Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 01-12-2018, 01:23 PM

Default Explorer vs new detectors

So it's been awhile since I've been in the detecting world last detector I had was a white ID with mr. Bill mods I was wondering if the explorers were still competitive machines to today's machines?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mountain goat View post
So it's been awhile since I've been in the detecting world last detector I had was a white ID with mr. Bill mods I was wondering if the explorers were still competitive machines to today's machines?
Your Classic ID and Minelab Explorers are not only still competitive, but also 2 of the best all around hunting machines ever made. Keep the Classic,get the Explorer if it’s priced right in good shape.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Supporter

There hasn't been a lot of advancement in detector technology as far as raw depth goes in the last 25 years. There has been quite a bit in new features and some of those equate to greater depth. Most of the old "MODS" consisted of lowering the factory ground balance, now often referred to as "supper tuned" as to make your detector seem deeper. Not so much deeper as really just hotter. Less stable, but hotter. Even a lot of the mid-level detectors today have the feature to "super tune" a detector for a hotter response.

Far more accurate target ID at greater depth has improved greatly. It used to be the word that you were crazy to trust those fangled target ID things. Today they are pretty common and often quite accurate. Better ground balancing. Better tuned coils. Faster processors. All these things can and do improve detection depth.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Elite Member

The explorers or any fbs machine from Minelab is hard to beat,regardless of age or make(explorer,Etrac,Safari...
That is a technology that in my opinion will be number one for deep coins and ID long after I’m gone.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Elite Member

If you want to pickup both high and mid conductors, to a good depth in one sweep, FBS is the job.
But, you can go behind them with a single freq, where you have tuned the freq to the target your hunting, and you'll find more at depth. (AKA)
Also when it comes to hunting in iron, there's better pickers.(Deus)
Personally i think an FBS is the perfect meat in the sandwich, between a AKA MFD and a Deus.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:05 PM

The Whites with mods didn't go deeper but it would respond recover almost to fast Mr Bill did some different things to it. It was one of the last ones he did told us that he was done after that one and thanks for the replies

Old 01-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Elite Member

Having owned and compared my Explorer S, XS, II, and Pro to my CTX, I am still impressed with how the Explorer series performs. My primary hunting grounds are on ocean beaches with conductive salt and heavy mineralization. With that said, the Explorer is solid performer that adjusts to these ground conditions that drive single frequency detectors bonkers.

The Explorer's depth isn't much different when comparing to a comparable size coil on the CTX. For either machine, if you want more depth, simply use a larger coil. For the Explorer I've owned everything from 8" to 21".

While both machines will find similar targets and similar depths, the main difference is the CTX can be swung faster and deeper while accurately discerning a target's true ID. The new CTX tech also provides better target separation, for example, when a good target is buried under or next to unwanted targets, it can still be ID'd by the CTX.

Now don't let the CTX tech discourage you from the older Explorers....the Explorers are IMO leaps and bounds ahead of many of the current single frequency machines. Just swing it slow and steady and you'll be on your way to recovering what was buried in the past.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Elite Member

In a few weeks you could buy a Minelab Equinox 600 for $649 brand new or the Minelab Equinox 800 for $899. They will both detect on a single selected frequency 5, 10 or 15 kHz for the 600, 5, 10, 15, 20 or 40 kHz for the 800. Both can be set to detect all 5 frequencies at once. Best wishes.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

The explorer series and CTX were my favorites out of the FBS family, I had very good success with the SE Pro, will hopefully find one again... But the old explorers are just as deadly, tough to beat for coinshooting... If target ID numbers are something you prefer I would go with any model newer than the XS. All had only conductive readings vs. Ferrous & conductive numbers. Also they upgraded the headphone jack. All will keep you happy im sure, good luck and keep us posted!

☆Shield-0~V's-1~Buff-1☆

Old 01-13-2018, 01:05 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by George (MN) View post
In a few weeks you could buy a Minelab Equinox 600 for $649 brand new or the Minelab Equinox 800 for $899. They will both detect on a single selected frequency 5, 10 or 15 kHz for the 600, 5, 10, 15, 20 or 40 kHz for the 800. Both can be set to detect all 5 frequencies at once. Best wishes.
I swear you guys are going to force me to buy an Equinox - and that after just springing for a Deus. And after that a CTX (after paying for daughter's wedding), and then into the classics I've never owned, like the Explorer, a Compass Judge, . . .

Seriously - how do you guys justify these multiple detector purchases to your spouse? Or are you all single? Or just don't tell her? Personally, I've been operating on the 3rd option. Although I must admit that it was easier to take a whole weekend to drive a long way to hunt a battlefield, ghost town, saw mill town, etc. when I was 'between marriages.'

Old 01-13-2018, 01:59 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Texaspast View post
I swear you guys are going to force me to buy an Equinox - and that after just springing for a Deus. And after that a CTX (after paying for daughter's wedding), and then into the classics I've never owned, like the Explorer, a Compass Judge, . . .

Seriously - how do you guys justify these multiple detector purchases to your spouse? Or are you all single? Or just don't tell her? Personally, I've been operating on the 3rd option. Although I must admit that it was easier to take a whole weekend to drive a long way to hunt a battlefield, ghost town, saw mill town, etc. when I was 'between marriages.'
What a down to earth question here!!
I'm not telling, she may read here.lol

The 3rd option, using that one will catch up to you!

I think the Equinox would hold you for a while if you decide to get.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Old 01-13-2018, 07:41 AM

I look in her closet and see all the purses and 40 pairs of shoes not to mention jeans and shirts with price tags on them. Then I say "babe I'm getting another detector" , she responds with "that's awesome babe". I never, ever try and justify it. I just let it be and ask if she wants to go to dinner.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Elite Member

The Whites with mods didn't go deeper but it would respond recover almost to fast Mr Bill did some different things to it. It was one of the last ones he did told us that he was done after that one and thanks for the replies

I’m not sure what he did to yours but my IDXPro gained a solid 2”. I used a slightly different resistor for the SAT speed,which slows the Auto tune function down so it doesn’t tune out the deepest of legitimate targets. ID at depth is still far superior overall with FBS,and now the CTX. Before the mods,I could run full sensitivity on the IDX..afterwards in most places I can not. That particular part of the mod just made it all it could be,and then the last few degrees are pretty chatty. The external GB adjustment is the most valuable part of the Whites Classics mods,IMO. Still a GREAT machine...

Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Supporter

Who wears the pants in your family?

Seriously, I need not ask to buy my detectors...as long as I buy her something of equal or greater value...

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 01-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by George (MN) View post
Are you sure the 600 will use 5 frequencies or is it all three?

Old 01-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
Are you sure the 600 will use 5 frequencies or is it all three?

I can't remember if info is from Minelab or one of the field testers, the only people who've tried it. I'm pretty sure you could call or e-mail Minelab to confirm this. Best wishes.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:48 PM

Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Who wears the pants in your family?
I do! She said I could!

Old 01-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dgerst View post
Oh man! I'd make an even $5 for that!

Old 01-17-2018, 10:28 AM
Sponsor

HECK YES they are!

Minelab FBS machines are all silver suckers! I like to use very little discrimination on the explorer because they dont recover as fast but it will flat punch down on some silver coins!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
405-206-9010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authorized

Minelab partner of the year 2012, Customer service awards '12 and '13.