Bartering my artistic talent for permission?

drawsing

I am way too shy about asking for permission to metal detect, but I have this idea to maybe make it easier. I make part of my living designing/drawing/painting and I thought perhaps I could offer a quick pencil house drawing or a pencil portrait or caricature of the homeowner or one of his children in return for permission. I could do it on the spot in about 30 minutes or so.

Is that too strange?

I'm shy to talk to you about getting permission, but I'll draw your kids if you like?

That's sorta weird I think. It may work, I'm sure stranger has happened. Good luck!
Sorry, I didn't mean I wouldn't mention metal detecting...I would simply include the art offer as a part of my pitch to the property owner.

Sorry, I didn't mean I wouldn't mention metal detecting...I would simply include the art offer as a part of my pitch to the property owner.

Bring along a few examples to show them, someone is bound to bite. I would if you are good. Just start off with the metal detecting part, otherwise they might think you are trying to sell them something and slam the door.

Thats surely a different approach . Bring your chair , pencils and sketch pad , start sketching their house , when they come to see what you're doing , show them the pic , don't forget to sketch in yourself on the front lawn with your detector digging a plug . :lol:

Thats a unique angle there to get to know somebody...I remember something similar..had a stranger knock on my door once, He had taken an aerial photo of my farm and wanted to sell it to me for $100...It looked nice, taken at the perfect time of lighting etc...framed and all...I never asked him to do it though, so it took me by surprise..:?:.

Then I thought, what kind of a deal is this?...Who else would buy a pic of my farm? And who else would want to see it or even care?

But I was in a generous mood that day I guess, appreciated his moxey and aeronautical photography skill, so I offered him a dollar...!! :laughing:
Mud

(true story!..Wife can verify, she was mad/ashamed of my negotiation skills for some reason? Insulting a stranger? I never asked the guy to do it in the first place! How did all of a sudden I become the bad guy? Still, she was mad at me for being so rude. So in the end, that Cessna flying Ansel Adams bastard freaked me, but at least It didnt cost me any money....so Yeah, if you was to show up on my front porch and pitch this deal, I'd say "sketch away!" I'd probably even give you a handful of Wheat pennies for your trouble!):laughing:

Sounds like a great idea to me, I think lots of people would be interested.
Might even get you other permissions from their neighbors once they see the drawings.

Man... I LOVE your posts!

Thats a unique angle there to get to know somebody...I remember something similar..had a stranger knock on my door once, He had taken an aerial photo of my farm and wanted to sell it to me for $100...It looked nice, taken at the perfect time of lighting etc...framed and all...I never asked him to do it though, so it took me by surprise..:?:.

Then I thought, what kind of a deal is this?...Who else would buy a pic of my farm? And who else would want to see it or even care?

But I was in a generous mood that day I guess, appreciated his moxey and aeronautical photography skill, so I offered him a dollar...!! :laughing:
Mud

(true story!..Wife can verify, she was mad/ashamed of my negotiation skills for some reason? Insulting a stranger? I never asked the guy to do it in the first place! How did all of a sudden I become the bad guy? Still, she was mad at me for being so rude. So in the end, that Cessna flying Ansel Adams bastard freaked me, but at least It didnt cost me any money....so Yeah, if you was to show up on my front porch and pitch this deal, I'd say "sketch away!" I'd probably even give you a handful of Wheat pennies for your trouble!):laughing:

Mud... if you ever make it to Panama City Beach look me up!! I'll buy you a beer :beers: or three at the Wicked Wheel, and if we go on Thursday, that's Pint Day so you get to keep the souvenir glass. :lol:

Mud... if you ever make it to Panama City Beach look me up!! I'll buy you a beer :beers: or three at the Wicked Wheel, and if we go on Thursday, that's Pint Day so you get to keep the souvenir glass. :lol:

You had me at Free Beer! Ok!...as long as your intentions are mildly honorable! If I make that drive, we can laugh and giggle and go snipe freshies around the beach right? Or, you can come up here to the warm shores of Michigan and crack a few on the back Mudpuppy deck! Or, you can send me $10 and consider us even?

Hey wait a minute...are you trying to scam me? You aint some sort of shy pencil artist or aerial photographer are ya? I'm damn near out of Wheat pennies what with this being graduation season and all :laughing:
Mud

You had me at Free Beer! Ok!...as long as your intentions are mildly honorable! If I make that drive, we can laugh and giggle and go snipe freshies around the beach right? Or, you can come up here to the warm shores of Michigan and crack a few on the back Mudpuppy deck! Or, you can send me $10 and consider us even?

Hey wait a minute...are you trying to scam me? You aint some sort of shy pencil artist or aerial photographer are ya? I'm damn near out of Wheat pennies what with this being graduation season and all :laughing:
Mud

Not near as many "freshies" as you'd expect around the beaches now a days, more in the water than up on the dry... A trip to Michigan sounds good - what week is it that there's no snow on the ground? :laughing: - got a buddy over in Appleton Wi that I'd need to go see too. Honorable??? Awww man! I was hoping to learn some new witty comebacks to throw out there! :lol:

No, no scam here, I can't draw a straight line with a yardstick! I DO take some good pictures though... but no flying for me. Maybe when I get that DRONE I've been wanting, but I have to wait for my lottery winnings :gettinmoney: to come in, should be any day now :waiting:

I am way too shy about asking for permission to metal detect, but I have this idea to maybe make it easier. I make part of my living designing/drawing/painting and I thought perhaps I could offer a quick pencil house drawing or a pencil portrait or caricature of the homeowner or one of his children in return for permission. I could do it on the spot in about 30 minutes or so.

Is that too strange?

Good idea...but you could always put an advert in your local paper asking if people want to know whats under their feet...that might be nice as its not face to face asking and can get you a ton of permissions in one go...get some print outs in a booklet form to show your before and after shots of plugs dug, then some finds. obviously the better ones, plus a shot of a pile of junk can slaw you 'clean' out from just under the surface.

Here is one of my pencil sketches of an old house. This one took about 35-40 minutes.

oldhome-1.jpg

Wow, you are very talented. That approach just might work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom