Scoop discussion

bigstemz

Banned
Was looking into getting the monstrik 9 scoop. Looks masive and a great addition to my equipment. Was curious if anyone had this scoop or other stavr scoops and could tell me your likes and dislikes about them. Thanks

HH

Last edited:
The scoop junkie I am, If he was not so far away I would own one. I think he has some of the best looking and have only seen one or two that has had issues. I don't think you could go wrong with any of his...Heard he is very good on shipping time also...........Got a link or Pic of it?

I own one (evroexcavator) and it's a beast. Well made and the guy shipped it really fast. I have used it a lot and it is showing tiny bits of surface rust but this doesn't seem to really be a problem. Will keep going for a few more years I think! The maker is a trustworthy guy to deal with though so no worries there. :D

i LIKE THE 6

Ya i like them to,but over sea's na,his site doesn.t look secure,just a email address come on,hey the scoop maker's here better get on the ball,i like an 8x12 with all 1/4 round holes,the contruction of that scoop looked good,and handle placement,the priceis a bit high if the handle is not included,big stemz it looks like the 6 has smaller holes for catching the studs,and is 11 inches long,Joe you called it wright,Earl

Ya i like them to,but over sea's na,his site doesn.t look secure,just a email address come on,hey the scoop maker's here better get on the ball,i like an 8x12 with all 1/4 round holes,the contruction of that scoop looked good,and handle placement,the priceis a bit high if the handle is not included,big stemz it looks like the 6 has smaller holes for catching the studs,and is 11 inches long,Joe you called it wright,Earl

I bought the Proscoop http://www.prostockdetectors.com/REVC.html for the reasons you gave....1/4 inch holes and wide mouth, plus it helps keep another American company from closing it's doors.

If someone made a scoop like one of those proscoops, with the 1/4" square holes, but with a 20 degree angle in the back, it would be the perfect scoop.

That one

I bought the Proscoop http://www.prostockdetectors.com/REVC.html for the reasons you gave....1/4 inch holes and wide mouth, plus it helps keep another American company from closing it's doors.

That scoop looks great but the only thing I don't like is that the handle is str8 and I like the angled handles a lot more. They really help for surf digging. Plus it is ez to add a bit of mesh wire to the inside for studs!

Pic

The scoop junkie I am, If he was not so far away I would own one. I think he has some of the best looking and have only seen one or two that has had issues. I don't think you could go wrong with any of his...Heard he is very good on shipping time also...........Got a link or Pic of it?

Here you go beech, http://stavrscoop.com/en/13-sand-scoop-monstrik-9.html

I like the big scoops, really helps you get down to the goods! I really like your diablo but it's not coming out soon enough!

beachhog.а название модели evroexcavator - переводится с русского как экскаватор для копания евро монет.
хотя и японские монеты копать тоже замечательно.... :)

and the model name evroexcavator - translated from Russian as a backhoe to dig the euro coins.
Although Japanese coins to dig too great .... :)

I have had a Krepish now for about 3 months. Strong, less than 4lbs (incl. handle), and big. Holes are about 3/8". Slightly smaller would be ideal, but I love it, so far.
By the way, a strong ash handle from Home Depot cost about $8.50, and only weighs a little over a pound
Marc

If someone made a scoop like one of those proscoops, with the 1/4" square holes, but with a 20 degree angle in the back, it would be the perfect scoop.

They were to have a 20 degree bracket for those scoops. They should be out by now, worth a call to find out. It has been one heck of a scoop even with the straight handle, but the 20 degree would make it even better.

Scoop/ Canslaw

Canslaw not bad but :no: #1,the handle insert is on the back of your scoop :no:,i like mine more forward like the sun-spot :yes:,in the rear :no:, results in more handle stress & breakage :yes:,# 2 i like a scoop that take's a round handle insert :yes:,they hold up better than the square one's, perfect example in one of Max's video's he broke :no: his square handle that was mounted on his rear mounted scoop to much stress & pressure :shock:, on a square handle that's mounted in the rear, #3 i want 1/4 inch round holes :yes:, scoop,like your square pattern looks, like the 6 stavrscoop,alot of people made scoop's like your's that didn't know all the flaw's :shock::yes: which resulted in so many scoop maker's,and different patterns :yes:,I am looking for a manufacturer,that will make a scoop 8 or 9 wide,6 or 7 tall,12 or 13 long,14 or 12 gage all stainless steel,1/4 inch round holes all over,round pole more forward mounted,with suports for strenth better than the stavrscoop, a foot pad that is sturdy& big enough,20 degree angled scoop,,someone will hit the mother load :yes: $$$$$,when this scoop is made,RTG,Sunspot none,Stavrscoop close with the 6 over sea's not USA,i dont like that round rod support on them,your's has flaw's,i am still looking for the perfect scoop,built wright,like i want that last's,and will never break,Earl

Canslaw not bad but :no: #1,the handle insert is on the back of your scoop :no:,i like mine more forward like the sun-spot :yes:,in the rear :no:, results in more handle stress & breakage :yes:,# 2 i like a scoop that take's a round handle insert :yes:,they hold up better than the square one's, perfect example in one of Max's video's he broke :no: his square handle that was mounted on his rear mounted scoop to much stress & pressure :shock:, on a square handle that's mounted in the rear, #3 i want 1/4 inch round holes :yes:, scoop,like your square pattern looks, like the 6 stavrscoop,alot of people made scoop's like your's that didn't know all the flaw's :shock::yes: which resulted in so many scoop maker's,and different patterns :yes:,I am looking for a manufacturer,that will make a scoop 8 or 9 wide,6 or 7 tall,12 or 13 long,14 or 12 gage all stainless steel,1/4 inch round holes all over,round pole more forward mounted,with suports for strenth better than the stavrscoop, a foot pad that is sturdy& big enough,20 degree angled scoop,,someone will hit the mother load :yes: $$$$$,when this scoop is made,RTG,Sunspot none,Stavrscoop close with the 6 over sea's not USA,i dont like that round rod support on them,your's has flaw's,i am still looking for the perfect scoop,built wright,like i want that last's,and will never break,Earl

Gotta agree with you Earl - what you're asking for is ideally what I'd like to have as well. It would make for an excellent "all around" scoop for water hunting imho.

From A Scoop Makers Perspective

Canslaw not bad but :no: #1,the handle insert is on the back of your scoop :no:,i like mine more forward like the sun-spot :yes:,in the rear :no:, I'm not sure I agree that .075 or even 1 handle thickness makes a significant differanceresults in more handle stress & breakage :yes:,# 2 i like a scoop that take's a round handle insert :yes:,they hold up better than the square one's
You would really have to show me some data that would explain why a bigger pc of wood (sq) would be weaker than a smaller pc of wood (circle)., perfect example in one of Max's video's he broke :no: his square handle that was mounted on his rear mounted scoop to much stress & pressure :shock:, on a square handle that's mounted in the rear, #3 i want 1/4 inch round holes :yes
The sq hole pattern was the culmination of many different hole patterns, it cuts thru fine stuff in the water better than the round holes and hands down out drains them in dry sand although the pro was designed for water not dry.scoop,like your square pattern looks, like the 6 stavrscoop actually the starscoop looks like the Pro which has been around in one revision or another for approx. 10 years!,alot of people made scoop's like your's that didn't know all the flaw's been working in precision sheet metal for 30 years, and involved in design for over 20 so probably not just guessing!!!!! However I will concede that no matter how good it looks on the computer there is no substitute for actuall dig time on a design!!!!:shock::yes: which resulted in so many scoop maker's,and different patterns :yes:,I am looking for a manufacturer,that will make a scoop 8 or 9 wide,6 or 7 tall,12 or 13 long, your pretty much describing the Grave Digger that Max is using. Except the original was 12" long which proved to be to much!14 or 12 gage all stainless steel,1/4 inch round holes all over,round pole more forward mounted,with suports for strenth better than the stavrscoop, a foot pad that is sturdy& big enough,20 degree angled scoop,,someone will hit the mother load :yes: $$$$$,when this scoop is made,RTG,Sunspot none,Stavrscoop close with the 6 over sea's not USA,i dont like that round rod support on them,your's has flaw's,i am still looking for the perfect scoop,built wright,like i want that last's,and will never break,Earl

I addressed some of the issues that you have presented. The remarks are not meant in a derogatory or antaganistic manner just as seen from my perspective.
All of the main manufacturers of scoops are trying to make a good product for a fair price. I can make a scoop that will last your lifetime, but you may not be able to carry it. And believe me when I say that everyone has a better idea for a scoop.
I put the handle out of the basket so items wouldn't get wedged between the handle and basket something that I was advised was a problem.
And although having the handle inside the back wall instead of outside would in fact move the fulcrum 1.5" closer, having the entire length of handle in a brkt instead of the other option certainly spreads the load over more area. Realistically however the handle will breaki at the point where it is not supported, right were it exits the metal. Broken handles have not been an issue for me. They have occurred but believe me any handle out there can be mangled in the hands of certain
individuals!!!

I have experimented with many many holes designs and haven't found anything that works any better, but will concede that the hexagon shape is geometrically superior, just ask the honey bee's they have perfected it over millions of years.
And if it drained so superior to the sq hole design I'd buy the punch & die! The webb between the geometry is more important than the geometry in my opinion. And there in lies the problem with round holes, the webb has to be bigger, they don't nest as well. So it doesn't drain as well (smaller area) and its heavier, unless you just really like round holes, why?

I realize that there is a demand for an angled handle but have not been able to come up with a retro fittable design that can pass the dig test. I think it's important to not abandon the folks who use the Pro now, and neither of us wants a design that won't stand up to the test of time.

I happen to be a metal detectorist that owns a precision sheet metal shop in the GOOD OLE U.S. of A.
I am in persuit of the perfect scoop, although I doubt that I will ever find it, I will continue looking!

I would also like to address all of the home scoop builders, more power to you! You may be the person that does come up with the perfect scoop so don't stop trying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve :-)

Attachments

• turret for card.jpg
    turret for card.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,016
  • amada brake press.jpg
    amada brake press.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,034
  • left side of nest.jpg
    left side of nest.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • right side of nest.jpg
    right side of nest.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • in the turret.jpg
    in the turret.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,020
Why does an angled handle have to be retrofitable? Why not just make a new model. You can still produce and support straight handles for those that want or use them as well as the angled for those (me) that prefer that option.

To each there own. My handle is a round handle. Sanded a 1/16 of an inch on 2 sides with a belt sander and the handle slid right in. All I can say this scoop is working great for me and I couldn't be happier with it. When you find your "perfect" scoop, be sure to let us know. In the mean time, I will be digging with fast recover, catching small stud targets without any modifications. And it is made in America if I do need a repair, which I don't see happening.

Why does an angled handle have to be retrofitable? Why not just make a new model. You can still produce and support straight handles for those that want or use them as well as the angled for those (me) that prefer that option.

I've actually been working on an adjustable angle brkt. Brkt is solid as a rock, scoop doesn't want to play nice. The top is the weak link. If you look at the scoop that Max uses you will see I narrowed the top and put in a gusset to tranfer stress along the the back (strongest part) and into the bottom. In reality it also transferred some stress to the welds where the top meets the sides and caused the welds to fatigue and crack from flexing. Had the handle been on top angled or straight the problem would have been even worse. Its pretty easy to come up with a possible solution, but hard to make it stay summer year round to test it out.

And nothing gets released until it gets put thru the ringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or Max. LOL

Steve :-)

90* and 80*

there is no perfect scoop for all types of beach hunting.......

beach make up really varies from location to location....here on the ocean front, mostly sand and small shells.........my GDM proto type that steve made is the best i have ever used........in two years, i have saved many many studs and smaller items that fall thru. most 1/2 / 5/8 holes.

take it to the northern territory and the wash zone.........all scoops will fill full of large and med. shells, nothing sifts out..........HOLE SIZE MATTERS LITTLE and scoops full of shells weight much.

that is why we need different scoops for digging different areas.

NOW 90* AND 80*..............for over 16 years i used 80* handles.....tried two models of sunspots....sold them and one day ups truck stops by and drops off two of steves scoops for testing with nice ash handle...90*...god, i fight it for like 3 days.

on the 4th day.............glory.....i think back alot on that day and how much more proficent the 90* handle is....
Greg gave me one of his Diablo scoops two weeks ago for testing and asked what kind of handle i wanted, i opted for wood. the diablo is 80* and it works good in the water so far and i fight the 80*, but i do not like it.

it is hard to explain unless u get use to the 90*, but i would never go back to using anything else....E V E R.................just my opinion.
the best ever so far for those of you that have not seen this baby.

Attachments

• 5 PAD.jpg
    5 PAD.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 3 WEIGHT.jpg
    3 WEIGHT.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 6 HANDLE.jpg
    6 HANDLE.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 995
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 979
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 990
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 987
  • 10 COMPLETE.jpg
    10 COMPLETE.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 977
steve/Max

Steve i sent you what you asked for,as in Max's video his handle broke on the air,if you look at his pick on the last post, the handle is already waring out from the location of the mount from pressure, and stress and other's have had problem's with ware, and breakage, due to the rear mount,sun-spot mounts inside the bucket,Stavr scoop mounts the pole mount to the scoop,like i like- minus the skinny rod suports,i sent Steve (kaptainKosmic) all the dementions i want,plus he will have input on producing the most wanted waterscoop on this forum:shock::yes:Max THE PERFECT SCOOP for all the people that prefur a large heavy duty stainless steel all welded scoop with all 1/4 inch round holes bigger than the sun-spot 8x12,with a 5 ft round pole,KaptainKosmic has the BALL NOW,all dementions,contruction,mounting,with Steve's state of the art HD pole bracket to scoop mount,xtra large HD foot pad,will be soon in production with his approval,sorry guy's i get the 1st 2 scoops,Check back with Steve on the waiting time in a few week's here it comes THE PERFECT SCOOP,( the scoop will have a 20 degree forward mount) Earl

Back
Top Bottom