Ace 350 coil question

Basser69

I have the 5x8 and the 8 1/2 x 11" coil. I have been running the smaller one on the local park/school yards. Is there an advantage of one over the other besides the coverage area? I am fairly new to all this and still learning all the details.
Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

I have a pair of 250s and I put a sniper coil (4") on one and an Ultimate coil(13") on the other. I use the sniper around fences, picnic tables, playground equipment and areas with a lot of ground trash. I use the other at the beach (dry sand), fields and football / baseball fields. :grin:

The larger the coil the larger the "footprint" is into the ground and the more likely to have what is called target masking , the machine reading more than one target at a time and when that happens it appears to be a poor target more often than not. For example if you had a dime under the coil with a nail , your detector will usually see it as one iron target. Beaches and large fields with very little trash are places for larger coils usually but for most other situations the small amount of depth you may gain with them isnt worth the frustration of extra target masking and missed goodies. For most general purpose detecting , especially if there is a good amount of trash in the ground you want to go smaller with the coil not larger.

I have the 350 also and I hunt around basketball courts and in tot lots. I get a lot of trash mixed with coins. so, I would be better off with a sniper coil?

DMD

The sniper is a great cool for tight spots and separating targets in very trashy sites. Downside is that you lose depth over the other two ACE coils. I have three sizes for my ACE 250 and they all see use. GL and HH. Matt

I have the 350 also and I hunt around basketball courts and in tot lots. I get a lot of trash mixed with coins. so, I would be better off with a sniper coil?

DMD

Tot lots, some of the small stuff will be picked up by the sniper coil only due to the higher sensitivity.
Lots of the stuff in tot lots is not too deep so that will work and the small coils are better around big iron.
I learned this week that some stuff might be really deep, not in mine, so far, but I have never really concentrated on finding that so the sniper coil first in a tot lot them follow it up with a larger, deeper coil to find the deeper stuff if you have time.

Now basketball courts and hunting other really trashy areas is my thing.
Because of the great amount of trash around these things, and also volleyball courts and picnic pavilions, the sniper coil is the only way to go to find the most and deal with the huge masking problems you can run into at site like these.

I have wrote much about hunting these kind of sites using sniper coils.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155196

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155390

Back
Top Bottom