Dumbest questions people ask

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
It never surprises me what people ask you when you are hunting. Today a guys asked me if i could ask him find his rope chain.... he lost it in the water. When.... last monday. That wasnt even the question that raised my eye brow. When i asked approximately where.... he said somewhere between here and the boye. There is like a 20 acres where he was pointing.... and most was well over my head not to mention the waves were 8 Ft today. My response was.... sorry dude its gone. Some others are:

Can you find metal things with that?
Can i try your detector?
Does that thing use batteries?
Would you mind if my kids tag along?
Can you help me find my kids toy car?

I think i could write a book....

Dew

Don't feel bad... I was asked to stop water hunting by park rangers who were told by a nice lady I was clamming out of season... when the ranger saw my detector coming out of the water behind me he let me continue :)

It never surprises me what people ask you when you are hunting. Today a guys asked me if i could ask him find his rope chain.... he lost it in the water. When.... last monday. That wasnt even the question that raised my eye brow. When i asked approximately where.... he said somewhere between here and the boye. There is like a 20 acres where he was pointing.... and most was well over my head not to mention the waves were 8 Ft today. My response was.... sorry dude its gone. Some others are:

Can i try your detector?

Dew

My "would be" answers:

#1: Actually its a dirt detector...
#2: Sure! Hey can I borrow your car? I have a few errands...
#3: no, its air operated. (then proceed to blow into the screen)
#4: kids? Oh sure! (while pulling out the lesche)
#5: if you agree to be the digger.

I can beat that. I had a fellow (whom I had never met before in my life) ask me if he could borrow my metal detector because he had lost a ring in the woods up north. I told him "No". I'm usually a pushover, but "No".

The few people that actually approach me and ask i tell them it's a metal detector, then they ask if it can detect gold too.....

Stupidity

All those moronic questions made me want to post a parallel regarding the present occupant of the Oval Office but I think I'll stick with... Yeah, I get some doozies too. :-)

This is why i like the hobby,,,,, never no what you will find or who you may meet. Using a water machine but for a short time.... im just amazed how many more questions ive gotten compared to dirt digging. Most people look at us dirt digger as some one to avoid.... kid of like a homeless person.

Dew

I was detecting a park one day and woman asked me what I was doing? I said, "I'm looking for gophers". Her reply surprised me.....She said, "I thought that's what you were doing because I see you keep swinging your device over the gopher mounds. Have you caught any yet?" I replied, "Nope, but I did find a few coins in their dirt piles." She said, "Good luck. I hope you catch a few of them. They're everywhere in this park." Heheheheheeee

I replied with the same answer another day at a park after a little girl asked me what I was doing? She immediately ran to her Father and told him, "Daddy, that man told me he was looking for gophers". Her father walked over to me and was a little perturbed that I gave her daughter false information, because he knew exactly what I was doing. Some folks just can't take a joke....

Another popular one where I hunt is, "You should take that machine down to Mexico and look for an image of a fire coming up from the ground....that's where the gold Centenarios are buried...."

Raphis

I get asked almost every time I go out, as I'm standing in chest deep water with my m-d submerged, 'is that thing waterproof'?

Had a kid a few weeks ago on the beach ask if I could "sniff for my mother's diamond?" Looked over at the mom and wanted to tell the kid that it depended on where he thought I should sniff but thought better of it.

Stupid questions are a pet peeve of mine.

Do you ever actually find anything with that?

What are you looking for?

Those are my top two. They are what they are...wicked stupid questions. Anyway...HH -Joe

Can i try your detector?

Dew

I had a lady once approach me and ask how in the world I caught fish with that thing..

My response..

" I lure then in with the sounds waves see" I said raising the coil, "and then when they are entranced, I bash their tiny heads in with this metal scoop."

lady: " Do you get a lot of fish?"

Me:"No but Im real patient, they hardly ever see it coming!"

My "would be" answers:
#4: kids? Oh sure! (while pulling out the lesche)

That reminds me of an episode of "the unit" I saw once.

Bob brown went to meet someone in a park somewhere. Unfortunately there was a woman sitting on the bench where he was supposed to meet, watching her kid in the totlot. So brown came up with a plan to "clear the area".

He sat down next to the woman and cordially said "nice looking kid".
"Thank you" the woman smiled and said.
A few seconds pass...and brown says rather salaciously "NICE looking kid. REALLY nice".

Needless to say, the woman quickly cleared out with her child in tow. Mission accomplished! :lol:

Gotta love the kids... Once at a tot lot, a young boy came up to me and asked if I could find his sock...:lol: Said not to tell his mom, or she'd get real mad at him...

Most common question I get:

"What's the most expensive thing you ever found?"

"On the beach?"

"Yeah."

"My wife."

Of course we all hear "Find anything?" in our sleep! But you get the occasional wise guy that says "Hey did ya find my Rolex yet?" Then I smile and say "Was that yours? Oh man, I had an awesome time in the Islands!"

Also, I have had more than a few say "Did ya catch anything?"...usually the ladies say that but the last guy that asked me that I replied .."Well I caught the clap back in '74 but penicillin is a wonderful thing isn't it!":lol:

The dumbest question I get is: do you ever find anything? No, but it beats spending $30. a month to go to a smelly gym.

The question I hate the most is: What is the most expensive thing you have ever found? Why should it be any of their business? I hate that question. I sometimes answer by politely asking if they are with the IRS? while trying to walk away. If they are nice, "my wife" is the normal answer.

Back
Top Bottom