Using a Screwdriver

slp45

Can someone tell me really how to use a screwdriver to dig coins? I'm in PA. and whenever I dig there are stones. How do you use a thin screwdriver to tell when you hit a coin or a ring? I would like to try one but can't figure out how to use one. Please be very detailed, Thanks in advance. Scott :?:

not sure how they do it up north, but in Fl there are no rocks or very few in most area, so I can tell when I hit a coin, from the sound an the feel, then I just push a little deeper an tilt the screwdriver up an most times the coin will come up, go for about 3 to 4" down max, I can't really see doing that with a ring, not much of a surface area. O f course pennies, nickles an quaters or the easiest,but dimes can be tricky past 2" down.

I use the probe in good soil to locate coins. I know what you mean about rocks, I found a lot of them when I was in Texas. In rocky soil I usually don't probe. My MXT pinpoints very good. In rocky soil I pinpoint with the detector, then insert the screwdriver in the ground several inches from where I think the coin is. With practice I know how deep to go after seeing how deep my detector says the coin is. I then lever out the coin. The screwdriver rips a slot in the ground. This does not cut the roots like it does when I cut a plug. If the coin doesn't come up I spread the slot with my fingers and use my Bullseye to look for the coin. After finding the coin all I have to do is push the two sides of the groove together and it is an invisible patch that won't leave a brown square. Here is a picture of my popper with a probe on the other end. Rob

Attachments

• popper.jpg
    popper.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 356
Lets not forget to tell him to use a grinder and round off and blunt the tip so he won't scratch the surface of the coin!

Thanks for the info and the pic. I'll have to make one and give it a try. Nice Web site!

Here's a question, how do you pinpoint the coin/object with a DFX? Is it centered in the hole, around the edges or within the coil solid? I watch the bars and pinpoint to the best signal but do not always come up in the middle of the coil when I dig. This has had me confused since day one, any help is appreciated. (My son says my digging #%&*s)

Back
Top Bottom