Long handle Shallow Water Scoop - I need help !!

Marty115

I need some good advice !!

I am in the market for a good shallow water long handle scoop for hunting at the beach in the water along with my underwater detector.
Question: What Type brand manufacturer do you guys use? I am thinking stainless steel, 47-48" overall length. About 6" in diameter. A mesh screen at the bottom to catch the smaller items, with 1/2" holes. Price range about $145. An additional handle near the bucket to help bring up the bucket.

You pros out there am I thinking right? How about flotation of the scoop and maybe a tether on the end? How do you guys rig the scoop and is the mesh screen a good idea. Best size holes? Sorry about all the questions. Thanks Marty

Scoop?

For water hunting get the widest scoop you can handle. Especially if you are hunting in the surf with constant waves. The first scoop full is very important. I never used a floating screen. I hunt the water for a while then the wet sand and keep rotating. Just like swimming. Sometimes I just got to get out of the water. Never wanted to have a floater to worry about. Lake hunting or fresh water would probably be better for that. I hunt a couple blocks long during a hunt. I like to keep it simple.

Stainless or aluminum? Depends how strong you are I guess. Stainless is tougher. If you are digging in rock it will hold up a whole lot longer.

I just picked this scoop up for next year. The wooden handle will float. A third party lifting handle can be added to any scoop. Adding a screen to a scoop seems like a problem waiting to happen. Scoops take abuse plain and simple. Sand is a nasty abrasive. Get yourself a quality scoop and practice pinpointing in your yard and positioning your scoop with out looking.

Attachments

• Scoop (640x480).jpg
    Scoop (640x480).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 3,864
scoop type

I live in Florida and thought a mesh screen in the bottom of the scoop is an aid. What type of scoop are you showing, from where? I am 6'1" and in decent shape. Thought the stainless would hold up better.

Scoop competition

Here is one with the best warranty in the market...3 yrs..... believe me no one else can say that! Sunspot is one of the best out there if not the BEST! 25 plus yrs. in the making....can't go wrong for $50 more. :D

http://www.gold-scoop.com/index.html

What do you think about the scoop that is shown above? I looked up that scoop you recommended and the round handle is attached with a single u bolt. Is that a problem? Thanks

What do you think about the scoop that is shown above? I looked up that scoop you recommended and the round handle is attached with a single u bolt. Is that a problem? Thanks

No problem.....like I said, 25 yrs. in the making! ;)

I forgot to mention that I change the handle this yr. after five yrs. used....

http://www.colonialmetaldetectors.com/Water-Scoop--43-Hardwood-Handle-SS_p_98.html#

Very good basic dry sand and water scoop thats built to last and is very comfortable to use/well designed. One of the first scoops I ever purchased and one I still use regularly. Tried Sunspot, tried a few knockoffs but keep coming back to this design.
In the water I tend to carry my custom SS scoop made specially to my needs but this SS cage and wooden handle combo is a real winner when it comes to shoveling #100-#150 sand holes per hunt. Pic is of my 6" custom design further modified with 1/2" and 1/4" cobalt drilled filtration holes in the bill for less weight and decreased sifting time. A few added rare earth magnets to the cage catch the pinpoint garbage with the Excal and the DF :?: You just never know what's in the bucket when your working that boyant 12" yellow coil:lol:
Hope this info helps you make a decision:)

Attachments

• Modified.jpg
    Modified.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 3,675
Do a search for magnum water scoop if you are interested in the one above.

Found this cool Scoop on another US forum from a happy customer.
I've just ordered one of these scoops from this guy in the Ukraine $145.00 US delivered to Japan. www.stavrscoop.com
http://stavruslan.rutube.ru/movies?oby=upload&r=1

He emailed me back the same day, at the moment he needs 10-20 days lead time I think he must just make them to order. Have to pay for it once it's ready to send.
Seems legit enough but buyer beware. Just letting you know what's out there.

HH
18kRonin:waytogo:

"A mesh screen at the bottom to catch the smaller items, with 1/2" holes"

at the beach........in the water there are many many small good targets that escape most scoops.........they will driveu crazy trying to find and see them mixed in with sand and gravel mix or whatever makeup your beach has.

most add wire mesh to the sides and ends to try and catch these small treasures.

whatever scoop u decide on, make sure it has some bill lenght, u do not want to be pushing in the top part of the scoop along with the bottom part at the same time.

angled handel or 90*............s/s scoop, alum. scoop..............u have many choices
most just carry scoop over shoulder or drag.............some even use floation.....the wooden handle ones float alone............wood is easy to grip, but some do not like 90* handle.

good luck

Aquaman has a nice nice scoop......fast for sifting....nice set up, but

examples

Attachments

• STUDS720.jpg
    STUDS720.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 3,645
  • TINYWK2.jpg
    TINYWK2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 3,609
Well just a heads up from my earlier post on a new scoop. I've been using it now for the past month. After a long search for a bigger lightweight scoop I found this guy on another metal detecting forum who is in the Ukraine and making the most amazing lightweight scoops. At 1,067g it's almost 1kg lighter than my old scoop and a lot bigger. Cost $145 USD shipping included plus the $15 USD to wire the money. I think to the US is the same cost.
You still need to get a handle. What impressed me about this scoop was the weight, design and workmanship, the welds were perfect, the service the best, he emailed back the same day and after shipping even emailed me to tell me that the scoop had reached Japan. He makes them to order so the lead time is around 2 to 3 weeks plus shipping time. Well worth the wait.

Scoop-002.gif

Scoop-001.gif

Scoop-004.gif

Scoop-003.gif

Scoop-006.gif

Pretty hard to beat the Sunspot scoop The 2 outer ones are Sun-Spot (large & small) and the center is the old style Mike from MI scoop (discontinued-mistake IMHO with the large foot pad) all have wood floating handles

Attachments

• 3 scoops.jpg
    3 scoops.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 3,223
Diablo, Exotic metals scoop

Stainless Steel Diablo, I tested this summer and gave feedback on the changes needed. I have not seen the new one because a patent is in the works And I am hoping to have several working proto types in a month or so to ship out to a few hunters for testing and feedback. I do know the changes have been a rounded nose, instead of the point..which the point kicks to the side sometimes when digging. A longer nose, total length will be around 13 inchs, by 6.5 inchs wide, and more of a traditional scoop look instead of the bucket look. One of the main design features is weight, Stainless Steel scoops most of the time come in at more then 5 pounds, this one will be offered in a super lite, stronger then SS model for the Old Goats like me that want a lifetime scoop that is not a burden when I'm 80. Like detectors, this scoop is not for every beach, Large Rocky Beachs are out, The best there would be the Sunspot or one like Max's, and Goodmores. Only one other place did I encounter a problem was a lake I hunted where the scoop would not remove enough sand because it was passing thur the hole to fast and remainiing in the target hole. That's where the Miller Scoop works the best. I don't think this scoop is a do all, beat all scoop, but I think it has some great design features that several are looking for as we are living longer and want to enjoy the hobby as long as we can. And not be in pain from a heavy, slow sifting scoop.

Go to:

www.golddiggermetaldetectors.com

Click on accessories, then click on sand scoops.

Check out the great selection.

I'm a rookie, but asked for the same scoop used by the guys in Beach Hunter videos. That scoop was the BB5. Now replaced by the new and improved version, the BB6. it's an aluminum 6 inch scoop with 48 inch handle.

According to the shop's owner and fellow beach hunter, Ron, it is the go-to scoop in NJ. My BB5 works great.

Lastly, Oldbeachnut has a vid where he is usung a scoop with a pull handle. Maybe he can chime back in with info in that scoop.

Scoops

Lastly, Oldbeachnut has a vid where he is usung a scoop with a pull handle. Maybe he can chime back in with info in that scoop.

The Digging end of the gang

Attachments

• the gang.jpg
    the gang.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 3,141
My scoops.
call at least one model of competitive scoop that can beat my At least 1-2 parameters?

Attachments

• evroex v22.jpg
    evroex v22.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 2,984
  • krepish-v11E.jpg
    krepish-v11E.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,233
  • monstrik-10.jpg
    monstrik-10.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 3,095
  • Monstrik-9E.jpg
    Monstrik-9E.jpg