Another new to the sport purchase,, with a twist.

vxooxv

So I've been looking to execute my first purchase in the next week or two.

I'm a complete newbie so obviously looking for something newbie friendly if such a thing exists. The twist is, outside of land I'll probably be using this once a week at our local lake hanghout spot which is a sandbar in the middle of the lake (3-4 feet) of water, so it'll need to be waterproof. Most of finds at the lake with be recovering lost wedding rings while avoiding bottle tops etc.

All google searches lead back to the AT Pro or AT Max, perhaps there are others? While cost is a factor, i'd pay a little more for ease of use, accuracy and such.

I can get a 3yr old barely used AT Pro for 300 vs a 6month old MAX with wireless and the waterproof headphones and carry case for 750.

Any recommendations are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

That barely used AT Pro for $300 sounds really good. Does it come with waterproof headphones?

That barely used AT Pro for $300 sounds really good. Does it come with waterproof headphones?

Unfortunately no. Any variation to the Pro models over the past few years I should be concerned with?

I’ve been reading about the Simplex + and Equinox 800 via on here. So many options. Best all around water / land or dedicated machines?

You can get a new Simplex for about $350 with wireless headphones. Great detector and waterproof (headphones are not!) I've heard a lot of good things about the Garrett MD'ers too!

Go for the used at pro. It doesn't matter if the headphones are not water proof because your not going to be diving with them on anyway. Make sure it does have the correct headphones for it though.

Go for the used at pro. It doesn't matter if the headphones are not water proof because your not going to be diving with them on anyway. Make sure it does have the correct headphones for it though.

If I was going to detect in water 3 to 4 feet deep regularly, I would get waterproof headphones. Recovering targets and just walking in water that deep can easily create situations where headphones might decide to to not stay on your head. They are worth the expense.

What I’m hearing is either the used AT Pro or new Simplex. Are these the Ford and Chevy of MD’s? Just user preferences or is there clear advantages between the 2?

I know a guy that was a long time AT Pro user and bought a Simplex. He never touches the AT Pro any more. It's his backup now.

Get a new Simplex and get Nokta's waterproof headphones since you'll be in 3-4 feet of water.

That way both are covered under warranty.

Contact Craig at Show Me Treasure. You'll be amazed at his prices.

get the at pro i have had mine for 7-8 yrs
in the water no leaks then spend the 90.00 on the blue head phones
the machine has paid for it self 30 x over many many golds and silvers
now my 3030 ctx has yet to find me 1 gold

I am not a big fan of the ATPro but for $300 I would be all over that deal if it really is in good shape. The girls and guys I know that really know how to use them do very well. Plus at that price you will get your money back if you decide to sell it. They are very popular detectors.

I tried out a Simplex for two weeks just because I wanted to get an idea about its quality. It is by far the best entry level detector on the market today that is fully featured and fully waterproof. I did not plan to keep it but I was sorry to see it go. If I was a water hunter I would definitely wait for the carbon fiber lower shaft that Nokta Makro is making for it. The factory shaft on the one I had was way too flimsy and flexed too much.

Last edited:
If I was going to detect in water 3 to 4 feet deep regularly, I would get waterproof headphones. Recovering targets and just walking in water that deep can easily create situations where headphones might decide to to not stay on your head. They are worth the expense.

I am trying to save the guy some bucks. He can get better phones later. The regular headphones for the at pro would be sufficient for the tome being.

The At pro is a good detector but you really need headphones for it. It will work well in freshwater lakes.
I used mine at lake Tahoe. If you have black sand(magnetite) it will false on it.

I've dunked my land atpro headphones a few times and dry them out with the defroster on the way home no big deal and prefer them to the waterproof ones anyway for 300 bucks grab it

Thank you for all your advice! I pulled the trigger on the AT PRO and ultimately got it for 250. Everything looks brand new. I've been watching youTube as much as I can and realize I'll need to spend a bunch of hours to get used to it.

Anyone have any particular advice, tips, tricks and go to youTube channels I should pay attention to? Thanks again!

I run my Atp with iron audio off at times I turn it on to hear if a target is mostly iron.
I run it with sensitivity on max for depth unless it goes nuts from emi.
I have nothing notched off unless there's a bunch of pennies. Yesterday I notched them out and dimes cause I was sick of hearing them😁

Thank you for all your advice! I pulled the trigger on the AT PRO and ultimately got it for 250. Everything looks brand new. I've been watching youTube as much as I can and realize I'll need to spend a bunch of hours to get used to it.

Anyone have any particular advice, tips, tricks and go to youTube channels I should pay attention to? Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby,, congrats on getting a good deal on you Garrett!

Don't forget to run it in pro audio not standard!

Back
Top Bottom