Garrett Pro Pointer problems

bamadigtab

Elite Member
Hopefully someone can help me. Back in January I purchased a Garrett Pro Pointer, it performed amazing; however here lately it is giving me some issues. When I turn it on even after a brand new battery it beeps constantly even when holding it straight up in the air. I have to power it off then back on and it will stabilize and seem to work fine, but now I just about have to be touching the coin before it detects it. It seems to have lost sensitivity majorly. The light still works great though. And I have noticed that intermediately when I press the power button to turn it on it will power on then when I release the button it goes right back off and I have to hold the button down for a few seconds before it will turn on.

Is anyone else that uses this device have similar issues?

Exactly what has happened to ours !! My first one did that from the beginning, we sent it back and still didn't work. Then we ordered another that worked for a while and now is acting up. Planning to send them back to Garrett this winter. It gets very frustrating !!

maybe try placing a nickel between the battery and battery cover, maybe its just a contact problem. if all else fail just call garrett.......they have amazing customer service

Exactly what has happened to ours !! My first one did that from the beginning, we sent it back and still didn't work. Then we ordered another that worked for a while and now is acting up. Planning to send them back to Garrett this winter. It gets very frustrating !!

I just printed my receipt where I purchased it from Kellyco and it does have a 2 year warranty with it so having it replaced wont be a problem.

How long does it take to get it back after sending it off?

I just printed my receipt where I purchased it from Kellyco and it does have a 2 year warranty with it so having it replaced wont be a problem.

How long does it take to get it back after sending it off?

Usually less than 10 days total. Mail it Tuesday, should have it back by next Friday.

maybe try placing a nickel between the battery and battery cover, maybe its just a contact problem. if all else fail just call garrett.......they have amazing customer service

Yes, tried the nickel thing. Seemed to help for a while with the first PP, then the problem got steadly worse. I agree Garrett does have great costumer service.

Did they replace it or repair it?

Repaired mine, but it still did the same thing. Never called them back...and I really should. Even using it with its issue is better than not having one....planning on sending both back in the winter

Well after trying the nickle thing believe it or not I pressed the power button and it broke ..... I mean I can't even press it on or off it just stays in the same place and wont come on at all. I'm afraid to press any harder cause of doing more damage ..... I'm just gonna call Garrett and get it fixed. Does anyone have any suggestion on another brand or that works as well without the drama

Dang, so many seem to be having problems with their Propointers, but I have had mine since Christmas 2008 and never had a problem with it. I guess I am just lucky like that.:p

Mine too

Mine just started acting up this morning.
would not stop beeping after I located a target.
I bought a spare last month for just such an occasion!

Garrett Pro Pinpointer Nickel trick causes problems down the road

My two detecting buddies use a nickel pulled back until it stops vibrating it. Adds inch or so to the depth it detects but after a while it makes the pin pointer act up. Another thing you might find is dirt getting in under the rubber causing a problem. I don't know if the rubber can be popped off to clean it out or not, haven't tried . Usually a worn out battery makes it constantly act up. So if using cheap batteries it may do this. do a voltage test and see what the voltage is on the 9 volt. I don't remember what a good one will read at as it wears out but it is failry high voltage yet. For a 1.5 volt AA they read 1.27 so this may give you a idea. I use a multimeter with voltage readings to test my batteries.

If you having had it long call Garrett and turn it in , my friend did and got a new one. I own 2 of them no major issues I run mine standard way. Try this don't look too long having it buzz and sound off . May make it last a long time that way. Get your idea where the target is and turn it off. Seems like someone told me there is a feature activated by being near a target , turning it off an back on to do something. I don't remember what now. maybe in the paper for the detector. But like a lot of things I toss stuff I figure I know how to use.
If it wasn't for making it easy to find the surface to 1 inch down targets I would sell both of my pin pointers. but I can be way off on surface coins and the pin pointer is very handy for that, or cutting the plug and locating where to grab the hand full of dirt. I use the coil to find out if I grabbed it up. and split the hand full of dirt til I know it is in little dirt.
M6 Mike

Pro Pointer problems

I just started a tread on the problems I read on line plus what I know from my friends issues.
Pressure on them can cause a hair line crack , turning on in the hole can cause them reading minerals, weak batteries cause them to act up, close to the body they can read iron in your blood they say , don't sound likely to me but who knows. And pressure on them makes them sound off. I know that first hand. I have tried grabbing it down so I don't push against the screw top on them .

Best thing to do and I will start doing this is use it in the air in the hole after turning on away from anything so it last longer and try to carry a hanky to clean off my hand so I don't get muddy sand in the rubber button cover. Use it for what it was intended for telling where in the hole the target is and not try to get close enough by pushing on a surface to a inch down target to get a reaction out of it. Paid enough I don't want to break it. Yeah rugget until pushed too much too long it will break down. Like everything else there are defective products that pop up in the best of items made.
M6 Mike

Mine had a bad switch. Your problems sound familiar. Garrett fixed mine and sent it back with no charge.

They're poorly made. On my third one now. Only reason it hasn't failed is because I haven't been detecting much because of work. If I was detecting several hours a day like I used to it'd break in no time.

Bullseye!

i have a hand me down Whites Bullseye from a friend. he used it 5 yrs. he got a Garrett he loves. i never even had a machine with pin point, just did the Tesoro shake. the Whites has spoiled me, just have to remember it is not a digging tool. it is pretty stable although not as sensitive as the Garrett, it is good for the parks. John Edmonton on another forum uses the Garrett and always posts his finds with it and a screwdriver. that machine has been thru the ringer and he apparently has no problems that i know of. i wonder if they bought some of the foreign junk components?

Back
Top Bottom