Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 01-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Elite Member

Default CZ-21 On Hold...Not Any More!

Well due to financial considerations it looks like my plan for a CZ-21 will have to wait for a while longer. I do still want a better machine for the beach in the mean time. I really don't need a fully submersible machine as I will probably only go in about a foot or so of water and of course the wet and dry sand. I do want a VLF machine that will work in the salt.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Elite Member

Older Sovereign XS2/Elite can be found for around $400, Sovereign GT can be found for around $600.

Sovereign with a big SEF coil is a force to be reckoned with.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM

What about a used CZ-20?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 PM

Does it have to be waterproof ?

I have a really nice CZ7 with 8 inch coil I am going to put up for $335 shipped USPS priority.

This unit works perfectly and is great in the wet, salt sand ( I hunt NJ beaches).

Only reason I am selling is I have 4 CZ's already and this does not get much use.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Elite Member

Used machines are of course a consideration but I am really leaning toward purchasing a new unit. Warranty means a lot to me. I have been burned in the past with items that failed shortly after I purchased them and they were not worth the money to repair them. The amount of money I paid plus the repair costs totaled more than a new unit would have cost me. Since then, I try to buy new whenever possible.

What current models would you guys recommend? And no, it doesn't have to be waterproof but that would definitely be a plus.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM

I understand the used machine reluctance. Knowing the seller or having the manufacturer or a reliable 3rd party check out a machine helps a lot. New machines are best for sure. Check with several dealers for best prices. Dealer agreements prevent them from advertising prices below list and some do sell below list. My understanding is they can tell you what they are selling for they just cannot put it in print. You have to ask in person or by phone.

With the salt beach and shallow water hunting, you really want a multi-frequency machine or PI. PI have little if any ID and greater depth meaning digging more trash. Trashy beaches may be unhuntable with a PI as the amount of sound is unacceptable.

Minelab's Excal II and the Fisher CZ21 are the most popular units and have a large number of dedicated fans. It would be hard to go wrong with either one and they are pretty close in cost at around $1,000.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM

In the classifieds....Beach Hunter id w/9.5 coil....just back from whites....$525....another option to consider....gl and hh!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Elite Member

I have already decided that the CZ-21 is in my future. I just can't afford the $1000 just yet. I have been warned against a PI machine by others who have hunted our area due to the amount of trash here.

I am just looking for a slightly less expensive machine for the mean time. It will remain as a backup when I am able to acquire the CZ-21.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Elite Member

I am using a Tesoro Tiger Shark. VLF, waterproof to 200 feet, and has a salt mode. But it is still a little pricey if new. I do NOT do much salt water though. Mostly freshwater lakes.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Elite Member

Can anyone give me any input on a Fisher F-70 for beach hunting? I realize that it is NOT a water proof machine but how good would it be for 1-2 feet of water? Would it have any problems in the salt or would it be a good choice?

I am looking at it as the price is a fair amount lower than the CZ-21 that I really want but have to wait for a while.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

F-70 is still a single frequency machine which is inherently problematic with salt water/sand. Now the CZ-70 is another story....basically same MF-VLF technology as the current CZ-21, but it is splashproof instead of submersible. The CZ-70 does have a visual display with target id, etc. Also, the control box is removable, so you could zip-lock it in a baggie and put it in a backpack while you hunt deeper areas.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Elite Member

Buy a Sovereign... seriously, you won't be disappointed. It is a proven beach monster. CZ21 and Sovereign with 12x15 SEF are pretty much the only machines I use anymore.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Elite Member

In that price range it's tough finding a good VLF to handle salt. You might be able to find a good deal on a NOS CZ3d if you want new. Otherwise your best bet is a used CZ7/7a/7a pro/70, or a Minelab Sov or Explorer.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by DnD View post
F-70 is still a single frequency machine which is inherently problematic with salt water/sand. Now the CZ-70 is another story....basically same MF-VLF technology as the current CZ-21, but it is splashproof instead of submersible. The CZ-70 does have a visual display with target id, etc. Also, the control box is removable, so you could zip-lock it in a baggie and put it in a backpack while you hunt deeper areas.
I'm guessing the CZ-70 is an older model?? I don't see it listed on the Fisher site.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Crumble View post
Buy a Sovereign... seriously, you won't be disappointed. It is a proven beach monster. CZ21 and Sovereign with 12x15 SEF are pretty much the only machines I use anymore.
Looks like the Sovereign is pretty close to the same money I can get a CZ-21 for. I guess I will just have to wait until I can pull the trigger for what I really want. It's too cold here (yes I know it is not cold compared to you guys up north) to make beach hunting look attractive anyway. I guess I will just have to try and get ready for the spring.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by CoiltoSoil View post
In that price range it's tough finding a good VLF to handle salt. You might be able to find a good deal on a NOS CZ3d if you want new. Otherwise your best bet is a used CZ7/7a/7a pro/70, or a Minelab Sov or Explorer.
I had that conversation with Bart at Big Boys Hobbies yesterday and he said exactly the same thing. I guess I will just hang loose until I can get what I really want.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View post
Looks like the Sovereign is pretty close to the same money I can get a CZ-21 for. I guess I will just have to wait until I can pull the trigger for what I really want. It's too cold here (yes I know it is not cold compared to you guys up north) to make beach hunting look attractive anyway. I guess I will just have to try and get ready for the spring.
Yeah, the CZ-70 is an older model. If you only want a new machine, well, +1 on what Crumble said and wait until you have enough for the model you really like.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View post
I have already decided that the CZ-21 is in my future. I just can't afford the $1000 just yet. I have been warned against a PI machine by others who have hunted our area due to the amount of trash here.

I am just looking for a slightly less expensive machine for the mean time. It will remain as a backup when I am able to acquire the CZ-21.
If Bart won't go below $1,000 talk to Rich at Colonial. Almost bought one from him and he was going to sell me one for a fair amount under $1,000. In the end, I went with the At Gold and Bart couldn't even touch Rich's price on that.
Good luck

Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Freshwater Shark

I found a GREAT used CZ-20 for 250.00. Another one for 300.00. I would keep looking in a few places.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Elite Member

Post I had

A cz70pro, but I recommend you getting a GT, the unit is concealed better, but still not waterproof, you want to stay out of the water, with the GT ,as it is always that stray wave that will toast your machine, or you drop it by accident , I picked up a cz20 at a good price the year before last, however I won't submerge it do to a pin point button rubber that could leak into the brain housing, so I chest mount it for shallow water ,wet, sand hunting, from what I here the Cz21s have China gut's, maybe try a Tesoso Tiger shark, since money is a issue, also a used Excalibur Blue model, I have a blue model and love it, have 2 Excalibur 2 1000s, , I have to say ,it's a good thing I have 2 because they like the shop for repair , my favorite machine is the White's Surf Pi Df, , there is nothing wrong with a Pi dig all machine, has never been to the shop, happy hunting Earl