Back On The Hunt Gets A $5 Gold Piece !

Hacksaw-BoB

Forum Supporter
I have had too lay off with my MDing since I had back surgery in June for a ruptured L2-L3 disk.
Went on a driving trip recently to UT, CO, NM and returning to AZ.
Thought I would bring my Vaquero on the trip in case there was an opportunity to use it.
I had some time in Durango, CO and found a grass area along a old sidewalk with some big trees.
Put a couple of quarters in the parking meter so I had an hour and that was about all I could do because of my back.
Well, I found this coin about 4 inches deep that I was pulling out of the ground and it felt the size of a nickel.
To my surprise, It was a $5 dollar gold piece and dated 1881 :confetti:
I was so thrilled as it was the first gold coin I had ever found over the many years of MDing.
Took a couple of photos with my cell phone of the score.
I also found a total of 12 coins for the hunt with a wheatie dated 1944 as well.

FIND2010-09-09a.jpg

FIND2010-09-09b.jpg

FIND2010-09-09c.jpg

FIND2010-09-09d.jpg

FIND2010-09-09f.jpg

That is freaking AWESOME!!!! Congrats on your gold coin!! Its beautiful and in Excellent condition!! I wish I was in your shoes !! WTG!!!!

yes it should!! Not to many of these bad boys found! I cant stop stairing at that coin! Its a beauty!

Wow, unreal find. The detail is amazing and i can't stop looking a that one. Amazing find, glad you're back at it!

HOLY CRAP! Why isn't this in eye popping mind blowing?! Some Admin move it!

:shock: Welcome to the small and exclusive Gold Coin Club! WOW! :wow:

HOLY CRAP! Why isn't this in eye popping mind blowing?! Some Admin move it!

Couldn't agree more!! Amazing! I didn't think anybody actually dug these up. I bet the man/woman who lost it was awfully upset.

PLEASE tell us what signal you got! Nickel reading? VDI?

Are you going to try and find the owner?

Hahaha, I just had to say that. It was in reference to another thread a few weeks ago.

Awesome find. I would re-hunt that entire area again doing the North-South/East-West Grid search method. You may turn up more!

I'm drooling so bad, I have to wipe up my keyboard!

Back
Top Bottom