Digging 'Junk" Signals

roadrunner_426

Elite Member
I came up with 2 of my best sterling jewelry finds last week and it occurred to me that EVERY real piece of jewelry found this entire year has come from digging a "junk" signal..the can slaw, foil wrap, etc. can be a real pain to unearth , but being able to slowly fill the "keeper box" is a pretty good pay-off for the extra work... HH Roadrunner_426

I'm starting to find alot of truth in the junk signals. I dug up a coin today that read foil the entire time.... the all metal beeps are a bit annoying but Im thinking of trying it more and more.

When I started out detecting about 26 years ago I remember the old guys saying "dig more signals, even the marginal ones". I thought, yeah but that's a lot of work & all.
Well in the last 15 years I have been digging more and my finds have been shooting up a lot. Also, nickels are a very good sign of getting down with the gold & silver goods. The more nickels I get the more goodies I get. steve in so az

IMHO you need to dig the solid foil hits, sq tabs and pulltabs if you want to find Gold rings, not many Gold rings are found in the the high coin signals! H.H.:-)

If you can borrow an XLT it can be a real eye opener checking target I.D.'s.
Switch between discrim. and all metal pinpoint and you can see how the identification goes off by a mile if the hotspot of the coil is not sweeping directly over the target.
Same applies with all detectors but if you have a machine its difficult to pinpoint with then I.D. has to treated with even more suspicion.

I think Brian hit the nail on the head. I know on my DFX I can get all kinds of funky ID's UNLESS the target is directly below my hotspot. If I have any question at all on a signal I pinpoint it so as to know exactly where it's at, then I recheck the ID(motion mode) in short strokes and it seems to increase ID reliability 100 fold.

its only a junk signal if you dig it an its junk, if you don't dig it how do you really know its junk, the machine is guessing,so do you feel lucky as to what your machine has guessed :roll:

I hunted my daughter's yard and my detector was noisey probably interference. I found 7 wheaties and they were 5 to 6" deep. The signals were jumping around. Rob

I would have to agree with you Steve there has been days where I' was just locked on to the nickel and usually something nice comes along with them.
steve in so az said:
When I started out detecting about 26 years ago I remember the old guys saying "dig more signals, even the marginal ones". I thought, yeah but that's a lot of work & all.
Well in the last 15 years I have been digging more and my finds have been shooting up a lot. Also, nickels are a very good sign of getting down with the gold & silver goods. The more nickels I get the more goodies I get. steve in so az

Are you saying to keep the disc on accept all metal or just to dig all signal that come through with the use of disc?

Back
Top Bottom