Noobie alert

tomfl

I have never used any type of metal detector in my life. I do have a heavy tec back ground and often find myself on the bleeding edge with new toys. I have several things like quadcopters and ROVs which I swear are using beta software on their products. My interest in a metal detector stems from my owning a big catamaran I often cruise on for months at a time (as long as it is not hurricane season). Location is Florida, Florida Keys, Bahamas, Cuba during some administrations, and down island at times. Currently in Florida do the fun and games with COVID-19.

So the first must have for any metal detector is being water proof to say ten meters or so. I have a hookah on my boat and almost never go deeper than 33 feet (I do have certifications in Advanced Open Water, Search and Rescue, and Cave Diving) but the hookah allow almost unlimited diving with out needing to get SCUBA tanks refilled. There are also lots of cool crystal clear freshwater springs I frequent and would like to do searches there. Not to mention some old settlements and Indian mounds. The ability to search in salt water is very important but I would also like to search in fresh water and on dirt as well.

Bottom line is talk me out of getting a Fisher CZ-21 and advise about getting the 8in or 10in coil. I tend to jump in with both feet and understand that out of the box I will be taking it to local beaches to hunt for bottle tops and such to start and dealing with a learning curve that will take time to master.

I am not wedded to the CZ-21 and open to other suggestions. Feel free to correct any errors you think I have made.

The deepest I have used a detector in water is knee deep, and I don't intend to go much farther. With that said, I have spoken with a few people and the Fisher CZ-21 is a good product. Look into the Minelab Excalibur II and Tesoro Sand Shark as well. Good luck and welcome from San Jose, CA!

There are a group of Guys on Long Island NY who scuba dive and metal detect. I think their website is aquaexplors.com or something close to that.

Good Luck!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I have never used any type of metal detector in my life. I do have a heavy tec back ground and often find myself on the bleeding edge with new toys. I have.........

If you go through the Beach and Water Hunting discussion folder you'll find a few people doing deep salt water. You might note what they're using or send them a message.

Best to stay away from the Indian mounds.

The deepest I have used a detector in water is knee deep, and I don't intend to go much farther. With that said, I have spoken with a few people and the Fisher CZ-21 is a good product. Look into the Minelab Excalibur II and Tesoro Sand Shark as well. Good luck and welcome from San Jose, CA!

The Sand Shark is hundreds of dollars less than the CZ-21 and the Excalibur is hundreds of dollars more. The Excalibur seems to be at least equal, and maybe better than the CZ-21 while the Sand Shark does not seem to come close to the CZ-21.

I am not saying money does not matter and I would be willing to spring for the Excalibur II if I was convinced it was worth the extra almost $US500; but a lot of the youtube vids I have seen view them as equal or marginally better in great part due to the screen with numbers that definitely would help with differentiating different tones. On the other hand every penny I don't spend on a metal detector is a penny that goes into my cruising kitty and means another day or more on my boat; or more gas in the car to head to the beach.

Welcome to the forum. The Minelab Excalibur II would be easier to learn and use under water. IMHO. There is a dive shaft available for the Excal.
I’ve gotten quotes on the Excalibur for less than the retail price advertised.
Good luck!

I started with a tones only machine and due to my lousy hearing I had to add a meter to give me a number which helped ,me to learn the tones. I went with the Excalibur II for my water machine. Both machines have definitely reimbursed me for the moneys that I spent. I gave serious consideration to the CZ but for a number of reasons went with the Xcal. It can discriminate out iron and steel.

Bottom line is talk me out of getting a Fisher CZ-21 and advise about getting the 8in or 10in coil.

2 options CZ21 or Excal...

CZ is a beast - it's slightly heavy but can take a beating - 10 inch coil is a must to cover more sq ft - takes 4 9V batteries - be very careful to seal the compartment or the battery leads rust and break. Easy fix if you can get the quad battery holders. Also you need to remount the head to balance the machine.

Excalibur - great also but be gentle or you'll be mailing it in for repairs....

Hope this helps....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom