Back out hunting after months

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Fields getting picked, and the best part is their getting cut-down following picking (cotton). This makes it "almost" as nice as hunting bean stubble. Lst year I'd hunted in the 3' tall "jungle".

I caught the crew one morning last week at the edge of a field, and stopped to verify permission (hunted same areas for past 2-3 years), but noticed new faces. Older farmer retired, new guy was more than happy to grant permission. This opened me up to all fields, not just specific ones.

So, I'm currently in a field I'd wanted to get into since last year, but couldn't catch-up with anyone to ask (until now). This field has a couple debris piles in it, and held several structures at one time. Plat maps lack for this county (courthouse fire), so early 1950's is the best it gets.

Anyway, Friday I hit it for the 1st time, and after a couple wheaties, found a Baber dime on the surface. I saw it just about the same time the coil hit it. Not the best shape, and couldn't get a date from it. But silver's silver. ;)

Oct_12,_2018.png

Oct12,2018.png

Found a "good for" token

Oct_12,_2018.png

Oct_12,_2018.png

And another Mississippi Tax Token

Oct_12,_2018.png

Misc junk

Oct12,2018.jpg

Went back yesterday, working a little slower even though rain was in the forecast (after 1/2" Sunday night), but it held-off plus the temps were cooler, so it was a great day to be out.

Yesterday's finds

Screenshot_2018-10-16_at_6.00.36_AM.png

Screenshot_2018-10-16_at_6.00.28_AM.png

I believe this is the 1st "Play Money" I've found. It was folded in half.

Screenshot_2018-10-16_at_6.01.17_AM.png

Screenshot_2018-10-16_at_6.01.05_AM.png

Another token for a pack of smokes

Screenshot_2018-10-16_at_6.00.45_AM.png

Screenshot_2018-10-16_at_6.00.53_AM.png

Probably my favorite find

Screenshot_2018-10-16_at_6.00.16_AM.png

Screenshot_2018-10-16_at_5.59.57_AM.png

Wheaties range from 1915 to 1952. Definitely an area that could produce more silver or possibly other cool relics.

PA150002.jpg

Was thinking about getting back out this AM, but woke to rain. So, I've got some errands to run and will be back out tomorrow.

I've got another nickle (Jefferson) in the tumbler right now, unsure on date. For some reason it didn't clean-up as well as the Buffalo.

Congrats on getting those permissions. Some very nice finds for sure. Those Tokens are really neat. That Buffalo cleaned up very well. Hope you do dig more Silver to go with the Barber. Trapper

Thanks all! Finds in these fields are usually pretty hard to come by. Being mostly sharecroppers, they didn't have much to lose. Lost silver is rare, though last year I scored an 1890's Seated Quarter. Still yet to find an IH here.

Due to finding this amount/quality (using those terms very loosely) in a couple hunts here, makes me think this was an actual homestead, as opposed to a thrown-up sharecropper shack. I'd hunted another field for weeks on end last year, to find little more than I've found here in 2 days, and I've yet to really expand the search area. Be nice if I could locate the old shade tree, privy, and clothesline areas.

The other nickle was a 1942, it's gunked-up like the Barber, looks like asphalt, and the tumbler wouldn't touch it, so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Tomorrow's a new day and the ground will have plenty of moisture in it after today's rain. :cool:

I like the lock... hope the rest of field has more in store...

Norm! lol...

Good to see you're still around!

I spent the day out there, spent a couple hours around a different area of the field, no luck. So I went back to where I'd made the above finds. I stick a surveyor flag in the dirt when I make a "keeper" find, in order to see if I can notice a pattern of any sort.

Long story short, found another Mississippi Tax Token, and a Wheatie.

I'm going back tomorrow, but taking the Vaquero (been using the DeLeon) to see if I can scare-up another keeper or two. If not, I'm switching fields next week.

Nice bunch of finds, congrats!! The corn was harvested in my favorite fields Tuesday and the beans will soon follow. I can't wait to get back to the fields!!

Spent my last day in this field. Got there at 7AM, and stayed 'til about 2PM, using the Vaq this time.

I did find a lone wheatie early on, and all that did was get my hopes up :laughing:

They must not have been taught to pick-up tools when they were done using them, as I dug a few today.

ETA: I dug about 1.5 pounds of lead here too, most being what look to be hoop-net weights (2" long green bean)

Rain coming in tomorrow, so early next week I'll be hitting a different field.

Yesterday's meager finds:

PA170001.jpg

Today:

3 axe heads and a ball pein

PA180004.jpg

Unsure on this hammer head, shoeing hammer maybe? No slot for nail-pulling in the claw end.

Couple of broken keys were dream crushers :laughing: (hoping for a coin or token). Back of the watch says Jefferson, with a serial number.

PA180008.jpg

PA180007.jpg

It's about dang time you gave us a good report! Been wondering where ya went. I figured you were cycling yourself into shape. You must be doing alright. You're pulling some serious fieldwork there. Lot of nice finds too! They generally call that one a cobbler's hammer.
GL on the rest of the area.

Sweet!! Gauntlet, I found a Barber dime and a Mississippi tax token today also...

It's about dang time you gave us a good report! Been wondering where ya went. I figured you were cycling yourself into shape. You must be doing alright. You're pulling some serious fieldwork there. Lot of nice finds too! They generally call that one a cobbler's hammer.
GL on the rest of the area.

I hadn't been detecting since I'm pretty much a field hunter, and it was too danged hot to go fishing! :lol: Have been sticking with the working-out though.

I didn't even think about a cobbler. Thanks!

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom