Any guesses?

NEA Farmer

No idea what it was used for. Found it at an old home site.

I first thought it was a cannon ball that was cut down and used for a paperweight, but knew it wasn’t lead. Took it to a local coin shock and he says it’s at very minimum 80% silver. 12 ounces in weight.

Attachments

• 7F062B26-3B9A-4261-8672-0BFF1E4CDFB7.jpg
    7F062B26-3B9A-4261-8672-0BFF1E4CDFB7.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 763
Nice!!! No clue, but that's 10 ounces of pure silver, right???? I'd take that any day..... ;)

Tumbaga bar? Sorry for the spelling, but that REALLY reminds me of one, either that or a more recent silver melt project.

Last edited:
That is a hammered silver paperweight used by Spanish Explorers to weigh down maps during their journeys. Based on the size and approximate weight, this is most likely belonging to, or have been lost by the Spanish Explorer Hernando de Soto, who explored the region in 1541, when he encountered the Casqui tribe in NE Arkansas. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casqui)

What is more likely is that the paperweight was traded with the tribe for goods, as it's one of those "things" that looks impressive when you're in court, but frankly is nothing more than a rock holding a map edge (of which there are plenty around, pretty much everywhere you go). It would have been quite something to know what he traded it for.

What you have is an EPIC find, there, my friend. Similar examples have sold upwards of $11,000, especially in that condition.

While Hernando de Soto explored in Arkansas in 1541, and met with the Casqui tribe at that time, in 2017, a guy named Skippy completely used that tale to spin a yarn on a forum pretending he knew what he was talking about. Basically, I just made up the above story. You are welcome for the experience, you no doubt had, while enjoying the history lesson. :) It is very much like finding a gold plated ring, btw. Awesome for a moment... The difference is, you still have a 12 ounce hunk of silver, even though I made up the story, and have no clue what that is.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :)
:yes:
We're pretty friendly, here. And some of us are funny, too. :)
Cheers!

Skippy

No idea what it was used for. Found it at an old home site.

I first thought it was a cannon ball that was cut down and used for a paperweight, but knew it wasn’t lead. Took it to a local coin shock and he says it’s at very minimum 80% silver. 12 ounces in weight.

A) Half finished art project.
B) Silver ingot that the owner had hacked pieces off of to pay for goods.
c) Original De Soto map weight.
D) None of the above.

BCD

Looks like silver was melted down into a mold. Not professionally done hence the marks on the bottom. Just a guess

Yeah..this is what it looks like to me as well...Almost can see what appears to be a chain in there...like somebody melted down a load of silver finds and then pounded them to tighten it up and compress it a little? It is Super Cool!

What's a coin shock? ...and how does he know it's at least 80% silver? It sure looks like silver. It also looks homemade. Not factory, and not skilled artisan. My guess: It was a family's life savings; invested in silver, melted into a smelting pot, then hammered into ugly, tarnished black, and used a a doorstop, for the perfect disguise from potential thievery. Darn kids threw it a the dog or something; losing it in the yard...

What's a coin shock? ...and how does he know it's at least 80% silver? It sure looks like silver. It also looks homemade. Not factory, and not skilled artisan. My guess: It was a family's life savings; invested in silver, melted into a smelting pot, then hammered into ugly, tarnished black, and used a a doorstop, for the perfect disguise from potential thievery. Darn kids threw it a the dog or something; losing it in the yard...

Coin shop. Smart phones are dumb sometimes. 😂😂

He scratched it on his test block and applied the solution and watched it turn blue. He said given his decades of experience, that shade of blue is upwards of 85% silver, possibly .925.

Yeah..this is what it looks like to me as well...Almost can see what appears to be a chain in there...like somebody melted down a load of silver finds and then pounded them to tighten it up and compress it a little? It is Super Cool!

does that look like the outline of a spoon that interrupts the chain?

Back
Top Bottom