Lots of first's from one permission

kweis

Elite Member
Last few days started a new permission with the the following first finds: pair of 1917 SLQ's, 1819 Large Cent, 1864 2 cent piece, dandy button, and a 51' Washington quarter. Also found was a 1900 IHP and a badly worn Buffalo (no date). The SLQ's one was a type I and the other a type II. Will get pictures in a few days. Was stoked about the large cent and 2 cent piece. The two cent piece is the large motto version instead of the small unfortunately, but not complaining.

Last few days started a new permission with the the following first finds: pair of 1917 SLQ's, 1819 Large Cent, 1864 2 cent piece, dandy button, and a 51' Washington quarter. Also found was a 1900 IHP and a badly worn Buffalo (no date). The SLQ's one was a type I and the other a type II. Will get pictures in a few days. Was stoked about the large cent and 2 cent piece. The two cent piece is the large motto version instead of the small unfortunately, but not complaining.

Looking forward to the photos. That's a heck of a haul! What kind of property and how bad was the junk?

This was a house originally built around 1838. I believe it burned or was destroyed by a storm around 1890. The current farmhouse is from around 1890 but built in the original 1838 foundation. One chimney that served a cook fireplace on the basement in the original house was retained. I found the debris field from the original house in the front yard. That's where the large cent, two cent piece and dandy button were found. The rest where found elsewhere around the current house. At first I thought it had previously been hunted but after the two SLQ find I knew it hadn't been and stuff was there, I just had to grind it. The trash was typical pull tabs and aluminum pieces from when soffit work had been done on the house about 10 years ago and some grading had been done as well. The barn burned in 1881 and was documented by a local newspaper at that time. I researched the history of the house intensely so I knew the possibilities. Also I was caretaker of the property grounds at this site for four years prior which helped.;)

This was a house originally built around 1838. I believe it burned or was destroyed by a storm around 1890. The current farmhouse is from around 1890 but built in the original 1838 foundation. One chimney that served a cook fireplace on the basement in the original house was retained. I found the debris field from the original house in the front yard. That's where the large cent, two cent piece and dandy button were found. The rest where found elsewhere around the current house. At first I thought it had previously been hunted but after the two SLQ find I knew it hadn't been and stuff was there, I just had to grind it. The trash was typical pull tabs and aluminum pieces from when soffit work had been done on the house about 10 years ago and some grading had been done as well. The barn burned in 1881 and was documented by a local newspaper at that time. I researched the history of the house intensely so I knew the possibilities. Also I was caretaker of the property grounds at this site for four years prior which helped.;)

Wow! A great site, obviously! That's pretty interesting.

Here's some pics finally. None on the others (IHP's and SLQ's) as I had already labeled where they came from. Nothing special about them anyways I guess.

Attachments

• 100_1985.jpg
    100_1985.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 100_1986.jpg
    100_1986.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 264
  • 100_1988.jpg
    100_1988.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_1989.jpg
    100_1989.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 252
The two cent piece had several areas of oxidized concretions that I picked off but stilled turned out well. I've found that doing this though a lot of times holes where the oxidation have eaten the copper away. Funny though you can have areas like that and other areas on the same coin no oxidation at all.

Really nice finds - sounds like an amazing permission that may keep giving more treasure for future finds

Back
Top Bottom