Getting another Ctx3030

WyoTom

Elite Member
I came across a deal that’s to good to pass up! As much as I like the Equinox, I miss the information that the Ctx has. Especially the rock solid ID and the digital depth readout. I feel that in my soil the Ctx was a tad deeper on silver. I do feel like I dig more aluminum junk with the Equinox but that’s just part of it I guess. With the Ctx you can do a little more selective digging. I am still keeping the Equinox 800 and I think this will be a killer combo!

I came across a deal that’s to good to pass up! As much as I like the Equinox, I miss the information that the Ctx has. Especially the rock solid ID and the digital depth readout. I feel that in my soil the Ctx was a tad deeper on silver. I do feel like I dig more aluminum junk with the Equinox but that’s just part of it I guess. With the Ctx you can do a little more selective digging. I am still keeping the Equinox 800 and I think this will be a killer combo!

Inquiring minds want to know: how good of a deal?

I love my CTX for all the reasons you mentioned and I’ll always own one unless Minelab eventually releases an upgrade.

I love my Equinox too though. It’s my go-to machine for sifting through thick iron or trash. The Nox and CTX really are an excellent combo if you can own multiple detectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t have a good enough experience with the 800 to warrant keeping it, but that’s NOT saying it’s not a very good machine. I’m the kind of hunter who wants to know about the target BEFORE I dig it up, and the 800 was more of a “dig it up and see” affair for ME. Digging less nonsense on the front end allows me to spend more time looking for those kinds of signals instead of getting a “certain amount” of information and that’s all I’m getting before I’m forced to dig a hole. Less up and down, less baloney in the pouch. That’s in my area with my dirt and my time and my method and....(long disclaimer).....
Bottom line...use what works for you. Good to see you’re “backing the truck up” Tom.:cool3:

I love my CTX for all the reasons you mentioned and I’ll always own one unless Minelab eventually releases an upgrade.

I love my Equinox too though. It’s my go-to machine for sifting through thick iron or trash. The Nox and CTX really are an excellent combo if you can own multiple detectors.

I have heard you say it before “There is something special about the Ctx and the Fbs2” I totally agree and think the Ctx and Equinox will compliment each other nicely.

I didn’t have a good enough experience with the 800 to warrant keeping it, but that’s NOT saying it’s not a very good machine. I’m the kind of hunter who wants to know about the target BEFORE I dig it up, and the 800 was more of a “dig it up and see” affair for ME. Digging less nonsense on the front end allows me to spend more time looking for those kinds of signals instead of getting a “certain amount” of information and that’s all I’m getting before I’m forced to dig a hole. Less up and down, less baloney in the pouch. That’s in my area with my dirt and my time and my method and....(long disclaimer).....
Bottom line...use what works for you. Good to see you’re “backing the truck up” Tom.:cool3:
Yep, exactly how I feel as well Kevin! Less up and down! My legs and back will appreciate that a lot! Ha lol happy hunting and you need to post more videos!!

In speaking of the CTX, does anyone envision a replacement/upgrade coming from Minelab in the near to midterm future. I've wanted one for awhile, but the $2,500 price-tag is a lot to swallow if there's something else in the works. It seems to me that they could upgrade the processor to improve the "slow" response without changing the form factor, but I've been out of electrical engineering long enough to be obsolete, so perhaps it's not that simple. Also, I see the trend is to make a more inexpensive machine and sell many as opposed to high end machine and sell a few. It's the opposite with sailboats (I sail...) where there are few low-end boats these days and quite a few high-end (read: high profit margin) models for sale (sail?). First world problems, I suppose...

In speaking of the CTX, does anyone envision a replacement/upgrade coming from Minelab in the near to midterm future. I've wanted one for awhile, but the $2,500 price-tag is a lot to swallow if there's something else in the works. It seems to me that they could upgrade the processor to improve the "slow" response without changing the form factor, but I've been out of electrical engineering long enough to be obsolete, so perhaps it's not that simple. Also, I see the trend is to make a more inexpensive machine and sell many as opposed to high end machine and sell a few. It's the opposite with sailboats (I sail...) where there are few low-end boats these days and quite a few high-end (read: high profit margin) models for sale (sail?). First world problems, I suppose...

I do!

Imagine a "CTX 4040" that's basically the weight and speed of an Equinox 800, but the discrimination ability of the CTX 3030.

I have no doubt a CTX or Etrac will give you more information than an Equinox, but would hardly call an Equinox a beep and dig machine. Actually depending on the place and how thick the nonferrous aluminum junk is I feel pretty confident on what my Equinox tells me.

Lots of times I swing over my buddies targets found with his Etrac and he swings over mine. I'm pretty good at calling the coin type or if it's junk. Certain Memorial pennies can get awful close to ringing up like a dime on the Equinox in Park2. Therefore they can be problematic. Most of the time my call is correct, but if they are deep I can't take the chance. Also concerning nickels I have yet to dig a nickel that rang up above 13. If I am centered over a target and a 14 pops up I have complete confidence it's not a nickel. Actually if the suspect nickel is deep the numbers tend to skew downward not up. Lots of deep V's have been dug in 10-11-12 range.

There are certain targets that can easily fool both the Etrac and Equinox. Not sure about the CTX cause my buddy just does not swing his much. He prefers the Etrac for general purpose hunting. I have an Etrac with two extra coils besides the stock coil and still the Equinox 800 is my go to machine. It's weird I really don't want to get the Etrac out unless it's like a really trash free yard which is not where tons of info is really even needed.

Now if the Etrac weighed as much as the Nox and was just as fast with the same ferrous-nonferrous info I would probably for sure be swinging the Etrac

I do agree that in the end a person should use what they have the most confidence in and enjoy using the most.

Last edited:
I’ve had my ctx since 2013 and wouldn’t sell her for nothing!! I use the ctx at parks and house sites and the nox at field sites

I have heard you say it before “There is something special about the Ctx and the Fbs2”

Absolutely. Nothing gets my blood pumping more than when I'm creeping along with the 3030 and get that unmistakable "chirp-thunk" sound along with a depth reading of 7+ inches. Glance down and see 12-45 to 12-47 on the screen.. You know you have old silver under the coil. Love it!

Congrats on getting another CTX! :cheers:

The only reason I've considered giving up the etrac for a nox is because of weight. But I just use the sling and it's not bad. The ID at depth with the FBS models is just really good. Along with the accurate depth meter. Not that the Nox isn't a great machine too, but I just really enjoy the Etrac for coin shooting.

I'd love for Minelab to make a lighter and improved Etrac. There isn't even much I'd need for improvements. Just rain proof. Then other things that would be nice is better screen, clock, and faster recovery if it wouldn't sacrifice depth/ID.
I feel like that's something a lot of people have wanted, is a lighter and better balanced Etrac.

The only reason I've considered giving up the etrac for a nox is because of weight. But I just use the sling and it's not bad. The ID at depth with the FBS models is just really good. Along with the accurate depth meter. Not that the Nox isn't a great machine too, but I just really enjoy the Etrac for coin shooting.

I'd love for Minelab to make a lighter and improved Etrac. There isn't even much I'd need for improvements. Just rain proof. Then other things that would be nice is better screen, clock, and faster recovery if it wouldn't sacrifice depth/ID.
I feel like that's something a lot of people have wanted, is a lighter and better balanced Etrac.

Grab an untimate 13 coil, will greatly lmprove balance and get you more depth.

Also concerning nickels I have yet to dig a nickel that rang up above 13. If I am centered over a target and a 14 pops up I have complete confidence it's not a nickel. Actually if the suspect nickel is deep the numbers tend to skew downward not up. Lots of deep V's have been dug in 10-11-12 range.

War nickels almost always ring higher than 13, at least for me they do.

War nickels almost always ring higher than 13, at least for me they do.

I have only found four war nickels in about 3.5 years of hunting. They all ring up 12-13 and no higher in Park2 on the my Nox 800. Maybe that is why I have only found 4, but every time I dig a 13-14 it's not a nickel. If some do ring higher it's not worth it to me to dig pull tabs. Now if I have decent depth sometimes I chance it. Although as I mentioned I have yet to dig a nickel that rang up higher than 13 in Park2 in my dirt.

Also like I said before if Minelab comes out with a lighter Etrac or CTX type machine that comes in weight wise close to a Equinox I would be all over it. Actually I am hoping they do come out with a new upper end detector soon. I'm growing tired of all the manufactures concentrating on low cost detectors.

A lot of the war nickels i have dug come in at 12-23 ish on my ctx. I have probably missed a lot of them cause i used to not dig those numbers,,,, until i decided to test some i had found with other machines because i wondered why i never found any with ctx.

Okay I am going to try to borrow some war nickels other than what I have to test. Cause all mine ring up 12-13 in Park2. Until I see one ring up higher than 13 myself I am skeptical.

Back
Top Bottom