Detecting certain areas?

JmCraz8

This may sound dumb but do you hunt gravel parking lots? Theres a bunch of little league baseball fields with a decent size area of gravel and was wondering if you don't bother or how you approach MD'ing such an area.

This may sound dumb but do you hunt gravel parking lots? Theres a bunch of little league baseball fields with a decent size area of gravel and was wondering if you don't bother or how you approach MD'ing such an area.

What kind of gravel? Pea gravel or like 3/4" stone? It may be worth it but I wouldn't go digging, because the gravel is probably on very compacted dirt. I'm sure people have lost stuff in there. Moving around gravel can be annoying because you can't really dig it. It's basically just get your signal and see what you can find. I'd only go for stuff that is registering at a couple of inches down, well depending on how deep the gravel bed is. Digging will be a nightmare I'm sure. I'd stick along the edge of the lot also possibly anywhere there is a path leading from the lot to the fields and where you know cars would park.
Best of luck and let us know how you do.

It's pea like gravel.

Might be easy to detect. All you'd really have to do is stick to shallow signals and push aside the gravel and look around to see whats there. Like I said, I wouldn't dig too much unless you want to. Because I'm sure the base is very compacted. That stuff is a pain, almost thought I was gonna break my digger digging in some hard stuff.

I hate hunting on the 'concrete' of compacted gravel and soil. You can still find clad laying in the dust at those sites, but without dynamite it's pretty tough going.

Forget the parking lot and hunt the first and third baselines where the parents sit. This is where the coins are. Also from the concession stand to the baseball diamond. Good luck.

Most people pass up those packed gravel parking lots. A couple of years ago, I found a nice Merc in one at about four inches deep. It took me over half an hour to dig it, but the signal locked in good. I had to use a screwdriver and pick out the gravel, a piece at a time. I figured that under all that gravel, it would be in lousy shape, but it wasn't. When I saw what I had, I felt that it was worth it.

ya never know until ya try, that might have been a dirt parking lot before they put gravel down so good targets might be under the gravel layer

Try to stay off the field itself as much as possible, the grounds people may give you some unwanted attention. Spectator areas are almost always worth a hit...

Dusty

I always do the gravel lots. Last year I dug just over 300 coins in one along a city park, about 1 1/2 blocks long. Steve in so az

I've found several coins on the gravel parking areas around the ball fields but as they said it's very hard and I'm not gonna dig there I just get what I can with my screwdriver 2" max.
Lot of times you can find fresh dropped coins and not even have to dig at all so thems some easy finds and never know could be a ring or something dropped too.

Does a coin sink in gravel at a slower rate then in dirt? or does it get hung up and stuck in the rocks?

This may sound dumb but do you hunt gravel parking lots?

Love em!
Hit them whenever I can.
Sure you can't chip out more than an inch in that hard pack, unless you are crazy like Silversmith45, but there is still plenty I have found in between the rocks and just under the surface.

Once on vacation back home, I was stopped from hunting a nature trail, so I hit the old parking lot instead, the kind with the medium large white rocks, and I found this laying between the rocks...
Must have been there for decades till someone with brains, good looks and a detector came along to find it.

Always think outside the box, you can be rewarded.

Attachments

• merc mich.jpg
    merc mich.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 153
Love em!
Hit them whenever I can.
Sure you can't chip out more than an inch in that hard pack, unless you are crazy like Silversmith45, but there is still plenty I have found in between the rocks and just under the surface.

Once on vacation back home, I was stopped from hunting a nature trail, but I hit the old parking lot instead, the kind with the medium large white rocks, and I found this laying between the rocks...
Must have been there for decades till someone with brains, good looks and a detector came along to find it.

Always think outside the box, you can be rewarded.

:wow::wow::wow::yes:

Back
Top Bottom