Pretty UNreale find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I myself have zero intentions of ever selling this coin so I am not worried about it one way or another. Now when I dug my 1916D merc I sent it in to be authenticated even though I will not sell it I wanted it slabbed.

so you wanted to authenticate a mercury dime but not an almost 300 year old Spanish Mill dollar thats in "about uncirculated " condition :okay:

I'm still offering to show these pictures off to some people who would know what it is , do I have your permission??

so you wanted to authenticate a mercury dime but not an almost 300 year old Spanish Mill dollar thats in "about uncirculated " condition :okay:

I'm still offering to show these pictures off to some people who would know what it is , do I have your permission??
yep I did! The merc I dug is worth around $1,600 and I have had my local coin shop offer me $1,200 for it. I wanted it slabbed, but doubt i will ever do that again unless I find something VERY valuable!

Very cool find G4E! As to whether it's real or not, who really cares? I don't see anyone trying to pass something off as real, and sell for book value. I see a very cool, very rare find in metal detecting, that is all. If it is real, super congrats and you are one lucky Son of a Gun, if it's not, oh well, someone else show me another they dug. I wouldn't send it in, or to any professionals either, I would always like the "What if" thought more than the definitive answer on something like this. It's 400 dollars, not 400,000!

here is an interesting link with a bit of info on a counterfeit 1739 8 reale ,
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Coin-Collecting-2297/2010/2/1739-VTRAQUE-VNUM-Coin.htm

there were modern asian fakes as well as earlier type too.

I think you may be correct. In the answer he mentions how to spot a fake and real, and this coin appears to be a replica copy based on the exact same discrepancy in size of the flowered rosettes on the right side of the pillars being different than the flowered rosettes on the left side which is a giveaway of a replica.

quote: Unfortunately I can tell you from the picture that this is a modern Asian-made replica. The surface and details are not what they would look like on a 270 year old coin. The biggest thing that gave it away was the 4 leaf rosettes. If you look at the two on the right side of the pillars, the leaves are very close together, while on the left side they are far apart. On genuine coins they took much greater care and you would not see such asymmetry.

Back
Top Bottom