• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Thoughts on this backpack?

It's A Trap!

I saw this online and I thought this would be good for storing a metal detector and some tools while hiking long distances.

picture.php

picture.php

Whoa! Where did you find that? Thanks for posting. I have one that extends down one side for the butt of a gun but that looks even better.

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

Whoa! Where did you find that? Thanks for posting. I have one that extends down one side for the butt of a gun but that looks even better.

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

It is called the Eberlestock: Gunslinger ll. The company 'Eberlestock' has a bunch of different ones. It looks like it would be a great "bug out" bag if you're a prepper

It looks like it would be heavy if it got wet. Just a thought if you plan to be outdoors for any extended period. I had a military style pack i used on a canoe trip, it gained about 15#s when wet. I use granite gear packs, super lightweight and dry quick, great for what we use them for but may not be right for you. Looks like a good pack for dry use!

I could never understand why some guys on this forum require so much gear. I hunt quite a bit, when my brother and I hunt, it's often 8 hours or so. We do cover miles sometimes to get to a location. We throw a couple granola bars in our pants pockets, a bottle of water, spare battery pack in our finds bag. Some paper towels in a baggie (also in a pants pocket) and off we go. Our digger and pro pointer hangs from our belt and our Sampsons and detector over our shoulder. Seriously, what do you carry in those giant backpacks? I have one similar and could quite literally pack enough supplies in there to survive a month. So, what goes in there?

I could never understand why some guys on this forum require so much gear. I hunt quite a bit, when my brother and I hunt, it's often 8 hours or so. We do cover miles sometimes to get to a location. We throw a couple granola bars in our pants pockets, a bottle of water, spare battery pack in our finds bag. Some paper towels in a baggie (also in a pants pocket) and off we go. Our digger and pro pointer hangs from our belt and our Sampsons and detector over our shoulder. Seriously, what do you carry in those giant backpacks? I have one similar and could quite literally pack enough supplies in there to survive a month. So, what goes in there?

I can’t speak for the OP, but carrying a detector miles to my detecting spot would be miserable. I have one spot that is a several mile bike ride to get to. I modified a bike trailer to haul my gear. I find lots of big iron at this spot and there is no way I could carry out my iron trash in my pockets or even a backpack. So for some of us, a finds pouch and pants pockets won’t cut it.

I'm not trying to be a smart-$$ here Steve, honestly. When we hike into a location, if we find an iron object so big I need a bike trailer, guess where it stays. If we're cleaning out a spot of iron, we'll stack it up in one location and let it finish rotting away. I, in all honesty did once dig up a model T wheel. I wanted it. The next day I hiked back in with the sole purpose of collecting that piece. Carried it out on a pack frame. Easy peezy.
Reminds me of a guy I fished with a couple times. This fellow was so afraid he'd forget something, he'd bring two, fully stuffed tackle boxes, big plastic ones. Mind you, we were wading in the Susquehanna river. He'd haul all that stuff out to a little island/rock outcropping and plop it all down. He'd fish in that little area for 20 mins and hike, with his 20 pounds of !!!! to the next little "island" and do it all over again. At the end of the day, he'd have used no more gear than I carried in a well organized fishing vest, and he was spent.
I guess you'd call me a minimalist, but in all my years of fishing, backpacking, hunting, primitive camping, etc It'd be a rare event not to have what I needed. As the saying goes, to each his own, but I still don't get the whole, "expedition" level of equipment etc every time I take a hike.

I was thinking that this backpack would be ideal if you are going to go metal detecting in someplace remote in a forest or desert where not a lot of people are around to help you if you should get lost. The backpack could carry medical supplies, a long gun for defending yourself against bears and cougars, camping supplies, as well as other stuff that you could use IN CASE you somehow get lost while going to that cabin, logging camp or old mine and you don't have any cell service.

I only carry a small book bag with a small medical kit, extra food and water and room for finds since i live in a populated area and I don't need to worry about getting lost or crawling to a road miles away for help if I break my leg.

Got it. In the situations you describe, you're making a wise decision. We're never detecting in a location that my brother or I couldn't find our way out of and you're right, when we're in bear country we bare arms. So I see your need.

Back
Top Bottom