Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-25-2017, 07:17 PM
Big Treble's Avatar
Big Treble Big Treble is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 3,581
Default

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
Craig,if your Coins mode is only using 22.5 in the TX it’s not going to do as well on high conductors...you sure about that or am I misunderstanding?
You are correct, The coins mode is a library program you can pull into the program list if you choose. I don't know anyone that uses that, they either use a base prog of Coin & Jewelry,
(Different from coins), deep silver, mixed mode or Hi Pro. Pretty much everything uses 3 frequencies other than deep silver and meteorite.

__________________
CTX, E-Trac, V3i----Most days I'm not sure if I'm a Metal Detectorist, or a Scrap Metal Relocation Engineer.
Big Treble Outdoors Treasure Adventures -Missing big silver & anything remotely valuable since 2010.

Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 12-25-2017, 08:21 PM
IDXMonster IDXMonster is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Glarus
Posts: 2,694
Default

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post
You are correct, The coins mode is a library program you can pull into the program list if you choose. I don't know anyone that uses that, they either use a base prog of Coin & Jewelry,
(Different from coins), deep silver, mixed mode or Hi Pro. Pretty much everything uses 3 frequencies other than deep silver and meteorite.
Gotcha. I figured you knew what you were doing. That thing sounds like it takes a PhD to run!
Reply With Quote


  #23  
Old 12-26-2017, 03:44 PM
daddyflea daddyflea is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 296
Default

Whites answered my question

Regarding the VX3.

The Coin mode is designed to be the most user friendly, thus, it is not typically as sensitive as the Coin & Jewelry settings. There are (behind the scenes) selections made differently between the different search modes. We do not believe there is an issue with your VX3.

For experienced users, we do recommend the Coin & Jewelry mode over the Coin mode.

Sincerely

White’s USA

__________________
Etrac /Whites VX3 / Whites TRX PP / Garrett Carrot PP / Etrac Pro Coil / Sunray X-8 & X-12 Coils / Predator Raptor 31c / Lesche Digger / Lesche Heavy Weight Mini Pick

Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 12-26-2017, 03:51 PM
tnsharpshooter's Avatar
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 7,566
Default

Originally Posted by daddyflea View post
Whites answered my question

Regarding the VX3.

The Coin mode is designed to be the most user friendly, thus, it is not typically as sensitive as the Coin & Jewelry settings. There are (behind the scenes) selections made differently between the different search modes. We do not believe there is an issue with your VX3.

For experienced users, we do recommend the Coin & Jewelry mode over the Coin mode.

Sincerely

White’s USA
Interesting.

I wonder.
Does this mean there could be other program(s) that are even more sensitive than coin and jewelry with like settings dialed in??
Like hi pro.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Etrac, Minelab XS Explorer, 2-Xp
Deus
, Nokta Impact, Detech Chaser
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 12-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Martin_V3i's Avatar
Martin_V3i Martin_V3i is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 3,015
Default

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Interesting.

I wonder.
Does this mean there could be other program(s) that are even more sensitive than coin and jewelry with like settings dialed in??
Like hi pro.
X2
Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 12-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Big Treble's Avatar
Big Treble Big Treble is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 3,581
Default

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Interesting.

I wonder.
Does this mean there could be other program(s) that are even more sensitive than coin and jewelry with like settings dialed in??
Like hi pro.
Yes, hi Pro is hotter, so is deep silver. But there are only 3-4 settings that will effect depth

__________________
CTX, E-Trac, V3i----Most days I'm not sure if I'm a Metal Detectorist, or a Scrap Metal Relocation Engineer.
Big Treble Outdoors Treasure Adventures -Missing big silver & anything remotely valuable since 2010.

Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 12-26-2017, 04:11 PM
daddyflea daddyflea is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 296
Default

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Interesting.

I wonder.
Does this mean there could be other program(s) that are even more sensitive than coin and jewelry with like settings dialed in??
Like hi pro.
Not sure but from hunting with the coins program I noticed I got almost zero trash. I got almost nothing on depth of Nickles but almost every good Nickle VDI was a Nickle like maybe all three frequencies had to agree instead of two before you heard a signal. Hunted in Coin & Jewelry this weekend and dug plenty trash to know it was working correctly. I even dug a small silver ear ring, which is not trash but not a coin.

__________________
Etrac /Whites VX3 / Whites TRX PP / Garrett Carrot PP / Etrac Pro Coil / Sunray X-8 & X-12 Coils / Predator Raptor 31c / Lesche Digger / Lesche Heavy Weight Mini Pick

Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 12-29-2017, 06:08 PM
Porsche914's Avatar
Porsche914 Porsche914 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow
Posts: 740
Default

Coin only is going to be less sensitive due to the amount of discrimination it is running. Coin and Jewelry opens it up a little more to accept the lower conductors which means you will hear more trash.

Deep Silver program is set to the lowest frequency for a reason. High conductors respond better on the lower frequency. You will lose depth if you run it in 3 frequency mode.

Relic Mode uses the highest frequency because that is what works best on relics. Also it is basically no discrimination because you are looking for iron and relics.

Mixed mode runs all 3 frequencies and are pretty wide open on the discrimination so you can hear the iron and the good stuff. It has good depth and lots of information. If you can master this it will open up a whole new world.

__________________
White's M6 and V3i Nokta Impact: Gold coin club

Reply With Quote


  #29  
Old 12-29-2017, 06:36 PM
Porsche914's Avatar
Porsche914 Porsche914 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow
Posts: 740
Default

And to add my 2 cents worth......
I would not try to make one program like another such as what you are doing with the coin to coin and jewelry. It really defeats the purpose of this machine.
Here is how I use the different programs on my V3i. I don't make a lot of adjustments, just what it takes to make it run smoother for the ground I am hunting. Typically, recovery delay.....gain......boost on or off...

If I am on a property with little trash and searching for deep silver I run the deep silver program.

Coin and jewelry for when I first get to the property to see what I am dealing with trash wise. Mixed mode if I feel I need a little more depth.

Coin mode only when trash is high and I am using the stock coil, otherwise I switch to the 4x6 coil and run a more sensitive program.

If I am asked to recover lost jewelry and it is a high conductor then I run coin only. Gold? Coin and jewelry program, or mixed mode.

For house tear outs and scraped lots I hunt in coin and jewelry or mixed mode with the small coil and drop the recovery delay for separation. Or....pull out the M6 or Nokta Impact because they are so darn fast.

I like the Mixed Mode and rarely use the Hi Pro.

__________________
White's M6 and V3i Nokta Impact: Gold coin club

Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 12-29-2017, 06:48 PM
daddyflea daddyflea is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 296
Default

Originally Posted by Porsche914 View post
And to add my 2 cents worth......
I would not try to make one program like another such as what you are doing with the coin to coin and jewelry. It really defeats the purpose of this machine.
Here is how I use the different programs on my V3i. I don't make a lot of adjustments, just what it takes to make it run smoother for the ground I am hunting. Typically, recovery delay.....gain......boost on or off...

If I am on a property with little trash and searching for deep silver I run the deep silver program.

Coin and jewelry for when I first get to the property to see what I am dealing with trash wise. Mixed mode if I feel I need a little more depth.

Coin mode only when trash is high and I am using the stock coil, otherwise I switch to the 4x6 coil and run a more sensitive program.

If I am asked to recover lost jewelry and it is a high conductor then I run coin only. Gold? Coin and jewelry program, or mixed mode.

For house tear outs and scraped lots I hunt in coin and jewelry or mixed mode with the small coil and drop the recovery delay for separation. Or....pull out the M6 or Nokta Impact because they are so darn fast.

I like the Mixed Mode and rarely use the Hi Pro.
I tend to disagree with you about discrimination. The first thing I did was open up Coins. Coins will not even pick up Zincs.

__________________
Etrac /Whites VX3 / Whites TRX PP / Garrett Carrot PP / Etrac Pro Coil / Sunray X-8 & X-12 Coils / Predator Raptor 31c / Lesche Digger / Lesche Heavy Weight Mini Pick

Reply With Quote


  #31  
Old 12-29-2017, 11:34 PM
Trashfinder's Avatar
Trashfinder Trashfinder is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 856
Default

To test your coil , be in the sensitivity mode and then press zoom it will tell you signal loss etc..... and then adjust your rx gain to get the percents looking good. Also make sure you have the correct coil selected. Hi pro is extremely good in trash with a small coil. Run the machine in 5 high or low band pass, no more than 7.5 for best depth. Coil sweep speed is important. Also if in trash i do better in correlate than best data.
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.