thought I'd let folks know in case they are still waiting for theirs - mine took 10 days to cross 3 states. Not a big deal for me, but worrisome only because it overshot the Amazon estimate by several days.

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1861 Seated Liberty Dime
Oldest foreign coin: 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Large Cent

Garrett AT Max, Pro Pointer I & II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Supporter

Mine took about 11 days to get to me in Maryland. Because they weigh under a pound and can fit in a bubble mailer, they're able to ship first class package. First class package shipping with USPS is a nightmare, speaking from experience shipping out a couple thousand items that i could get out first class in a bubble mailer. It was always like playing the slots, sometimes they got their quick, sometimes it would take 15 days to get 2 states over. But I understand why they ship first class, it's cheap....nobody wants to pay $5 shipping on a $5 order.

Luckily, I found out my local garden center sells these, so in the future if I need more can just pop in and stock up.

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
Received mine, and they work great on my AT Max- thanks again for the tip, ChrisMD!

Just a heads up for anyone else who might order them: Shipping took a little longer than expected. I ordered mine on Sept 3, and got notified by Amazon that they had shipped on Sept 5, with estimated deliver between Sept 7 and Sept 12.

Well, Sept 12, 13 and even 14 came and went, and no delivery. On the 15th, I was getting worried and sent a message to the seller to ask for specific tracking info...and of course they ended up arriving with the mail that day. The envelope indicated that it was truly mailed on the 5th just like Amazon said, and it was only coming from Iowa (I'm in Ohio).

Maybe my mail is slow, but I just thought I'd let folks know in case they are still waiting for theirs - mine took 10 days to cross 3 states. Not a big deal for me, but worrisome only because it overshot the Amazon estimate by several days.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Supporter

I have lower shafts for every coil. Cable gets zip-tied to lower since it never comes off. Cable wraps around mid and upper shaft to connection. Nothing to fool with for coil change other than the one shaft lock and cable connector.

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake