• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mars MD Tiger 2 Frequency coil

choppadude

Forum Supporter
I have only recently heard about this "2 frequency" coil. It is made in the Urkraine by Mars MD. I am not sure if they are available in the US other than on eBay. I ordered mine from a dealer in the UK for right around $170 shipped. I ordered it on Christmas day and received it today.
Now one of the neat things about this coil is just how it switches frequencies, those 2 small brass tabs in the third photo is actually used to switch them. Well that and a 9 volt battery.
When you touch the leads of the 9 volt to the brass tips the small LED light will either light green or red. Green is the lower frequency and red is the higher frequency. to change from one to another just reverse the polarity of the battery and touch tips again. Pretty neat!
My coil is 5 KHz and 12 KHz along with my stock 7 KHz coil, I am pretty well set for the type of hunting I do.
Unfortunately the 2 frequency coils are only available for the AKA brand and Minelab 305, 505 & 705 units.

I used this coil a bit today and it ran very stable and seems to be of very good construction. I was surprised to learn that they do not offer coil covers for these. They claim that the coils are made of a "High impact modified thermoplastic compound" boy what a mouthful!
Unlike American manufactures that do not like to cover coil damage if you do not use a cover, Mar MD's warranty says they will restore at its own expense the coils protective layer.
Just some neat new technology I wanted to share. Check out the pics.

Last edited:
Hi i use the tiger myself a problem that crops up in the uk with these coils are the coils lugs cracking.Make sure you olny use one rubber spacer when fitting coil and all will be alright.

Hi i use the tiger myself a problem that crops up in the uk with these coils are the coils lugs cracking.Make sure you olny use one rubber spacer when fitting coil and all will be alright.

I actually noticed a bit of a space between my Mars rod assembly lower shaft and the coil ears. may have to make a small rubber spacer.

one rubber spacer will be ok people were using two and putting pressure on lugs causing them to crack.

That seems kinda cool in a way,I guess you could use your pin pointer battery in the field...Aka makes a 3 frequency coil,I had one...the coil was 9.5x12.5 and was 3,7 and 14 kHz,,it had a box in the middle of the coil wire that toggled up,down and in the middle to change frequencies.

That seems kinda cool in a way,I guess you could use your pin pointer battery in the field...Aka makes a 3 frequency coil,I had one...the coil was 9.5x12.5 and was 3,7 and 14 kHz,,it had a box in the middle of the coil wire that toggled up,down and in the middle to change frequencies.

The 3 frequency coil will be my next purchase for the Sorex.

Back
Top Bottom