civil war battle areas on county property woods

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
In one of the metro area counties I have notices a lot of land parcels owned by the county that are near or on civil war battle sites or camp grounds.

They are not posted at all just wooded areas mostly near creeks where they cannot build anything because of flood plain issues. It seems like to me getting some government desk jockey giving me permission hunt is slim and none. Even if I could find the right person in the county to ask. These counties are loaded with neighborhoods, office parks and shopping centers, not rural counties.

I am inclined to just hunt and apologize and leave if confronted by any county official. Quite honestly once down in these wooded areas absolutely no would see me or just think me a government worker doing some survey work.

Anyone had experience with hunting on county properties like these?

In one of the metro area counties I have notices a lot of land parcels owned by the county that are near or on civil war battle sites or camp grounds.

They are not posted at all just wooded areas mostly near creeks where they cannot build anything because of flood plain issues. It seems like to me getting some government desk jockey giving me permission hunt is slim and none. Even if I could find the right person in the county to ask. These counties are loaded with neighborhoods, office parks and shopping centers, not rural counties.

I am inclined to just hunt and apologize and leave if confronted by any county official. Quite honestly once down in these wooded areas absolutely no would see me or just think me a government worker doing some survey work.

Anyone had experience with hunting on county properties like these?

There are Township or County owned areas around here that are 'open space' and are to prevent development of flood plains, etc. Many now have public trails and access parking. Other takes a little walking from a good place to park my Van.
I do MD hunt them without problems.

Do not ask if can MD. Best is just go hunt them. Like you said, no one will know you are there. Just be sure to park legally and some where that does not attract attention.
Be sure to let some one you know where you are going and carry your cell phone. This is just in case you get hurt.

All you need is a hard hat, ear buds, and a bright green vest. If anyone approaches yell hey! You're not smoking are you?? They'll assume you're with a gas company and leave you alone..

There are Township or County owned areas around here that are 'open space' and are to prevent development of flood plains, etc. Many now have public trails and access parking. Other takes a little walking from a good place to park my Van.
I do MD hunt them without problems.

Do not ask if can MD. Best is just go hunt them. Like you said, no one will know you are there. Just be sure to park legally and some where that does not attract attention.
Be sure to let some one you know where you are going and carry your cell phone. This is just in case you get hurt.

yes parking can be an issue in northern Atlanta suburbs. I always use google earth to scout out a good parking place that is legal so the police won't give me a ticket or piss off a home owner who may call the cops. I always leave a note on the dashboard to call me if they want me to move my car and my cell number.

i purchased a surveyors hat on eBay that has and emblem, company name and the words Engineering and Surveying on it. This give them the impression I am on official business. This works in Atlanta because there is so much development surveyors are just part of the suburban landscape.

Always get permission, and if flood plains you have to know that most items are going to be very deep. But good luck and HH.

Absolutely loved your link !

The perpetual dilemma, eh ? A skittish careful person reads dire things on a forum, about how someone got a stink eye or scram. And then reads of another person who "got an 'ok' from park's dept, and now they have 'peace of mind' ", blah blah.

And to find out if it's legal or not, then... sheesk, WHO BETTER TO ASK, than the powers-that-be themselves, eh ? A slam dunk genius move to ask then, right ?

But as your link shows: The devil is often in the details. There's been no shortage of stories of well-meaning people who did just that. And came away with a "no", when no true rule or law says such a thing. Perhaps the desk-jockey, as you say, envisions geeks with shovels and holes. So they give the "easy answer" . Doh!

And then the skittish newbie becomes the latest victim of "No one cared till you asked" psychology.

Is this to say that we are guaranteed to never bump into a busy-body ? OF COURSE NOT. So jeez, grow a thick skin, learn to give lip service, and learn to be invisible. You are simply not going to please every last person on earth. If that's still to traumatizing, then ... perhaps needlepoint is a better hobby.

You won't believe this turn of events!

In one metro area county in Atlanta they always had posted signs in the park, "No digging", "no removing items from park". well that pretty much covered metal detecting.

but this year I read and printed out their new park rules and regulations brochure for 2018 and guess what. They dropped those two rules no mention anywhere about prohibiting metal detecting. Go figure. first time I ever encountered a county park dropping metal detecting rules.

oversight? Or did they just get sensible? or what?
not complaining mind you, but a copy of the brochure is in my back pocket every time I hunt those parks. Just in case I get questioned by anyone.

The wooded flood plain areas in Springfield are full of homeless camps. I'm all about getting permission, but I can't see any reason to ask. Our local government is pretty good at letting you know where you aren't wanted with fences and signs and ordinances. I have asked permission to go on city property that's for sale, but I ask if I can check out the property and take measurements and "stuff". If getting permission makes you feel better, call and ask if you can go bird watching, just make sure you look at a bird while hunting and you're legal.

Back
Top Bottom