Landed in GA 20 years later, advice please

HunterGA

I am back to metal detecting after 20 years and this time the ground and technology is different. Here in GA the ground is heavily mineralized and there seems to be so many choices in detectors. I have a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro that was given to me, I want to make sure I have the right detector for my goals. Hunting relics, coins and jewellery all around Georgia. What are the best detectors out that suit that criteria for 500 to 600 dollars? I also have a garret pin pointer that has already been exceedingly handy, something I didn't have 20 years ago. I appreciate all the feedback I can get as it's a bit daunting with all the options out there right now.

Well, it will be mentioned, I may as well be the first, in your price range I would opt for a garrett at pro with 5x8 coil to help with separation, run in pro zero and get er dug!

Not that I would consider myself a professional at metal detecting yet but I too live in GA and the Garrett AT Pro works great for me.

Thank you! What sort of areas in GA do you hunt with it? Would a specific coil help make it more effective? How about the multi frequency detectors like the Depar? Do they offer more flexibility in this area?

Thank you! What sort of areas in GA do you hunt with it? Would a specific coil help make it more effective? How about the multi frequency detectors like the Depar? Do they offer more flexibility in this area?

Read my reply...answers your coil questions lol

Here in Alabama where we also have that red dirt and even the black dirt is still mineralized I hunt with a couple of guys.
Two have AT Pros, one also finds a lot with the DEUS, another has an F75 and I use an F70...now rebranded as a $400 Patriot.

We all seem to do pretty good in this devil dirt.

DD coils seem to work the best here.

Last edited:
...How about the multi frequency (MF) detectors ... Do they offer more flexibility in this area?

Absolutely! Single frequency detectors have made many advancements in software to help compensate for mineralized conditions, but they are still single frequency machines that can't stablize like a multi-frequency machine. Here is the scenario you will probably encounter.....

You buy a reputable single frequency machine like the ATP, Racer, Deus or F70. It may work perfect in a new subdivision that has fresh top soil, stable soil, so you set out for your first adventure to find relics. You travel a few hours and are now in your prime location to begin the hunt. You hear beeps, but there are no targets. You ground balance the machine and the false signals seem to go away but a short distance later you encounter it again. (this repeats over and over). To avoid that nonsense, you decrease the sensitivity and now the false signals aren't happening as frequently but they are still happening. You test a planted target to make sure the detector is tuned and OH SNAP, you realize your max depth went from 10" down to 6". ARggh, you cuss at the machine. You post a few rants on the forum, try some suggestions and have the same result. Eventually you stumble onto the forum's beach section where folks deal with mineralization and conductive salt water every day. There, the beach section folks console you and suggest trading it for a machine specifically designed for those unstable ground conditions..... which you trade in your machine and try again, but this time find success!

-OR-

On the other hand, if you had bought an Explorer, E-trac, Equinox, CZ, DFX, (or any other MF-VLF) you would have turned on your machine and swung confidently knowing that if it beeped, it was an honest signal. You knew that as you swung you were still getting great depth. You'd also feel great knowing that if you ever went to a salt water beach, your MF detector would be equally stable on the conductive wet salt water sand that again plagues so many single frequency VLFs.

Visit this link for a list of multi-frequency machines ... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248905

Thanks for all the great information. I get the ground mineralization variations changing the efficiency. When I worked in nuclear radio we had to compare background radiation (which varies depending upon composition) to hot spots to qualify a hit (something that needed remediation). Os there a hood multi frequency detector suited to relics for under 1000? As with other hobbies it generally pays not to buy several not quite suited tools for less money only to purchase the "right " tool later on. This community is great!

Thanks for all the great information. I get the ground mineralization variations changing the efficiency. When I worked in nuclear radio we had to compare background radiation (which varies depending upon composition) to hot spots to qualify a hit (something that needed remediation). Os there a hood multi frequency detector suited to relics for under 1000? As with other hobbies it generally pays not to buy several not quite suited tools for less money only to purchase the "right " tool later on. This community is great!

Minelab has quite the reputation for manufacturing competant MF-VLF detectors. The Safari, E-trac and CTX are great machines but a few months ago they released a new series called the Equinox. There are two models ($650 / 800) which feature fast processors, light weight design, and a new style of multi-frequency tech. Unless you bought the more expensive CTX, I can't think of a better machine.

If you are going the pre-owned route, you have even more options. Minelab has the Explorer, Sovereign, Excallibur, Quattro and plenty of used Safari's, E-tracs, and CTXs. White's has the DFX. Fisher has the CZ5, 6, 7, 70, 20, and 21. The cost of used machines vary and have seen them anywhere from $200-600. Considering the cost of a new equinox, and the fact that it is warranteed, it makes more sense to buy new.

Trying to decide between a safari or an etrac. It seems a single frequency detector isn't well suited to Georgia. Between those two am I really going to see much difference in relic and coin hunting?

Got a Safari and a f75 on the way, and some accessories. Now to see how they do out here. Thankfully I have half an old GA town to hunt on private land, will have to see what turns up :)

Got a Safari and a f75 on the way, and some accessories. Now to see how they do out here. Thankfully I have half an old GA town to hunt on private land, will have to see what turns up :)

Congrats on the new equipment, best of luck!

GA Clay

I am back to metal detecting after 20 years and this time the ground and technology is different. Here in GA the ground is heavily mineralized and there seems to be so many choices in detectors. I have a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro that was given to me, I want to make sure I have the right detector for my goals. Hunting relics, coins and jewellery all around Georgia. What are the best detectors out that suit that criteria for 500 to 600 dollars? I also have a garret pin pointer that has already been exceedingly handy, something I didn't have 20 years ago. I appreciate all the feedback I can get as it's a bit daunting with all the options out there right now.

AT-Pro
Best selling Detector
dennis

Back
Top Bottom