Plug cutting...

Opie

So I've watched a ton of videos on plug cutting to do the least damage possible when in a public area...but quite frankly, they are not working here in sunny Florida! Does anyone have any advice and plug cutting in dried up grass with a hard pack sand soil mixture?

Since everything is so dry no matter how nice a plug I cut as soon as the grass is lifted 95% of the dirt falls back into the hole leaving a patch of grass and roots with no soil. Then I chisel :yes: the soil out to retrieve the find and go to replant the grass and it is next to impossible because it has fallen apart so badly.

Now if the entire area was a dead wasteland this wouldn't be a problem, but this is in areas that are still somewhat green with bahia grass (grows well in sandy enviroments, very drought tolerant). Once I disturb the grass it dries up and dies and leaves an obvious marker as to where I've been.

Luckily I have been doing this on a site where the owner doesn't mind as the land will soon be a new church. But since I want to start searching the local parks, school yards, etc that have the same type of sod and soil composition I want to make sure I am not leaving damage behind. Any tips from the dry-climate members?

I'm not a dry climate member, but I'll offer my two cents. Up here in New England, I only hunt lawns in the spring and fall when the ground is moist. Once the ground gets dried up in the summer months, it's very hard to cut good plugs as the root structure(s) of the grass are usually dried up (I hunt cellar holes in the summer).

I read on here somewher to carry a bottle of water with you and to wet the grass when you go to replace the plug. , I have not tried this yet but have a bottle of water in my pack for the next time I go

It is the sand!!

When I was in Florida I just planted the strings of sod back into the ground the best I can. You have to do micro surgery on the spot and put the strings of sod back into the ground as best as you can.

It probably wouldn't matter if the soil were moist, you would still have the problem in very sandy soils.

Cut a V and flip what you can out, then flip it back at least it is still attached on one side then bury the strings of sod in the soil and get them to stick. Try to pinpoint better, and make smaller holes then the damage will be small.

It is still just grass and soil, and with a little patience it can be put back in place to where it no noticeable to someone just walking up, it just takes a little work.

I'm running into the same problem in Texas. The ground is dry and the grass isn't doing well. At the parks I've been just looking for surface stuff and not digging unless the target is away from anything that might not look good after refilling. Looks like I'll be doing more lake hunts untill we get some rain.

I hear what you are saying. In some areas that are sod with bermuda and the soil is sandy I can have that happen too. Generally it will happen @ the sports fields. I try not to cut a plug unless I have to. I'll try to notch a V then pop out the target. Even when I dig a flap the soil all falls out. I try to stuff all the grass back into the hole the best I can and rake to loose soil into place. Once it rains or gets watered it will fix itself.

If I need to cut a plug I will cut it deeper than I feel need. Thiway I can set the plug aside after scanning then tamp it back into the hole.

Flap

Heres My two cents:laughing:

I use my Lesche or one of two shovels: flat blade or mini spade depends where I'm at

I cut a flap U or V - depends on depth

*I try to use the blade and roll over as much of the grass as possible with the blade helping to stabilize the grass flap.

Then I go for it. Putting the dirt on a clothe etc.

A good pinpointer can save a lot of digging by using it to locate shallow targets marked first by your MD. It is amazing how many findings are shallower than you think.

Ill "pop" what I can...no holes...but
I feel bad sometimes when its really dry..no matter what I do, the plug just falls apart or disintegrates. I do my best, but...well..it is what it is.

I understand your dilemma and I just do the best I can and hope that the afternoon shower comes by and wipes away my little mess.

I would invest in the DetectorPro Pistol Probe. The thing can detect a target 5 inches in the ground. It makes probing easy. Very narrrow slots and holes.

So I've watched a ton of videos on plug cutting to do the least damage possible when in a public area...but quite frankly, they are not working here in sunny Florida! Does anyone have any advice and plug cutting in dried up grass with a hard pack sand soil mixture?

Since everything is so dry no matter how nice a plug I cut as soon as the grass is lifted 95% of the dirt falls back into the hole leaving a patch of grass and roots with no soil. Then I chisel :yes: the soil out to retrieve the find and go to replant the grass and it is next to impossible because it has fallen apart so badly.

Now if the entire area was a dead wasteland this wouldn't be a problem, but this is in areas that are still somewhat green with bahia grass (grows well in sandy enviroments, very drought tolerant). Once I disturb the grass it dries up and dies and leaves an obvious marker as to where I've been.

Luckily I have been doing this on a site where the owner doesn't mind as the land will soon be a new church. But since I want to start searching the local parks, school yards, etc that have the same type of sod and soil composition I want to make sure I am not leaving damage behind. Any tips from the dry-climate members?

The other option could be to get a probe...the wooden handled steel ice pick looking probe and learn to get the finds the old way...this wont disturb the topsoil and dry dirt might even help you out, the thickened tip will let you drag the coins out....maybe that will help

In dry soil, probing works the best, all the time. Takes some practice, but once you get it you'll never leave a trace. Here is a good page to read: http://www.tesoro.com/info/faq/recovery/

Good link, thanks. Not many, but some of my backyard plugs and flaps are already yellow spots. (these were the result of my first week of detecting and recovery practice)

My preference is PP - probe - pop out with lever type tool.
Best Pop-out tool I have seen is Tabdog's design shown in this thread;
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tool-shed/221214-design-your-own-digger.html

I use 1/8" fiberglass rod DIY probes. They make a great pointer when laid on the ground to help spot when pinpointing. And then a nice non-metalic probe to zero in on the treasure.

When the ground gets harder around here, sometime in late July-August, I plan to make a probe out of brass rod and small wooden drawer handle to push on.

HH :boat:

I don't know if this would work but back when I was a teenager I worked for my parents. We managed a golf course. We had to change the cups in the greens at least once a week. They make a tool that you cut the sod about three inches and kick the plug out of the tool. It is ready to go back in the old hole and you can't even tell you were there. The green has to be flat when you're done. I looked on the web and they sell sod plug cutters. I do not know if they are the same thing. All I know is when your done the hole is perfect. I am lookng to get into metal detecting this fall when it cools off. So this is just an idea I am throwing out there. I know it works on the golf course. I am not sure it applies to metal detecting. There is a lot of knowledge on this site. Give me your opinion.

I use my pin pointer and center up the target and then use my pocketknife to cut and dig a mini-flap. When it is dry they never hold together anyhow, but the hole is like what the squirrels dig and is easier to put the separated grass back into. Then you can add a little water.

Back
Top Bottom