Who is the person to contact at the County/City Level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I've found a spot that I'd like to detect. Older section of a county near me that has some tasty looking curb strips. What is the title of the person who usually knows the regulations around detecting. If anyone in Georgia happens to know Hall County's rules and can pass them along, that would be great.

Do you know who controls the land if it is an unincorporated town?

BCD

Why do you have to contact anyone? If you're going to them to find out law, then can't you look up said laws for yourself?

I would think the County Manager's office should be able to tell you something, if you think it necessary to ask. I tend to agree with Tom in CA, they are going to have to look it up (if there is anything), so why don't you look it up. If they look and don't find anything that refers directly to metal detecting, they are probably going to tell you NO !

The difference between them and me is that they know how to look up the local laws where as i have no idea where to look.

BCD.

Sure, just go for it. If they didn't want you metal detecting, they would have signs posted every where. Besides, the worst that could happen, is you have a discussion with a civil servant about rights and entitlements, have to pack it up, and leave. Then just go back after dark, when there is no one around. Nobody there, nobody cares... And as an added bonus of sneaking around, is your choice on digging tools, and filling holes, since there is nobody there, no on is going to care how sloppy and lazy you are. They didn't see you, specifically, so you didn't do nothing... <SARCASM, for the slow witted>

Just because you can't find a specific law, that mentions metal detecting, doesn't mean all is good, there is still the recovery and taking it with you part of the hobby. I'd rather know it's going to be hassle free, and hunt in peace, rather than stand around, making excuses, apologies, have find some place else to hunt on the fly, or just go home. Sure, it's just time, but I'd rather enjoy it. Worst that would likely happen, is a simple verbal warning, but I'd still ask first. Then again, when I'm over at the neighbor's, I still ask, before grabbing a beer out of his fridge. He's never told me 'No', but it's out of respect and courtesy.

.... how to look up the local laws where as i have no idea where to look....

Have you looked to see (google is your friend) if the entities you are heading to, have their municipal codes, laws, ordinances, charter, etc... on-line ? If so, then they usually have a word search function there. So type in "metal", "detectors", "detecting", etc... and see if anything pops up (versus if it's silent on the subject, hence not prohibited).

Or if you really can't figure that out, and really really feel the need to talk to a live person, here's an alternative:

When you talk to the person at the front desk, instead of asking: "Hi. Can I metal detect?" (or some variation thereof which puts you at their whimsical mood), you ask in the following fashion:

"Hi. Where can the public avail themselves of all the municipal codes, ordinances, laws, etc...?". If they say "what is it that you needed to know?", you stick to your guns and say: ".... to know where this exists in form viewable to the public". They will either give you a link, or direct you to where it exists in binder form at city hall or the library, etc......

.... Just because you can't find a specific law, that mentions metal detecting, doesn't mean all is good . ....

Sure. Because afterall, you will "dig". Hence perhaps falling afoul of "alter", "deface", "destroy", and "molest", right ? (they may in fact morph your "pressing question" to fall afoul of those things afterall, sure).

So approach them and ask in the following fashion:

"Hi. Can I please alter, deface, destroy, and dig in the park? For my own personal enrichment at the city's expense. And I may disturb indian bones. But not to worry, as I'll be sure to put them back how I found them".

Then sit back and watch the "yes's" roll in. Afterall, you wouldn't want to be less than forthcoming, or "mince words" would you? Afterall, you want to be "hassle free" and "enjoy it", right ? :laughing:

Let's look at a couple of case and point for you. Case #1, I checked with City of Buford, found the guy and he was easily able to answer my questions. Said that he gets the same questions about 4 or 5 times a month. Therefore, there is someone in city/county government who know EXACTLY what the law is and there is no guess work or well, my search for Metal Detector found nothing I must be good. Second case, I was informed by a person at a Gwinnett County park that they take the boiler plate section about not defacing property to include digging while metal detecting. In both cases, they were well aware of the law and how they interpret it. I may be begging for a no for asking but I'd rather know going in than get a ticket or worse yet my equipment taken from me.

As a side note, I did check the Hall County ordinances and no mention of Metal Detecting, but that really means nothing. I'd rather know for sure and not find out with an officer of the law breathing down my neck.

When I started, I just asked a cop. He said stay off private property without permission and I would be fine. So far, he has been right.

Buford-city-dawg, I understand where you're coming from. And I understand the safety feeling of having been given a green light by someone at a city or county hall. But consider :

.... found the guy and he was easily able to answer my questions....

If you get a "yes", you think "It's a good thing I asked, because now I can detect with no worries". If you got a "no", you'd be thinking: "It's a good thing I asked, lest I could have been arrested". So either way, (whether a "yes" or a "no") the conclusion is the same: That asking, therefore, was a necessary step.

But what other alternative answer could they have given you ? Do you think they'd have said : "Gee that's a funny question. Why are you asking me ? If it's not prohibited, then you don't need our green light". Nope. Authority never answers like that. They bestow on you their princely "no" or "yes". Because .... well ... you asked. So therefore a "yes" or a "no", to me, doesn't imply that asking was a necessary prerequisite.

..... they take the boiler plate section about not defacing property to include digging while metal detecting. In both cases, they were well aware of the law and how they interpret it......

But that might only re-inforce what I'm saying: That this person (who decided now, or prior) possibly only ever did so, BECAUSE you (or persons before you too) came in asking for their blessing/approval ? Ie.: This could merely be the classic case of "no one cared, until you asked" type scenario.

So far from being proof that they were "well aware of the law and interpretation", to me that simply means that someone put it in their lap as a "pressing issue" and you got the "easy answer". Perhaps by a person who'd have never have given the matter a moment's thought before this matter crossed their desk for their approval.

...I'd rather know going in than get a ticket or worse yet my equipment taken from me.......

You are not going to "get a ticket" or "have your equipment taken" for md'ing in an innocuous park where no rule/law exists forbidding it. If you can cite any example of that happening, please let us know.

.... I did check the Hall County ordinances and no mention of Metal Detecting, but that really means nothing.......

I agree that the lack of a "no detecting" rule, does NOT mean that people will "roll out the red carpets" for you. And you're right that even in the absence of specific prohibition, that someone can still gripe . By saying you're "defacing" or "harming earthworms" or whatever.

But this still doesn't solve the problem that thinking you can "head this off at the pass", can actually simply become a self-fulfilling cycle.

When I started, I just asked a cop. He said stay off private property without permission and I would be fine. So far, he has been right.

There's been posts of guys who got green lights like this (either small talk with a cop, or written go-ahead from city hall etc...). Yet later on, when accosted in the field (by a different cop, or irate gardener), the md'r proudly whips out his permission to cite.

The griper gets on his phone, calls to city hall and says "but he's tearing the place up !" (which isn't true, of course). Then guess what happens to your permission ? :mad:

There's been posts of guys who got green lights like this (either small talk with a cop, or written go-ahead from city hall etc...). Yet later on, when accosted in the field (by a different cop, or irate gardener), the md'r proudly whips out his permission to cite.

The griper gets on his phone, calls to city hall and says "but he's tearing the place up !" (which isn't true, of course). Then guess what happens to your permission ? :mad:

Yep. We are sometimes stuck. I'm focusing on curb-strips this year. All kinds of possibilities. Hopefully more finds than problems.

I'm not really sure why you are so opinionated on this particular subject, but this is going to be something that we have to agree to disagree on and move on :grin: Happy Hunting.

BCD

Buford-city-dawg, I understand where you're coming from. And I understand the safety feeling of having been given a green light by someone at a city or county hall. But consider :

If you get a "yes", you think "It's a good thing I asked, because now I can detect with no worries". If you got a "no", you'd be thinking: "It's a good thing I asked, lest I could have been arrested". So either way, (whether a "yes" or a "no") the conclusion is the same: That asking, therefore, was a necessary step.

But what other alternative answer could they have given you ? Do you think they'd have said : "Gee that's a funny question. Why are you asking me ? If it's not prohibited, then you don't need our green light". Nope. Authority never answers like that. They bestow on you their princely "no" or "yes". Because .... well ... you asked. So therefore a "yes" or a "no", to me, doesn't imply that asking was a necessary prerequisite.

But that might only re-inforce what I'm saying: That this person (who decided now, or prior) possibly only ever did so, BECAUSE you (or persons before you too) came in asking for their blessing/approval ? Ie.: This could merely be the classic case of "no one cared, until you asked" type scenario.

So far from being proof that they were "well aware of the law and interpretation", to me that simply means that someone put it in their lap as a "pressing issue" and you got the "easy answer". Perhaps by a person who'd have never have given the matter a moment's thought before this matter crossed their desk for their approval.

You are not going to "get a ticket" or "have your equipment taken" for md'ing in an innocuous park where no rule/law exists forbidding it. If you can cite any example of that happening, please let us know.

I agree that the lack of a "no detecting" rule, does NOT mean that people will "roll out the red carpets" for you. And you're right that even in the absence of specific prohibition, that someone can still gripe . By saying you're "defacing" or "harming earthworms" or whatever.

But this still doesn't solve the problem that thinking you can "head this off at the pass", can actually simply become a self-fulfilling cycle.

10-4 over & out !

:off-topic:

Over - I've finished speaking and await your reply.

Out - I've finished speaking and no reply is expected.

In real life the terms aren't used together since they contradict each other but you hear it in movies all the time.

One of my personal pet peeves. :mad: :D

Back to minding my own business... :roll:

:off-topic:

Over - I've finished speaking and await your reply.

Out - I've finished speaking and no reply is expected.

In real life the terms aren't used together since they contradict each other but you hear it in movies all the time.

One of my personal pet peeves. :mad: :D

Back to minding my own business... :roll:

Good one - I was watching Andy & Barney, so I got carried away :laughing:

:laughing::laughing: Hey BCD! Your brother Tom is just trying to take you a few steps up the Detectorists evolutionary ladder here and help you find some Silver/Gold!...You should feel honored that he took the time!

Never ask a nobody at City Hall for permission!...just go out and hunt....Report back if you ever get cuffed and stuffed! Take pictures! WE love pictures!:laughing:
Mud

:laughing::laughing: Hey BCD! Your brother Tom is just trying to take you a few steps up the Detectorists evolutionary ladder here and help you find some Silver/Gold!...You should feel honored that he took the time!

Never ask a nobody at City Hall for permission!...just go out and hunt....Report back if you ever get cuffed and stuffed! Take pictures! WE love pictures!:laughing:

Mud

Exactly take pictures or it never happened [emoji23]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom