cz-21 rant!!

garviso8

Elite Member
I know there are those that will come to it's defense but this is MY experience with this machine ,the other day after a long time since I water hunted with my cz I decided to give it a spin on the dry sand I don't water hunt on the fact that finding your target with a heavy t-rex scoop makes detecting no fun in the water ,well to my surprise it doesn't want to work , the speakers are fine but the coil is not picking up a reliable signal it's intermittent .no water has ever gotten into the housing ,no visible cracks on any of the cables :mad: changed batteries nothing! can't figure out why a machine that sits in a closet doesn't want to work no coil cracks or anything .this machine like i've said before is nothing more than a water proofed bounty hunter with its stupid 3tones ,big over done pinpointing button, that weighs a ton ,has a wobbly shaft and all that for 1200 dollars what a waste of money. should of learned from all the utube videos and gone with minelab ..rant over sorry but I needed to vent this experience

Can't help you with the CZ-21, I use excals, but the T Rex could use a scoop assist handle especially for water hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 325
You are right people will come to it's defense. A great machine and I love them. NO idea what is wrong with yours but the three tones are not stupid at all. Does it still have a warranty?

I know there are those that will come to it's defense but this is MY experience with this machine ,the other day after a long time since I water hunted with my cz I decided to give it a spin on the dry sand I don't water hunt on the fact that finding your target with a heavy t-rex scoop makes detecting no fun in the water ,well to my surprise it doesn't want to work , the speakers are fine but the coil is not picking up a reliable signal it's intermittent .no water has ever gotten into the housing ,no visible cracks on any of the cables :mad: changed batteries nothing! can't figure out why a machine that sits in a closet doesn't want to work no coil cracks or anything .this machine like i've said before is nothing more than a water proofed bounty hunter with its stupid 3tones ,big over done pinpointing button, that weighs a ton ,has a wobbly shaft and all that for 1200 dollars what a waste of money. should of learned from all the utube videos and gone with minelab ..rant over sorry but I needed to vent this experience

"Diggum" just went through a similar experience....I'll send him a PM and see if he can make some suggestions :D

no have had it for 3and a half years now used it maybe 10 times mostly in the dry and wet sand ,thinking of repair options and selling it, don't care for all the cables and to heavy not for me . my park machine is a minelab safari and has out produced this dinosaur ten fold even on the beach not looking for a machine war, but like I said not for me.

:?:
1. If you have a coil cover remove it and see if there's anything that needs to be cleaned in there. 2. Are batteries fresh? Have you tested the voltage?

Since you're stating its a new machine I cant imagine there's anything wrong, and if there is and its under warranty, then send it in like SD stated. I can tell you that First Texas' turnaround time on repair work is great. That's something Minelab can't hold a candle to. Ask here and read past posts related to that. That's Minelab's greatest weakness.

:?:
1. If you have a coil cover remove it and see if there's anything that needs to be cleaned in there. 2. Are batteries fresh? Have you tested the voltage?

Since you're stating its a new machine I cant imagine there's anything wrong, and if there is and its under warranty, then send it in like SD stated. I can tell you that First Texas' turnaround time on repair work is great. That's something Minelab can't hold a candle to. Ask here and read past posts related to that. That's Minelab's greatest weakness.
no coil cover noticed and batteries were changed ,nada . not to say there aren't other good beach machines out there just never have had to send my minelab for major repairs just parts here and there that they sent to me free or for a price but so far no drama, this machine hasn't even come close to paying for itself before it started bellyaching . machine is 3 and a half years old no warranty very little use.

Been using my CZ-21 for the last 9 months with little or no problems. Solved the weight problem by wearing the unit on a spare weight belt I used to used for scuba. Tried everything from chest harness to weight belt and found the belt option worked for me the best.

As for paying for itself... its done more than that easily just hitting wet sand to chest deep stuff. For me its like a ring magnet. Running my CZ I score on average a ring ever 2 hrs. Their not all Au, Ag or Pt but their rings and lots of misc jewelry as well. did someone step on the coil and snap something inside.

Had a problem like that once although not with my CZ but the problem sounded much like your's.

Bummer sorry to hear that, I always felt like the CZ was built like a brick.... house and could take a beating. That's part of the reason why we chose it since I heard Excals are fragile and I can't be shipping internationally constantly to do repairs.

Numil - care to share your cz-21 knob settings :) do you ground balance underwater?

Bummer sorry to hear that, I always felt like the CZ was built like a brick.... house and could take a beating. That's part of the reason why we chose it since I heard Excals are fragile and I can't be shipping internationally constantly to do repairs.

Numil - care to share your cz-21 knob settings :) do you ground balance underwater?
Just my 2 cents about Excals. I have 2, both bought used. Never had a problem except one I had to remove the remote pinpoint switch. I was getting low battery signal but it was due to the switch wires getting wet and removing the switch fixed it. Going on 4 years, both Excals go deep and find the gold. The CZ is also quite good but lately I have read numerous threads about problems with them. Take care of the machine and it will take care of you. NEVER leave it in a hot car trunk. Wash it every trip. Treat it well and it will last. HH

Just my 2 cents about Excals. I have 2, both bought used. Never had a problem except one I had to remove the remote pinpoint switch. I was getting low battery signal but it was due to the switch wires getting wet and removing the switch fixed it. Going on 4 years, both Excals go deep and find the gold. The CZ is also quite good but lately I have read numerous threads about problems with them. Take care of the machine and it will take care of you. NEVER leave it in a hot car trunk. Wash it every trip. Treat it well and it will last. HH

Thanks, I can only go by what I've jogged in my brain browsing the forums and yes we all tend to only mention & remember the bad. Have been seeing a bit more complaints on the cz side but I seem to remember a lot of battery pod issues, and knob & pot issues with the excal that just stick in my brain too much when contemplating the next purchase.

If you want ROCK SOLID get an Excal (I prefer the Blue excal), a straight shaft, a remote pinpoint switch, and a Stealth scoop with a carbon fiber handle.. DONE!!!!!!!!

I have a CTX 3030 with all 3 coils to work with. I usually never use the 11". The 17 is for the beach and the 6" is for parks.

The Excal has CTX connectors for the coils and I go between my 17" and my stocker...

Of the two machines, I have found more with my Excal. No guess work... You hear it in pp, you switch to discrim. You still hear it you dig it.. End of story....

With that said, I'm strictly a MineLab detectorist I suppose.

Its Time

Send the machine into Fisher, it will cost some bucks, but when it comes back, it will be CZ21 upgraded with a new serial #, in your case, this is most likely your only option, probably 400.00 clams, new lines , face,the newer pin point button, no rubber, whatever it need's added to the bill, and submersible once again, happy hunting Earl

Send the machine into Fisher, it will cost some bucks, but when it comes back, it will be CZ21 upgraded with a new serial #, in your case, this is most likely your only option, probably 400.00 clams, new lines , face,the newer pin point button, no rubber, whatever it need's added to the bill, and submersible once again, happy hunting Earl

Earl, if he spent $1,200 and bought it just over 3 years ago it is a CZ-21.

Stuff just happens. I think i broke everything that could be broke except the board in a year with the Xcal. Only guy i know that MLs response to my damage was i hunted to much.:lol: ANYONE who buys a detector and puts it in the salt water and hot sun and doesnt plan for repairs just isnt living in the real world. Just part of it..... and then you have Murphys Law.

I believe the CZ has some good advantages over the Xcal....... well until Joe started doing those PP switches. IMO that kind of evened the playing field since most were hunting the CZ in PP mode. I cant say i liked the short shaft either nor having to hip mount the machine. I know a older couple here in Fl that use the CZ and they will flat embarrass you out there with their little 8" coils. Ive found a lot has to do with machine you pick up first and LEARN. Most of the time you dont give a different machine time. Ive been one who feels use it at least until its paid for its self.

Being in Fl i kind of feel for those up North that dont/cant hunt year round. About like a lawn mower with a years warranty....... you only really get 6 mos.

Dew

I know a older couple here in Fl that use the CZ and they will flat embarrass you out there with their little 8" coils.
Dew[/QUOTE]

Dew...is that the couple that was pictured on the cover of Eastern/Western Treasures a few years back ?

Felix/ garvis08

My mistake , guess the 1s were looking like 0s late last night, and i was on my S4, maybe it's time for a upgrade :laughing:, i would still send it in for service, they just don't make them like they used to, that;s why i went from the Blue to the Green , than back to the Blues on Excalibur's

"Diggum" just went through a similar experience....I'll send him a PM and see if he can make some suggestions :D

Thanks, DaviDs, but unfortunately I can't help, here. From what I read, this unit wasn't even used in the water, and water incursion to the coil was my issue. My solution was to send it back to Fisher, again. Hoping my next outing is as good as my last one, and I'll be able to breathe easier.

My only suggestion would be to try a fresh set of batteries. Don't use the Dollar Tree kind, either. Get name brand, if you haven't already. I know that some devices can't use "heavy duty" batteries, and Fishers for sure don't like them, in my experience.

Can happen to any machine. I had to send my first Infinium LS back because it was possessed by demons, second one worked perfect. My brand new CTX had a faulty battery or charger, which would have been expensive to replace, thankfully warranty took care of it.

The CZ21 is a beast of a machine when it is working right, and the vast majority of them are problem free. Mine has paid for itself like 10 times now in the 5 years or so that I have owned it. Has had zero problems.

Send it in, it may be something simple to fix.

Back
Top Bottom