• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Coyotes or Foxes ? - recent videos from trail camera

We also have a lot of assorted two-legged varmints here in this neck of the woods but unfortunately they wont open up a season on them . :no:

Yes, that is a developing problem for all of us I'm afraid... the world is not what it once was, especially the US of A :( sorry for the negativity.

:laughing:

......so you benefited from having them as a free mice control service.

I don't know for sure but I'd imagine that Coyotes might be more of a thread to pets than Foxes would be.

That yipping I heard the other night was pretty loud, and sounded like a bunch of them yipping at the same time.

Coyotes are definitely a threat to pets, from cats to small/medium sized dogs. Yep, around the Castle we never turned down natural rodent control!

We also have a lot of assorted two-legged varmints here in this neck of the woods.....

Yes, that is a developing problem for all of us I'm afraid... the world is not what it once was, especially the US of A :( sorry for the negativity.

Well, besides my trail camera, we have security cameras watching our property, one I have both out front and out back takes a video clip if motion is detected and sends a notification to my phone to alert me, thankfully the only two legged creatures regularly detected (besides us) are an occasional delivery person and the person who reads the electric meter once a month, but it has notified me even when a deer or stray cat walks by :lol:

Thanks, how about Foxes, are they any threat to pets ?

(besides ones that are rabid and obviously a threat even to humans)

if the pet is very small, like a chihuahua perhaps. But foxes do not tend to run and hunt in packs like coyotes. Pack hunters can take down a large number of different, often larger, animals. KT thinks foxes are a bit more nocturnal in their habits. And yes, if you see a fox in broad daylight, just like raccoons, odds are they are rabid! The foxes that visited the Royal Woodpile were always there at dusk...do not know if they came by for breakfast or not as KT was always asleep! HA HA Rats and mice tend to be more active at night, so it stands to reason that their predators would be more active at night also.

We also have a lot of assorted two-legged varmints here in this neck of the woods but unfortunately they wont open up a season on them . :no:

We have recently had a trio of such 2-legged varmints in and out of our neighborhood. Sheriff has been here twice looking for them. One wears a backpack and another appears to have a small caliber rifle. This is one reason KT packs a pistol when He is outside. We do not yet know who they are and what they are up to. Could be just kids thinking with all the woods in the area they might spot some squirrels...but it is not squirrel season presently. An unknown person left their backpack on the driveway of our neighbors house and ran off...into the woods. Police were called but typical...after the fact arrival. Took the backpack tho. Me thinks they are up to no good, because kids do not just run away if they are not up to no good. Anyway, the entire neighborhood now knows about them, so is on the alert.

If they break into the Castle, it WILL BE open season on them!

Thanks, how about Foxes, are they any threat to pets ?

(besides ones that are rabid and obviously a threat even to humans)
I’ve seen coyotes several time run through my yard in broad daylight, I have a coop w/laying hens and have never had a problem with coyotes. I used to let the girls free range, but a couple years back while leaving for work I saw a healthy-looking red fox run across the road, late winter. Came home early around noon and first thing I saw was fox sitting in the front yard, chicken feathers spread across the front lawn. Looked like a massacre! I had to yell to get the fox to run. Thankfully, things looked worse than they were, fox nabbed only one hen but another died later of shock. Now, I only let the girls out under supervision. Actually, I have more trouble with sharp shinned and red tail hawks. Bald eagles not a problem yet, but next door neighbor had one in his backyard on the ground, hovering over a ground hog dinner.

if the pet is very small, like a chihuahua perhaps. But foxes do not tend to run and hunt in packs like coyotes. Pack hunters can take down a large number of different, often larger, animals. KT thinks foxes are a bit more nocturnal in their habits. And yes, if you see a fox in broad daylight, just like raccoons, odds are they are rabid! The foxes that visited the Royal Woodpile were always there at dusk...do not know if they came by for breakfast or not as KT was always asleep! HA HA Rats and mice tend to be more active at night, so it stands to reason that their predators would be more active at night also.

So how many does it take to be considered a pack ? :lol:

The reason I ask is the recent videos are agreed to be foxes but there seems to be more than one and that loud yipping I heard sure sounded like a bunch of them :lol:

I’ve seen coyotes several time run through my yard in broad daylight, I have a coop w/laying hens and have never had a problem with coyotes. I used to let the girls free range, but a couple years back while leaving for work I saw a healthy-looking red fox run across the road, late winter. Came home early around noon and first thing I saw was fox sitting in the front yard, chicken feathers spread across the front lawn. Looked like a massacre! I had to yell to get the fox to run. Thankfully, things looked worse than they were, fox nabbed only one hen but another died later of shock. Now, I only let the girls out under supervision. Actually, I have more trouble with sharp shinned and red tail hawks. Bald eagles not a problem yet, but next door neighbor had one in his backyard on the ground, hovering over a ground hog dinner.

Wow, you had to yell to get the fox to run ?

I would have figured they would shy away and run with just seeing you.

I plan on checking the trail camera for new videos clips again on Monday, wanted to give it a few days to have a better chance of catching some more critters, if I get new fox videos or videos of critters other than the usual deer, occasional stray cat or rabbit, ect. I'll consider posting those also.

Got to get the lawn tractor out and get some grass cut right now, will check back a little later.

Wow, you had to yell to get the fox to run ?

I would have figured they would shy away and run with just seeing you.
Yes, then he ran to the corner of my house and sat down. I went in to get my rifle, came outside and fox was gone.

Yes, then he ran to the corner of my house and sat down. I went in to get my rifle, came outside and fox was gone.

....smart fox :laughing:

I mowed the worst of my yard for now, will do the weed-wacking, ect later or even another day, but I did make sure to also mow the area around where the trail camera is pointed :lol: (want to eventually cut down some of those small trees to widen the view more where the trail camera is pointed)

Foxes and raccoons have caused a lot of problems with my neighbor's chickens. Worst are raccoons. They literally killed one of her chickens by reaching through a chicken wire fence and pulling the chicken through the fencing, eating it as it did it. Almost nothing left but feathers and blood all over the fencing. :shock::shock:

Foxes and raccoons have caused a lot of problems with my neighbor's chickens. Worst are raccoons. They literally killed one of her chickens by reaching through a chicken wire fence and pulling the chicken through the fencing, eating it as it did it. Almost nothing left but feathers and blood all over the fencing. :shock::shock:

Sounds like maybe they need to make a double wall fencing far enough apart where they can't reach thru to the inside fencing.

I have done a good bit of predator trapping for land owners in my area and have been hunting just about since I could walk. I can say without a doubt that videos 1,2, and 4 are foxes like everyone else has said. Video 3 looks more like coyotes running but they are pretty far back so I could be wrong. They just appear more lanky like a coyote. Your 2018 picture is definitely a coyote. Generally if you have red foxes around you don’t have many coyotes because coyotes will kill red fox but in my experience the yipping and howling you hear is much more likely to be coyotes than fox. Also your pets should be relatively safe with the foxes unless they are very small but coyotes have been known to snatch cats and small dogs.

I have done a good bit of predator trapping for land owners in my area and have been hunting just about since I could walk. I can say without a doubt that videos 1,2, and 4 are foxes like everyone else has said. Video 3 looks more like coyotes running but they are pretty far back so I could be wrong. They just appear more lanky like a coyote. Your 2018 picture is definitely a coyote. Generally if you have red foxes around you don’t have many coyotes because coyotes will kill red fox but in my experience the yipping and howling you hear is much more likely to be coyotes than fox. Also your pets should be relatively safe with the foxes unless they are very small but coyotes have been known to snatch cats and small dogs.

Thanks, very interesting info, don't have time for an extended reply right now, but will respond in more detail later.

Thanks, is there any noticeable difference between the yipping of coyotes and the yipping of foxes ? I tried recording the yipping episode I heard a while back but it stopped by the time I got the recording going on my phone. I was going to see if there was online recordings of yipping to compare it to.

Our dog is a border collie/beagle mix a little over 70 lbs, not a super big dog but not a real small dog either, but when I take her outside to go potty she is on a harness and leash for her own protection, she used to be scared of deer when she was a puppy, but now she would want to chase after them, definitely not a good idea so I have to protect her from her own bravery, other than that she is a very smart dog :lol:

I plan on checking the trail camera again tomorrow since it will have been several days, with the current activity I think I'll check it maybe twice a week, unless I hear yipping then I might check it the very next day, if I see any videos worth posting I'll add them to this thread as I get them.

Honestly I have never heard foxes make a lot of noise at all. Even ones that I have caught have been fairly quiet other than growling. Coyotes here usually sound like a mixture of yips and high pitched howls when they get going. A siren from an emergency vehicle will really get them going. There are some videos online of foxes barking and yipping though.

Honestly I have never heard foxes make a lot of noise at all. Even ones that I have caught have been fairly quiet other than growling. Coyotes here usually sound like a mixture of yips and high pitched howls when they get going. A siren from an emergency vehicle will really get them going. There are some videos online of foxes barking and yipping though.

Thanks, good idea, I'll have to check out some videos of foxes barking/yipping and then some of coyotes yipping and see how it compares with what I remember hearing the other night and also whenever I'd hear it again.

Back
Top Bottom