Deceptive Bricks

Pooks45

Hi all. I am fairly new to detecting (about a year). I have an Ace 300 and Fisher F75. I have made a few good finds (A couple Indians, Mercs, and many Wheaties, as well as old shotgunshell stamps). Something that I have found that confuses both machines is bricks, and large stone slabs. The edges will read in the high #'s for vdi, and will sound like silver as well in both directions. Im figuring out how best to spot these areas (targets too long). I haven't really seen this mentioned before and I wanted to contribute a bit and also see if anyone else had some tips or tricks.

Welcome to the hobby.

I remember those same issues when I first started a while back... Not sure if I ever figured out the reason but I adapted and started using smaller coils, and lower sensitivity when detecting along old walls and foundations. I think there was iron reinforcement or just lots of nails or something where walls used to be.

Happy hunting.

What you are detecting is the difference in mineralization as compared to the ground. Your sensitivity can be adjusted to help cancel but if you like running a little hot then you are on the right path by going by the size of the target.

I have used a metal detector to find the edge of a septic tank so there can be some advantages of detecting these type of objects.

Ray

I just finished chasing a couple of disapperaring signals that seemed so strong, only to find buried old red clay bricks. I searched the forum to see if it was just me, and I am so glad to see that falsing caused by bricks is a real thing. I'll have to take back all those cuss words I flung at my AT Pro and pinpointer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Absolutely true! Red clay bricks will fool BOTH of my Minelabs into at least giving a partial high conductor indication,similar to a real coin being masked. Been there,done that...unfortunately!

Back
Top Bottom