Today only happens once in a 1,000 years!

Also worth noting..

That only works if you've already had your birthday any given year...

What am I missing about once every 1000 years?

<°)))>{

Gifted with Numbers

Sounds like a case for Srinivasa Ramanujan to solve. :lol:

There is a famous anecdote about Ramanujan, a famous Indian mathematician, that even a non-mathematician can appreciate.

In 1917 Ramanujan was hospitalised in London. He was said to have tuberculosis but it is more likely this was to cover a failed suicide attempt.

His friend and also a mathematician, Hardy, took a cab to visit him. Not being good at small talk all Hardy could think to say was that the number of his cab, 1,729, was uninteresting.

Ramanujan immediately replied that quite to the contrary it was the smallest number expressible as a sum of two cubes in two distinct ways: :wow:

1,729 = 12^3 + 1^3 = 10^3 + 9^3

This is now known as Ramanujan’s taxi-cab number.

(note: "^" means raised to the power of).

Grab a deck of cards, and pull out 3-Kings, 3-Queens, and 3-Jacks.

Place a King in each of 3 Horizontal rows. Top each King with a Queen, then top the Queen with a Jack.

Pick each pile (K-Q-J) up, and place it on top of the one beside it.

Cut the cards in two, placing the lower half on top of what was the top half. Don't split them into 3 piles, and don't shuffle them. Cut the cards as described above as many times as you like.

Once you've decided to stop cutting, start dealing 3 horizontal rows, placing the 4-5-6 cards on top of 1-2-3, then 7-8-9 on top of 4-5-6, just covering 1/2 the card, like you were playing solitaire.

I will be using my physic powers to control your mind, and once you finish, you'll have no doubt, I'm for real :D

Had to go to store for wife,and got to laughing at my self stupidity. Take ANY birth year and add your age and you come up with present year.:laughing::laughing:
And I was in the top 94% in math!:laughing::wow::laughing:

Had to go to store for wife,and got to laughing at my self stupidity. Take ANY birth year and add your age and you come up with present year.:laughing::laughing:
And I was in the top 94% in math!:laughing::wow::laughing:

Took you awhile to figure that one out. That's what Ice was saying, unless your bitrhday hasn't passed this year yet, then it falls one year short of 2017.

Last edited:
Like any number ending in 5 multiplied times itself (squared).

Solution can be had by using the value of number preceding the numeral 5 and multiplying it by one number value greater than itself, then put the number 25 on as suffix to the product of the two numbers.

For example 25x25 can be solved by taking the number 2 X (2+1) 3= 6

Take the 6 put the number 25 with to come up with 625.

Will work for all, but if decimals are involved just place them appropriately with your finished number.

Like any number ending in 5 multiplied times itself (squared).

Solution can be had by using the value of number preceding the numeral 5 and multiplying it by one number value greater than itself, then put the number 25 on as suffix to the product of the two numbers.

For example 25x25 can be solved by taking the number 2 X (2+1) 3= 6

Take the 6 put the number 25 with to come up with 625.

Will work for all, but if decimals are involved just place them appropriately with your finished number.
Yeah- learned that one in high school- math teacher was a wizard and whenever a student couldn't get a trig problem he just went to a giant slide rule hung above the chalkboard and worked the problem solutions while explaining each step. Still, with all my learning, I pulled this one while working at Walmart. A customer called about the price of a rifle and after I told him retail he wanted to know price with tax. I told him I couldn't use the register without a sale, hoping to avoid having to figure the tax then add it to the retail- I was busy! The young high school student working with me said "Wait". The tax rate here was 8 1/4¢ . He got on the calculator and multiplied the retail X 1.0825 and handed me the price!:lol:

Only once in 1000 years? my birthday in 2018, my age and my birth year will NEVER add up to 2017, no matter how long I live, be it 10 years, or 10,000 years.
Well, of course not. The years previous and up to 2017. The joke was that your birth year added to your age would give you the present year. One of those "Duh" moments.:D

Sounds like a case for Srinivasa Ramanujan to solve. :lol:

There is a famous anecdote about Ramanujan, a famous Indian mathematician, that even a non-mathematician can appreciate.

In 1917 Ramanujan was hospitalised in London. He was said to have tuberculosis but it is more likely this was to cover a failed suicide attempt.

His friend and also a mathematician, Hardy, took a cab to visit him. Not being good at small talk all Hardy could think to say was that the number of his cab, 1,729, was uninteresting.

Ramanujan immediately replied that quite to the contrary it was the smallest number expressible as a sum of two cubes in two distinct ways: :wow:

1,729 = 12^3 + 1^3 = 10^3 + 9^3

This is now known as Ramanujan’s taxi-cab number.

(note: "^" means raised to the power of).

I thought everybody knew that!:roll::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom