AT-Pro Questions

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Just wanted to ask in case Kevin doesn't. Because I have the E-Trac and have been hitting silver, my friend Kevin took the plunge and bought himself a new AT-Pro from Phil. Just got it and he played with it today.

We see two problems with it and wanted to know if we are right. First of all absolutely no volume control. We couldn't find any information in the book or in the menu's if you could make it louder or softer WITHOUT headphones.

Second, This machine doesn't seem to have a back-light. Are we correct on that also? Seems strange a machine at that price is missing an important feature for night hunting.

Thanks for any responses from AT-Pro users.

You're correct on both counts no back light and the volume control is on the headphones .

They have an adapter you can buy where you can use ear buds. Practice running pro zero. It will hammer down on some gold chains a CZ21 will never see. If I had some fresh water to hunt I'd probably keep mine. Have to hang up hunting salt dry sand. Only place I use my AT pro.

They have an adapter you can buy where you can use ear buds. Practice running pro zero. It will hammer down on some gold chains a CZ21 will never see. If I had some fresh water to hunt I'd probably keep mine. Have to hang up hunting salt dry sand. Only place I use my AT pro.

We are playing on land now. Water is too cold for both of us. He had an older Garrett and I was killing the silver and deeper coins and his machine couldn't even detect them. I am sure he will try the At-Pro in the water next spring.

Thanks for the reply's. Does Garrett listen to input?? A BACK-LIGHT should be EASY and CHEEP!!!!!

It is hard to believe that they can't light up the screen:mad:
When I'm out at night, I use a litle LED headlight.
After awhile, once you learn the sounds, you won't need the screen tho'

I don't think the ATP will see those really deep coins your etrac does.. You said on the other post 10-12 on a merc.. I don't think the ATP would hit a merc at 11" at least with the small coil...

<*)))>{

I don't think the ATP will see those really deep coins your etrac does.. You said on the other post 10-12 on a merc.. I don't think the ATP would hit a merc at 11" at least with the small coil...

<*)))>{

It won't here. But our soil dries out 3 days after a rain.

Scuba, as someone else said, learn to listen to the tones. Even my CTX light on the beach at night I only cut on if I have to. Been approached by some real wierdos as soon as they see the light. Only thing I really look at is possible bottle cap with a lit screen:lol:

<*)))>{

Ice,

I don't carry a tape measure but I do know that dime was as deep as the handle of my digger and I have yet to measure it! I am super impressed with the depth of this critter. I am hitting wheat cents that no machine has been able to find in this hunted out place. The deep silver is also unbelievable. I will measure my digger tomorrow and see how long it is.

It won't here. But our soil dries out 3 days after a rain.

Scuba, as someone else said, learn to listen to the tones. Even my CTX light on the beach at night I only cut on if I have to. Been approached by some real wierdos as soon as they see the light. Only thing I really look at is possible bottle cap with a lit screen:lol:

Probably right. I am getting used to the tones of my E-Trac, Kevin will just have to learn the tones of his new toy.

Thanks for the replies. I still think Garrett needs to light it up!!

Probably right. I am getting used to the tones of my E-Trac, Kevin will just have to learn the tones of his new toy.

Thanks for the replies. I still think Garrett needs to light it up!!

Hullguitars made a light for the screen. But it will void the warranty:shock:

I agree that it needs a backlight. I'm looking at modifying a book lamp or something similar to attach to the top so I have a light that I can attach with velcro.

For me, the only bad thing about not having a volume control is that if you aren't using headphones the tones are not very loud at all. I also wish it could be turned up.

all that aside, it is a fine machine and it is true that you just learn to listen to the tones.

itsaring: do you have a link for the Hullguitars mod?

The last couple seasons I have used a $8 book light from target... I just used Velcro and stuck it on top of the box as to where it shined down on the screen...

<*)))>{

i've beach hunted in the dark on numerous occasions and i gotta say it's a great way to learn the sounds of the machine rather than looking at numbers. i will admit when it's light out i do look at the numbers so i can get my brain to associate the numbers with the sounds that i'm hearing.

if anything, i'd like to see a curved screen on the At so a person doesn't get the reflected glare of the sun in the eyes. :mad:

With the percentage of people who will ever need a backlight being pretty low its probably just good business sense to leave it out and keep cost as low as possible. The same might be said for volume control as well , it would be nice to have and more people would find it useful but in the long run you would likely find a higher price tag on a machine with these features. Id rather use some other type of light if needed anyway so that the detector batteries last longer , yep....you need more batteries for the optional light source too but when they get low it dont affect the function of the detector.

I hunt almost exclusively at night and don't feel the need for backlighting.
You need a headlamp anyway so why use up both sets of batteries.

Agree that Garrett hit a homer with the pricing/features.

BTW still using the same 2 sets of rechargeables after 2.3 years.

Pps. Scuba you've got me lookin at ETrac pricing :D

Back
Top Bottom