What do you do with silver coins?

Ed Geary

I have a ton of them that I inherited. Nickels, dimes, quarters, 1/2 dollars, dollars etc.

I really have no sentimental value in them and wouldn't mind cashing them in

Who should I trust to turn them over? Some are very old - 1800's

Could you list the 1800’s dates and the coin?
Maybe we could help.

There are ways to get melt value for common silver, otherwise a brick n mortar shop coin dealer would prolly pay less, they have to make a profit to pay bills.

Since that’s what everyone here hunts, seeing a post like this really raises the eyebrows, so forgive my honest thoughts. Do you have a picture of these coins?

Here is a quick rundown of some of the coins I have in folders :

Liberty Head Nickels from 1883 to 1912 (D).

Morgan Dime Liberty Head 1892 to 1916 (S)

Mercury Head Dime 1916 (s) to 1938 (s)

Indian Head Cent 1882 to 1907

Flying Eagle Type 1858

Buffalo Nickel 1913 to 1935 (d)

and of couse Lincoln Head Cents 1909 VDB (not the S) to 1944

Folders are not complete empty spaces here and there

More coins:

Siver Dollars: 1921, 1924, 1925, 1976

1893 United States of America Columbian Half Dollar

Silver Half dollars: 1964

1854 quar.dol

1833 one cent (pretty Large in Diameter) 13 stars on it, womans head

Misc Silver Dimes from 60's

Lincold Head cents including zinc ones

If you have all of the years for each of those coins that you listed - you have some good ones.

If you can take pictures of the better coins (key dates) we can offer some opinions

The PCGS website has a price guide. It doesn’t matter if your coins are graded it’s just a good spot for you to see which ones are the most expensive in a series and see if you have it (I.e., 1885 V nickel, 1916 mercury dime).

If you can take some representative pics of conditions of the coins we can help you determine if you have $10 coins or $10,000 coins

I don't have all the years for the coins. Missing holes in those folders.

Which are the better coins and the key dates?

I don't have all the years for the coins. Missing holes in those folders.

Which are the better coins and the key dates?
Chances are the missing holes are the key dates. You can do a search online to get the key and semi-key dates for each series.

well if someone can tell me what the key dates are for each denomination, I can see if I have any of them and posts photos.

This is 100% accurate but certainly a good list to start with. Keep in mind that even a coin that’s not a key date might be rare in a certain grade or worth decent money just because of condition.

For example - I collect original skin Very Fine barber half dollar. Some can be worth many times what the price guide says which is why some photos would be good

https://www.usrarecoininvestments.com/coin_info/keydate/keydate_coins.htm

well if someone can tell me what the key dates are for each denomination, I can see if I have any of them and posts photos.

A complex problem, depending on rarity, condition, etc. Take the collection to a local coin dealer, not to sell them, but to find out if you have anything rare or unusual condition, mint errors, etc. Many of what you listed above are not silver, such as pennies, most nickels, etc. Time for you to spend some time educating yourself. If you don't want to spend that time, then check with your local coin collecting club to see if they have auctions...if they do, then offer the club 10% selling fee for auctioning them for you. You will still need a detailed inventory before turning them over for auction. You should, at the least, get close to actual silver value for your silver coins.

Back
Top Bottom