GP Pointer II detection range

TorqueMaster

Elite Member
The GP Pointer II (not the original gp pointer) have been getting some good press, so I decided to try one as a backup for my TRX. Backup is currently a better than nothing Harbor Freight Centech, which is now a backup backup.

This no replacement range-wise for the better pinpointers, but for $30ish it's not too shabby. 1 9V battery. Does beep, vibe, or beep and vibe. The volume doesn't change, but the frequency of beeping and or vibration increases the closer you get. Has a cheesy little white LED light. Claims IP 66 / 2 meter submersible. I don't plan to test that, but it looks safe to briefly rinse off under water.

Sort of a hybrid side/tip scanning area. I tested it with both a dime and a quarter, and ranges didn't vary much between the two coins. Tested it with the scraper blade sideways, and rotated 90 degrees (up) and the detection range curve did not really change. Averages about 1.5 inch range. The front 3-3.5 inches of the pinpointer do pretty much all of the detecting. See image.

I'm curious if anyone else who has one of these if it does better or worse. I got the "shrxy" branded one.

You'll have to forgive the crudeness of this model, I didn't have time to paint it or build it to scale...

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_195205038.jpg
    IMG_20201006_195205038.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 982
I can concur as to similar results -

However I dislike the slow start up when turned on, but that's just me and it is a reasonable backup/budget pointer for the money -

Sooo... I tried the GP Pointer II out side-by-side with my TRX today at a state park beach.

Completely unimpressed. Maybe I'm spoiled by the TRX, but this thing failed on many levels. First target, pinpointed more-or-less by detector. Grazing GPPII over the sand, no response. TRX hollers loudly. Just 1/2" under the sand is a plastic/foil top ripped off a ketchup packet, I think. Even exposed, the GPPII barely responded when touching it.

Second target, going over the sand, zig-zagging every half inch it peeped a little, but so weak and response feels delayed, I'm not quite sure where to dig. TRX does. Once I do dig, target is just 1/2"-1" under the sand. The GPPII has no problem finding the 70's style pulltab in the small pile of sand.

Some targets it flat out never sensed before digging, because they were too deep...even once there is a hole or a big pile of sand, it's still not making a peep. Not until it gets very very close.

The TRX I'd swear gets a whiff of a pulltab even 4-5 inches down. I've gotten so used to the TRX's range, I have apparently changed my digging habits. Rather than dig a biggish hole where the detector says, and then using a pinpointer to search the pile of dirt and the hole, I'm "pre-pinpointing" the target with the TRX. If the TRX can't sense it, a best guess hole is made, and then the TRX can usually then point the correct direction to dig further.

I didn't find any coins, and didn't plant any to test, so maybe the GPPII would do better on those...

It felt like the GPPII needed to be within an inch at most, and moving pretty slowly, for it to react. The TRX has the range AND now I realize very quick reaction time as well.

I keep wanting to compare the two as the TRX is a drug-sniffing dog that can't wait to get out of the patrol car because it already smells something, vs. GPPII is Mr. Magoo plodding along and can barely see his hand in front of his face.

I feel like the Harbor Freight Centech pinpointer, though not having quite as much range as the GPPII, reacted better/faster, but I'd really need to do a side-by-side test to be sure.

Long story short. A) I'm spoiled by my TRX. B)GPPII is better than nothing but save your pennies for a drug-sniffing dog you won't regret it!

I've had similar experiences with the GP pointer. Maybe an inch of depth, and in most cases I could be right on top of a target and it wouldn't alert to it. I used it for a hunt, and it was back in the mail for a return. I've had better luck with other pinpointers in that price range.

I got that exact same brand. Like you said, it's better than the harbor fright half-inch-range pinpointer, but I'm sure the garrett carrot is much better. I don't have a nice graph paper diagram, but I was getting a couple/few inches of range like you were.

Yep-about an inch depth. About the only plus is it helps with targets on edge and the fact that I only use a pinpointer after I've made a small hole with my screwdriver and have to locate it down the hole if I've turned it sideways or slightly off center. Maybe Santa will bring me a Tekpointer!šŸ˜:cool3:

I'll never understand why people want more depth from their pin-pointer. That's what your detector is for. I just want something that tells me where an object is in the hole I have dug.

I'll never understand why people want more depth from their pin-pointer. That's what your detector is for. I just want something that tells me where an object is in the hole I have dug.
Same here. Of course, I'm from the old school of learning how to pinpoint as best possible with the DETECTOR! The GP helps me with tiny objects or one turned on side. I also use it to find nuts or bolts I drop in the grass when working on say, a lawnmower. I'm extremely clumsy!:laughing:

Say you get an 8" silver dime signal, open up a 6" deep plug, scan the bottom with the GP pointer, you likely wont pick it up, because your 2" away. Now you have to get up, re-scan, and fool around with the pinpointer more. Now If you used a quality pinpointer, you likely would have found that target on the initial scan, thus reducing target recovery time. So I would be on my second target while your still fishing for your first. That extra depth makes a WORLD of a difference IMO. Aside from the weak depth of the GP pointer, there's many instances where it wont even pick up the target at all! You could be right on top of a gold ring, and the GP pointer wouldn't make a peep. Also, there's times when it wont stop beeping! Doesnt happen everytime, but enough times that I flat out dont trust that pinpointer. Your results may vary though...

Say you get an 8" silver dime signal, open up a 6" deep plug, scan the bottom with the GP pointer, you likely wont pick it up, because your 2" away. Now you have to get up, re-scan, and fool around with the pinpointer more. Now If you used a quality pinpointer, you likely would have found that target on the initial scan, thus reducing target recovery time. So I would be on my second target while your still fishing for your first. That extra depth makes a WORLD of a difference IMO. ..........

Couldn't agree more with this ^ and is why I use a trx or the f-pulse. As far as the GPs not being stable- you should expect that for 1/5 the price of the best ones.. Never seen a gp not pick up a ring under 1/2".

Say you get an 8" silver dime signal, open up a 6" deep plug, scan the bottom with the GP pointer, you likely wont pick it up, because your 2" away. Now you have to get up, re-scan, and fool around with the pinpointer more. Now If you used a quality pinpointer, you likely would have found that target on the initial scan, thus reducing target recovery time. So I would be on my second target while your still fishing for your first. That extra depth makes a WORLD of a difference IMO. Aside from the weak depth of the GP pointer, there's many instances where it wont even pick up the target at all! You could be right on top of a gold ring, and the GP pointer wouldn't make a peep. Also, there's times when it wont stop beeping! Doesnt happen everytime, but enough times that I flat out dont trust that pinpointer. Your results may vary though...

I use a Garrett pin-pointer but I still don't see the need for extra range.

Last edited:

For most of the coin and jewelry hunting I do along with anyone else that legally detects in the area I live in you better have a great handheld pinpointer. We cannot use shovels or dig obvious plugs on public land where I live and the soil is moderately to highly mineralized. On private land, plugs kill the grass since we might get 8" of moisture per year if we are lucky. Screwdrivers and coin popping are allowed. So if I detect a relatively shallow target, I pinpoint it with the detector, hopefully pinpoint it with a handheld pinpointer, probe for the target and pop it out if it is 4" deep or less. If it is a deeper target things get really iffy without an excellent pinpointer. Digging a 10" deep 2" wide slit with a screwdriver is no fun unless I know there is a target down there somewhere. I use a Teknetics Tek Point which gives me a solid 3.5 inches on coin sized targets. Life would be miserable without it.

The GP pinpointer that I tried a few years back wouldn't even detect a 1/2 inch out here. Totally useless.

I recently purchased a GP2 and while I haven't had a chance to use it in the field, I average about 2 inches air testing with pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters and rings. I like the ability to use beep, vibrate combinations. Seems well made. We'll see how it works in the field come spring. I was pleasantly surprised that it shuts off after 3 minutes if not used.

I was finally able to get out and try the GP2 outside. I was able to pinpoint with it (found 2 coins) but it was prone to false signals as well in the damp dirt. Ended up returning it.

Back
Top Bottom